A lifetime of emotional eating

Options
Mugwump100
Mugwump100 Posts: 5 Member
Really, I'm 64 years old and am still doing this. Never hungry, don't care what I eat. My favorite thing is to hide and eat. I never learn. Still hope to change this.

Replies

• lindabortner
    lindabortner Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I am 57, and i remember binge eating as a child. Always binged in secret.
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I am 26 and have been doing emotional eating since I can remember... I am hoping to eliminate it so that way I don't struggle all my life... I think it's a gene though, as my mom also does it, and my dad... so it seems.
  • oooooKATEooooo
    oooooKATEooooo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Same.
    I am 43.
    I eat mostly in my car.
    Fast food, pizza, chocolate.
    It's awful.

Starting a journey.
    I am seeing a therapist.
    My first goal was to have a breakfast smoothie - greek vanilla yogurt and fruit - daily and to drink more water.
    My next goal was to pack my lunch daily instead of having to make any decision as to what to eat once I am hungry for lunch. Day 3. So far, so good.
  • woznube7
    Options
    Great job! Day 3 has definitely been the toughest for me, but you're on the right track! Keep going!!
  • malika1976
    malika1976 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, it's not too late to change. What other things do you enjoy aside from eating? I wonder if it really is your favourite thing to hide and eat - it sounds like it's making you pretty miserable. I binge eat too (although a lot less frequently this year), and whilst I can't stop doing it, I'm not really happy when I'm overeating. The sugar rush is good but the feeling of being out of control is not. I think it will make me feel better but it never does (well, maybe it does momentarily but it makes me feel miserable for a lot longer than it makes me feel happy). I'm also finding it rewarding to spend the money I would have spent on food on new clothes (I have to because my old clothes are now falling down) and books, music, etc. But in January, when I started trying to lose weight, I didn't think it was possible.
  • woznube7
    Options
    Here are some things that I do:
    Go for a walk, or exercise of some sort.
    Drink some water (cliche, I know.. but it really does help!)
    Talk to someone (I come on here a lot, when I am feeling defeated or having cravings/urges)
    Watch t.v. (and I exercise while I am doing that)
    Clean

I think that you are on the right track with your food choices (and I struggle with that daily). Don't let the backward steps defeat you. It didn't happen over night, so it won't happen over night. :) I always have to tell myself that.
  • ahealthiercara
    ahealthiercara Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    malika1976 wrote: »
    it makes me feel miserable for a lot longer than it makes me feel happy

This. So much this. In those moments when my whole self is aching to eat to numb something or comfort myself and I just *know* that food is the only thing that will get me through, I need to remember this.