Increase calories... Lose weight!

Options
rkufeke
rkufeke Posts: 73 Member
Today I am 7 weeks into this way of eating :) I had posted last week about being frustrated because I lost 12 lbs right away in the first 2 weeks, and then it took me 4 weeks to lose 1 lb. Well, based on suggestions I raised my calories from 1200 to 1400/day and I have lost 2 lbs this week! :)
I'm posting this mainly because I was doubting raising my calories, basically I only did it because I wasn't losing anyway... And I know I've seen at least 1-2 people this week questioning things that raising calories could be the answer. So hopefully this will help someone :)
I am now down 15 lbs in 7 weeks, with 40 lbs to go.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Well done! How many grams of carbs are you eating?
  • rkufeke
    Options
    I eat 20 or less (net), I'm doing keto so I tend to eat 70-80% fat, 15-20% protein, 5-10% carbs. Even when I wasn't losing my macros looked good, I apparently just wasn't eating enough.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Since fat has more calories than protein and carbs, a 1200 cal day made mostly of fat seems like not enough cals. I went to a website that recommended m cal should be 1700 with 70-20-10. Of course, I am 67" and 240 lbs, and I do not know your stats. I think it was this site http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • rkufeke
    Options
    I'm only 5'4" and now 170 lbs (172 when I re-calculated everything). According to the calculator when I figured it all out, 1400/day is about a 600 calorie deficit for me. Pretty much I was doing 1200 because I really didn't know any better, when I was younger/before I had kids I always did 1200/day to lose weight, so I guess I just went back to that. The big problem was that I currently weigh about 40 lbs more than my "heavy" weight then...
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't know if it is just a coincidence, but I've dropped 1.4kg from Wednesday to Sunday this week after eating more than usual. Yesterday I over ate by a couple thousand kilojoules at least and was 500 grams lighter this morning. In calorie terms I had about 1700.

I don't think 1200 kcal is very fun. I've had enough.
  • RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Have to agree sometimes though it's difficult to eat enough when you're full up on fat, considering upping mine too
  • jerryellis63012
    jerryellis63012 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have just upped my calories to see if that will help me lose, I have not lost in a few weeks, and I think that I am more physically active than I had put into the calculator due to my job, I walk ALLOT during my job and am lifting about 150 pretty heavy bus hoods a night checking fluids. I have been tracking my body fat and muscle with my scale instead of just my weight, and have noticed a definite trend...I am losing fat, albeit very slowly, but also gaining muscle at the same time, so even though I am not losing weight on the scale, I AM losing some inches...will stick with higher calorie count for awhile to see what happens
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You have to feed your body, not starve it. That said, you can overfeed it, even on low carb, so you have to find that happy balance that keeps you satisfied yet losing. Got to find your "sweet spot", pun intended!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    rkufeke wrote: »
    I eat 20 or less (net), I'm doing keto so I tend to eat 70-80% fat, 15-20% protein, 5-10% carbs. Even when I wasn't losing my macros looked good, I apparently just wasn't eating enough.

Thanks. Glad you've found a ratio that's working for you!