Turkey Rice Bowl

Options
AmZam05
AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
Hey everyone! Here is a recipe I came up with one night while desperately searching for dinner. It combines seasoned ground turkey with rice, beans, scrambled egg and veggies - think a healthified and Americanized version of fried rice.

Relatively simple ingredients and preparation turns out to be big flavor. It's undergone a few modifications and now I have a recipe that I'm very happy with. It's got a great macro balance and is filling and healthy! I've also included my preferred method of preparing brown rice (I had a lot of rice failures before I found this method).

turkey%20rice%20bowl_zpsvkhnle6q.jpg

Turkey Rice Bowl - serves 4

Ingredients
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 chicken bullion cube (or 1.5 cups chicken broth/stock)
- 1lb ground turkey
- 4 eggs
- 8oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 20 black olives, sliced
- 170g (2 servings) fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- coarse kosher salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
- oregano & parsley to taste (I typically use dried)
- Cajun seasoning
- Spike gourmet natural seasoning (Available in fancier grocery stores. If you've never heard of it, check it out here)

Directions
1. Prepare brown rice: Add rice to pot with 1.5 cups cold water and 1 chicken bullion cube (or 1.5 cups broth/stock). Heat uncovered on medium heat until it reaches a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer about 20 minutes or until all liquid is evaporated. Do not remove the lid. After liquid is evaporated, turn off heat and let sit covered for a minimum of 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, brown turkey in a medium pan. While still raw, season with Cajun and Spike seasonings to taste (I like to be a little generous with these seasonings).
3. Scramble 4 eggs, set aside.
4. In a large pan, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil on medium heat. Add mushrooms and season with salt, pepper, oregano, and parsley. Cook for approx. 5 minutes then add spinach. Stir occasionally until spinach is all wilted and begins to darken.
5. Add beans, chickpeas, scrambled egg, and sliced olives to the pan the with mushrooms. Stir well, sautee for 5-10 minutes.
6. In a large bowl, combine cooked rice, turkey, and vegetables. Divide into 4 bowls and enjoy! It's also quite good with a little hot sauce on top, if you're into that.

If anyone tries this recipe let me know how you like it. It's become a fairly frequent dinner for my fiancee and I, and since it serves 4 we each have a container leftover for lunch.

Enjoy!! :)

Calories: 569 / Fat:21 / Carbs:51 / Protein:44

Replies

• batyah81
    batyah81 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow looks yummy I will try this maybe tomorrow night
  • Jbvilla
    Jbvilla Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Just saved this one. I will try this one soon. I always use ground turkey.
  • Jbvilla
    Jbvilla Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Made this yesterday. Didn't look that great but was very tasty. Since I live alone I have left overs for a couple of days.
  • Divadropdown
    Divadropdown Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Looks good,may try this for dinner tomorrow.
  • cossmoss15
    cossmoss15 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    My plans for dinner tonight!
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Wow never thought to use ground turkey in fried rice, will be trying soon. My boyfriend may even like it too. Thank you!
  • cossmoss15
    cossmoss15 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I did try it and it was very good - I did not add enough seasonings though - will bump up for next time. I love having the leftovers! Great to take for lunch.
    thank you for the recipe