Switched from ZR5k and ZR, yay fun!

Options
Afura
Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
I started using the ZR5K a few years ago, I couldn't get past week 2 (as intended), and I got frustrated and quit. I'm not a runner, it's too much strain with where I'm at now, but at the advice of another MFP user, I got the regular app. Boy, that's so much more entertaining, and I don't feel forced to do something and potentially fail. I just go as fast as I can, and at least now I can actually construct my base instead of just staring at it. :grin:
The reddit group is pretty hilarious too, though I've only looked now and again.
The one thing I've found so far as that if you're on GPS and lose that signal, that it will stop tracking everything but the time, even after the GPS finds you. It's a bummer, I had to go in and manually update based on what I think was the right number, I wish it would pick back up at least the pace.

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    It just got warm enough for us to start back to our ZR again. Going thru my playlist now to make sure there's no scary music for our nightly ZR. Will probably start season 2 back over so I can remember the storylines.
  • Afura
    Options
    Oh come on, you don't want the scary music to add to the ambiance? I need to update my list, I had a 'public' playlist for when I was walking without a headset, it's getting boring.
    I just got done with S1E3, it's unfair to make me dislike someone I can't pop in the face.
  • ritualsilence83
    ritualsilence83 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have zombie 5k. I don't like paying for apps I may not like. I've never ran past .25mi at a time and with the very first mission I ran/walked 2mi!! I'm starting w1s1 this week, after reading your post it sounds like the normal zombie run is more fun.
    I don't want to run more then 1.5 mi at a time, I'm not training for anything. Does the full app make you run for longer? What's that like?

I have no safe place to run so the times I have used the app it's at the high school track in dark, that was fun. I plan to only run at dusk or later if I can.
  • Afura
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The 5k app really is a training app, the full app is just a running app. Plus you get to collect items and build your Abel base. Most of the missions are timed like 5k, but if you download the Radio Abel you get goofy little conversations interspersed with your playlist (it's a 'real' radio station broadcasting in the apocalypse) plays after your mission is done. If you don't, you can just keep running and I think your playlist will play. I actually just walk right now, and I want to say the last mission was about 25/30minutes, @alliwan might know better.
    I definitely enjoy it more that the Z5k because no one tells me what to do, but I have both on my phone and when I get in better shape and able to run I may start using it again.

The ZR Season 3 that I got out of google play has the 3 seasons, Season 1 has 23 story missions, Season 2 has 24 plus some additional ones you can get (7.99), and Season 3 has 3 plus additional ones at purchase ($7.99). So for, I think it was $4 you get 50 storylines. Then there are the supply runs, 7 of those that are unlimited time runs that let you get supplies, then there are the Races - six races of 5k, 10k nad 20k (plus additional ones you can purchase for 1.99). You can also pay $15.99 for the all access pass that gets you all of season 2/3/races downloads. I've spent $22 on dumber things. :grin:
  • Alliwan
    Options
    I have zombie 5k. I don't like paying for apps I may not like. I've never ran past .25mi at a time and with the very first mission I ran/walked 2mi!! I'm starting w1s1 this week, after reading your post it sounds like the normal zombie run is more fun.
    I don't want to run more then 1.5 mi at a time, I'm not training for anything. Does the full app make you run for longer? What's that like?

I have no safe place to run so the times I have used the app it's at the high school track in dark, that was fun. I plan to only run at dusk or later if I can.

You can just walk with the ZR regular app. You can turn off the zombie chases so you dont have to run at all, just walk. Can even do it on a treadmill if you cant go outside. If you turn on the zombie chases, then you do have to run 20% faster than your walking speed until you get away from the zombies or they take a few items from you that you have collected on your travels.

The regular ZR app is VERY fun and entertaining and interesting. The 5k is majorly boring in comparison. There is 3 seasons of the ZR regular app, the radio mode which kicks on after your mission is over, supply runs and supply drop runs. Lots of stuff to be had for the price you pay, hours of exercise and entertainment. You can switch between 1/2 hour and 1 hour long missions. The 1/2 hour plays one song from your music list in between each mission segment storyline and the 1 hour missions play two songs in between.

Id really recommend the ZR app. The storyline with the voices and the sound effects make you forget you are pushing yourself walking or running.
  • ritualsilence83
    Options
    So for the zombie 5k app I did the starter mission 2x and loved it. Today I did the first training and was disappointed there was no story or anything really with it.
    I think I'll complete this app just to get my money's worth then get the full version. You guys really helped sway my choice. I never buy apps so the idea of buying the more expensive one first seemed silly, now I'm wishing I had gotten that instead.
  • Alliwan
    Options
    So for the zombie 5k app I did the starter mission 2x and loved it. Today I did the first training and was disappointed there was no story or anything really with it.
    I think I'll complete this app just to get my money's worth then get the full version. You guys really helped sway my choice. I never buy apps so the idea of buying the more expensive one first seemed silly, now I'm wishing I had gotten that instead.

Ive had a smart phone for over 6 years now, and I can honestly say this is the ONLY app I've ever purchased. And I purchased all the addons and seasons and even The Walk by the same people.

It satisfies my need for exercise and my geeky gaming need all at the same time!
  • ritualsilence83
    Options
    I just couldn't get motivated to do my zombie 5k app so got the full app. Almost skipped the first mission but glad I didnt, I collected items!!!

Thank you guys for the help. I love my purchase.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    This thread is super useful. I didn't really know the difference between the two apps. I've had Zombies 5k for ages and am just really getting into it. I think once I've conquered it I'll move over to the new app because that sounds like so much fun.
  • cricketpup
    cricketpup Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have been using the pro ap and loving it! I am learning how to construct my township as well.