Keto / LCHF grocery shopping

Options
Teneko
Teneko Posts: 314 Member
Hey folks,

I went grocery shopping the other day and noticed a few things on sale / special that I had to pick up. At the checkout when I laid everything out, I was suddenly struck by how "typical keto dieter" my groceries looked! Hah!

20150417_123726.jpg

From left to right, we have:
eggs
cheese (several types)
lunch meat (in house roasted herbed turkey breast from the deli counter)
bacon-wrapped cream cheese jalapeno poppers
bacon (regular, and "dessert" bacon in apple-cinnamon...*rofl*)
bulk pork chops
bulk seasoned chicken leg quarters

About the only thing missing is butter, cream, and frozen broccoli...because I already had a bunch. :)

Cost me $60 US, and most of it's sitting in the freezer for later.

-T.

Replies

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My last trip to costco consisted of bacon, a flat of eggs, a half gallon of HWC, 2 pounds of butter, steaks, and coconut oil.

Which store had the bacon wrapped cream cheese poppers? I hate dealing with the peppers myself. :D
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    My last trip to costco consisted of bacon, a flat of eggs, a half gallon of HWC, 2 pounds of butter, steaks, and coconut oil.

Which store had the bacon wrapped cream cheese poppers? I hate dealing with the peppers myself. :D

Does your costco still carry HWC? Ours used to, in the Horizon brand and now they dont carry it at all! So annoying as it is so very very expensive elsewhere.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    Options
    All of mine do, I frequent 3-4 different ones. It's producer's brand, 4.50 for a half gallon, container is red white and blue, should be right next to the half and half which is producers, in the yellow and blue and white carton.
  • Teneko
    Options
    The bacon wrapped poppers are from HEB which is a local Texas grocery store chain.
    Heavy Whipping Cream is hard to find with just CREAM for the ingredients! In Texas, I have to go to Trader Joe's or the local co-op. In Kansas City, I was lucky enough to find a cheap pure brand from an Iowa dairy in the normal "Sun Fresh" grocery store.

-T.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I hit up Sam's club today and my haul included:

8lbs 80/20 ground beef
    12 bone in, skin on chicken thighs
    5.5 lbs of pork chops with a nice thick fatty edge
    Quart heavy whipping cream
    2 lbs sharp cheddar
    3 lbs bacon
    36 eggs
    big tub kerrygold butter.

I skipped the ribeye (too cheap for 9 something per pound) and pork ribs, waffled over a beef brisket (was just too big for the nonce) and then spent a half hour when I got home portioning out all the meat, lol.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    All of mine do, I frequent 3-4 different ones. It's producer's brand, 4.50 for a half gallon, container is red white and blue, should be right next to the half and half which is producers, in the yellow and blue and white carton.

Hmm ours carries none at the moment, not since they quit carrying the Horizon brand.

Teneko wrote: »
    The bacon wrapped poppers are from HEB which is a local Texas grocery store chain.
    Heavy Whipping Cream is hard to find with just CREAM for the ingredients! In Texas, I have to go to Trader Joe's or the local co-op. In Kansas City, I was lucky enough to find a cheap pure brand from an Iowa dairy in the normal "Sun Fresh" grocery store.

-T.

I end up going to Whole Foods and getting cream there, but it is like $7 for a half gallon and we go thru 3-4 of those a month. Gets expensive. Wish Costco would bring back the cream!
  • Ivana_KillerBody
    Options
    fish, you forgot fish lol!
  • sweetteadrinker2
    Options
    Do your costcos have those little suggestion boxes? Usually they're near the exit on the wall. If you ask them to bring heavy cream back, and maybe mention it to a manager, or 4, on your next visits it's pretty likely to come back. We've gotten things brought back just by asking nicely, like skinny pop for my dad.
  • Teneko
    Options
    Fish is too expensive out here! I get salmon as a special treat, but daaaaayum, the $$$$. :(
    Used to be my main protein source outside of tofu and eggs. -_-
    Sometimes I get canned tuna, but try to keep that down due to the mercury concentrations.

-T.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I skipped the ribeye (too cheap for 9 something per pound) and pork ribs, waffled over a beef brisket (was just too big for the nonce) and then spent a half hour when I got home portioning out all the meat, lol.

Oh my goodness I wish I could find ribeye at that price! It was 37.99/lb at my butcher shop on Thursday.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options

Oh my goodness I wish I could find ribeye at that price! It was 37.99/lb at my butcher shop on Thursday.

37.99$!?!?!?!?!

What the actual *kitten*. Where do you live? Standard ribeye prices at the pricey grocery store here is about 12.99$/lb and I wait for it to go on sale for 8.99$ then buy a bunch (it's better meat than the Sam's Club ribeyes and they will cut it to the thickness I want).

Fish, we almost never eat anymore, due to price.

• Teneko
    Options
    Wow...
    Even the Whole Foods prime dry aged grass fed ribeye isn't that expensive here!!!
    I think we paid about $20/lb for that around Valentine's Day.

-T.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I think we are lucky here in Texas that groceries are relatively cheap. My mom, who lives in Massachusetts, remarked while shopping at Kroger here that the same exact shopping trip would have cost twice as much at home... and she's not prone to exaggeration. Plus I'm a bargain shopper. Most things I buy on sale or generic/store brand versions. There are a handful of things we buy name brand every time, like ranch dressing and toilet paper, LOL, but otherwise I'm always looking for the cheapest version.

Since starting low carb I love that I can skip almost all the center aisles in the grocery store. It makes my shopping trips so much simpler!
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    you guys don't even want to know what grocery prices are like down here.

That's the big thing I miss about the states. Affordable food.

It IS cheaper to eat McDonalds than it is to cook at home.