peanut butter

Options
illmatic7
illmatic7 Posts: 24 Member
What's the deal with peanut butter on keto??

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    IIFYM

for me it's too high in carbs and too low in satiety to have around (plus there's the legume/lectin issue)
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Pretty much. I've had natural peanut butter on the keto diet (usually mixed in with cocoa powder and heavy cream), but I found I had a hard time fitting it into my plan.
    If you really want to do peanut butter, look for the natural kinds that you have to stir up because there's all that oil on top. There should be 1 ingredient: Peanuts.
    Maybe salt.
    That's it.

I have started to really dig almond butter, and (when I can afford it), I pick up natural almond butter or macadamia nut butter. Both are amazing with cream cheese or mascarpone cheese.

-T.
  • illmatic7
    illmatic7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I got smuckers natural chunky just peanuts and some salt
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I think those that are concerned with a "well-formulated keto diet" exclude peanuts more because peanuts are meant to have an inflammatory effect on the body and inflammation is thought to be key in heart disease etc - it's not really that you can't eat it on keto as it is high in fat and not too awful in carbs (unless you get one with sugar in)... it's up to you.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I too don't care for legumes, especially when there are so many alternatives.