cauliflower

Options
Looking for tips and recipes on how to use cauliflower as a carb substitute. Any tips help.

Replies

• erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    This week I made potato salad using cauliflower instead of potato. I put in mayo, celery, onion. My husband loved it. I make mashed cauliflower all the time in place of mashed potatoes as well.
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    We love riced cauliflower, both raw and cooked. Cut up a cauliflower into pieces and put in a food processor and process until it's about the size and consistency of rice. Then you can cook it or use it raw. We use it raw under some nice sauce with veggies. Very filling.

We also do mashed cauliflower as erica listed above. That's very good. And I have done cauliflower pizza doe, but that's more work and less interesting than the other options. But there are lots of recipes for all these options online.

I have even used the cauliflower rice as a rice substitute in homemade sushi and that was good!

vfdwjab9d7v9.jpg
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @OliveDrinkin

Just found this great recipe yesterday for cauliflower and lemon cream sauce: detoxinista.com/2015/04/creamy-lemon-asparagus-pasta/
    Cant wait to try it!

There's also an app called Yummly that can separate recipes by ingredients and has tons of clean eating recipes.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I like my cauliflower simple and delish. Set the oven to 370 break the cauliflower up into pieces and toss into a bowl. Pour a teaspoon for olive oil over it and a good amount of garlic salt. Toss to coat evenly and roast on a pan for like 15-20 minutes. When edges start to brown take it out and enjoy the deliciousness. I am actually making this today.
  • baileyh_
    baileyh_ Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I do buffalo cauliflower bites! SO GOOD. I put the cauliflower florets in a ziploc, toss in some garlic salt, pepper and paprika, JUST enough olive oil to lightly coat the florets. Toss it all around and smoosh it so it all gets covered.

Then I throw it all in one layer on a baking sheet, toss it in the oven at 425 degrees and bake till it's just barely fork tender. I take it out, throw it in a bowl, toss with Frank's Red Hot Wing Sauce (the kind that you DON'T have to mix with butter, because it's already mixed for you) just to barely coat, and throw it back in the oven for 2-3 minutes.

BOOM! Delicious cauliflower bites. I started doing that as a healthier alternative to wings... Now I crave that MORE than wings. <3
  • Lorenabutts
    Lorenabutts Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I made a cauliflower crust pizza!
    s17ev7av54yz.jpg
  • amyrllin1
    amyrllin1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    loren, was the cauliflower crust hard to make? Can you post the recipe please?
  • Once_Wonderwoman
    Once_Wonderwoman Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    the buffalo florets sounds amazing will try this one for sure. I am stuck on baking mine with a little coconut oil and garlic powder BOOM! Delish!
  • calidroz
    calidroz Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Steam it, mash it, and use it exactly how you would rice. Good luck!
  • LilyOfTheValley008
    LilyOfTheValley008 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I loveee substituting cauliflower in place of mashed potatoes! Here's a link if interested > http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1657598867/best-make-ahead-side-garlic-cauliflower-mashed

But to be honest, nothing can beat roasted cauliflower with some EVOO, garlic and herbs!
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I really like cauliflower as a substitute for rice, but last night I made cauliflower mash and it had the worst aftertaste!

I don't know if I steamed it too long or what, but it was awful.
  • abeachell
    abeachell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello. New here. :)
    I also made Cauliflower Crust Pizza. It was amazing.
    Link to recipe: https://www.facebook.com/myrecipes/videos/10152774658647135
    The trick is to steam the cauliflower long enough to get rid of the moisture. I recommended baking it 5-10 mins longer than the recipe calls for too. Enjoy!
  • AlciaMode
    Options
    abeachell wrote: »
    Hello. New here. :)
    I also made Cauliflower Crust Pizza. It was amazing.
    Link to recipe: https://www.facebook.com/myrecipes/videos/10152774658647135
    The trick is to steam the cauliflower long enough to get rid of the moisture. I recommended baking it 5-10 mins longer than the recipe calls for too. Enjoy!

This cauliflower pizza crust thing is getting made right the hell now!
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    steamed mashed cauliflower with salt and pepper. Mmmmmm
  • bmchabot
    bmchabot Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower crust pizza. c7tisr00wr6a.jpg
  • AlciaMode
    Options
    bmchabot wrote: »
    Cauliflower crust pizza. c7tisr00wr6a.jpg

It was delicious! Thanks a ton!
  • Ms_Rena
    Ms_Rena Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    WOW that looks amazing... I'm going to try it this week... thanks for the recipe :smile:
  • defnevonal
    defnevonal Posts: 13 Member
    Options
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    This creamy alfredo sauce is really good. No, it didn't taste like alfredo sauce, but it tasted yummy. Perhaps if you added parmesan, it'd be more alfredo-ey. https://wherethewildrosegrows.wordpress.com/2015/03/24/lets-get-saucy/#comments
  • VioletLemon
    VioletLemon Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    roasted cauliflower is awesome with a bit of Malt Vinegar and if you have a dehydrator you can make cauliflower "popcorn"