Swimming

Options
Bruceapple
Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
I am just crazy about swimming. I swim 2 miles, 5 days a week, watch my portion size, and seam to lose 1-2 ponds a month.
I do drink beer and wine and account for it in my calories, some times I am out (above my allotment) but it seems to work for me.
I do eat back my exercise calories. When I started, I could not swim 1 mile in a week.

Replies

• BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've got a plan that really working for you. Curious as to where you swim and how much it costs? I'm looking to add more exercise and I have done distance swimming years ago.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I would love to swim like you.., I'm s weak swimmer & slightly nervous of water... Don't know why.
    Have u always enjoyed swimming ?
  • Bruceapple
    Options
    I am not much of a swimmer sort of self taught and really did no much of it before. I wanted to start up an exercise routine and had Plantar heel, so swimming seamed to be my outlet.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    my son suffers with Plantar Heel, I will suggest swimming to him.
    I am thinking I moght give swimming a go... you never know I may improve. ;)
  • Bruceapple
    Options
    BB, you are our Leader in Walk the World, keep up the good work.
    Best advice about swimming is to relax and do not fight the water.
    Enjoy your swim, get goggles and start slow, you will improve.
    Best of Luck.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Thanks Bruce.... I really appreciate your support :)
  • bm1409
    bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I have always been a week swimmer. My extent of being in the water is laying out on a raft absorbing hours of sun when I was a teen.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    bm1409 wrote: »
    I have always been a week swimmer. My extent of being in the water is laying out on a raft absorbing hours of sun when I was a teen.

That's what I'm like... Should we give swimming a go... Bruceapple has inspired me :)
  • Bruceapple
    Options
    4-1-15 TYD SWIM GOAL = 119/365 = 32.6%
  • HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Last summer, I attempted to swim one mile a day. After several weeks I encountered a problem due to wearing swim goggles and/or mask, where the area around my eyes would get very dry. Without the goggles or a mask, I hit the walls. :) I am not sure if it was a reaction to the latex or something else.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what some of the new members do for exercise. I have been adding some new activities to improve how much I move in a day - basketball, hitting a speed bag, hiking, weights. I'd love to add swimming, but don't have an affordable option.
  • SuzyH
    SuzyH Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    BRaye, our community has the expensive option of the YMCA, but one of the high schools on the area also opens up their pool for community lap swim and water aeorobic classes for around $2 per time through the use of a punch card. Love it! Also, many Park & Rec Departments have fun activities/classes.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    After years of doing it at home through mostly DVDs and a treadmill, I joined Gold's Gym. Once I retired in June 2013, I started going to Aquazumb and Aquafit classes. But my eating was off, wasn't losing anything so stopped logging...still went to the gym, though, and gained weight over 6 month pity party period of time. Which validates that weight loss begins in the kitchen! :)

Mid-December 2014 10 pounds heavier and lab result numbers on the rise, I came to my senses. Started logging again, started with a personal trainer, and I still do the pool classes. On the off days, I still may do a DVD, but lately, I find that I really need that recovery/rest time for best results. I'm getting in about 200-240 minutes of formal exercise a week...not counting walking the dog. B)
  • Bruceapple
    Options
    YTD SWIM GOAL = 139 / 365 MILES
  • sebenza512
    sebenza512 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Love that you swim 2 miles a week, Bruce! Back in high school I was on the swim team and often try to work out how to get swimming back into my exercise rotation. You've inspired me to research this again!
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew how to swim. I don't have a fear of water, per se, but I get very panicky trying to even float without holding on to something. One day, I need to get past this. I think swimming is such good exercise.
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    I wish I knew how to swim. I don't have a fear of water, per se, but I get very panicky trying to even float without holding on to something. One day, I need to get past this. I think swimming is such good exercise.

Yup, me too - though I have been scared of water since been thrown in at the deep end of the pool at the age of 5 and having to be fished out by the pool attendant........think I am entitled to feel fear! But I do wish I had conquered it.....I seem to panic as soon as the water reaches my lower ribs and then, all bets are off,,,,,,,Jason Statham could be in the pool and I still would not stay.......!!!!
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Similar thing happened to me. I was on a swimming. Lesson at age 8 & I floated into the deep end, panicked & eventually was rescued by the life guard. Been slightly afraid ever since.. I'm 51 now! I need to conquer this!!