Newbie just dropping in to say hello

Options
So i'm not much of a poster on forums but I wanted to pop in here and say Hi, I'm a solo mum to 3 very busy kids and I work in a fairly demanding job so I think this will work for me where other things I have tried haven't.

I've just started the 5:2 fasting and am doing day 1 of fasting today.

I've done a lot of reading over the past weeks and I am currently about 15kg over my ideal weight.

Day 1 of fast so far has been ok. I ate about 7.30 pm last night and woke up had a green tea in place of my usual coffee and about 9am felt a little seedy but have managed to push through it.
It's 11am now and I am sitting down with a cup of peppermint tea and I am feeling ok.

I have tried a lot of varying diets but this one has caught my attention as something far more easy to sustain, I am one of those people who gets frustrated on low cal diets and tends to blow them with a chocolate binge where as I cant see myself doing that with this because I can still eat some treats on my non fast days. Otherwise I do eat fairly well but I think for me the biggest thing is portion control which I have started to alter by simply changing plate and bowl sizes so I cant fill the plate as much!

anyway enough from me back to my cup of tea :)

Please say hello and give me any tips you think might help :smile:

cheers

:smiley:

Replies

• JoAnnRyan123
    JoAnnRyan123 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm new too
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome :) Please read the announcement post with info and links. If you wonder about anything, ask :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Hello to you both! You'll find us pretty friendly on here B)
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    this one has caught my attention as something far more easy to sustain, I am one of those people who gets frustrated on low cal diets and tends to blow them with a chocolate binge where as I cant see myself doing that with this because I can still eat some treats on my non fast days. Otherwise I do eat fairly well but I think for me the biggest thing is portion control

That is exactly why this has worked for me. I go mental on daily restriction ;) 23mth in, maintaining a normal weight after life long obesity. 5:2 is not right for everyone, but it sure works for me, even if not every fast is perfect.

Welcome to the group!
  • NadiaMirabilia
    NadiaMirabilia Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm pretty new, too. This is a great group. :)
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Hiiiiiiii!!!!! Welcome to the awesomeness that is the 5:2 way of life!!!!
  • Roxie8611
    Roxie8611 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi there!! I'm on round 2 of this 'way of life'....its amazing, love the benefits and also.....keep the mantra 'it's only 2 days a week' and you'll be fine
  • hnyzthms
    hnyzthms Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm zoe and 3 yrs I have a goal loss of 1 stone to begin. Though my aim is to get in to size 10 (uk) clothes again.

I've never tried 5:2 so any tips for fast days eg what people eat etc, drunks etc. I'd be very grateful.
  • hnyzthms
    hnyzthms Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    34 yrs old not 3
  • maphammonds
    maphammonds Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I agree with what others have shared - 5:2 certainly isn't for everyone, but the best 'diet' is the one that works for you. And 5:2 works for me :)
    Blessings to the newbies, you guys got this!
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Welcome all newbies!!! You have found a great group of people here and all very positive and supportive! I've been a 5:2er since last Sept. and have found this group amazing and keeps me going... Thanks to everyone :)
  • priyac1987
    priyac1987 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! mind if I join you!! Im re-starting 52 next week!! I did it last year and lost 2 stone pretty easily! not really sure why i stopped but now ive been stuck at the same weight for the last 6 months so figured its time to give it a go again!! Im also doing insanity max and piyo along with a 5k run every saturday! Wondered if I could get a little advise around what I should eat on non fast days.
    Having worked out on the scooby calculator what my TDEE is and what I should be consuming to maintain, and its given me 2200... im not sure id want to eat all of this every non fast day.. so would it be suitable to eat 1700 on non fast days and then on the weekend.. allow myself around 2400ish instead (i tend to splurge a lot more on weekends..) i remember doing this last time i did 5:2 and it worked, but i wasnt doing as much intense exercise 6 days a week as I am now...
  • jessica_1205_
    jessica_1205_ Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm new too! I finished my first fast day yesterday on 508kcal and it was easier than I'd expected (though I'm no stranger to VLCDs so one day at a time seems like a breeze compared to weeks and weeks of meal replacement shakes!). I'm eating slightly below TDEE on my weekday NFDs so that I can eat a bit more freely at the weekend. I've been overweight my entire life, I wasted my teens and the first half of my twenties being fat and unhappy and I've tried every diet and plan available. I'm currently 8 days binge free - long may it continue!
  • linux40
    linux40 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome!:) I`m new too, been doing 5:2 for approx 4 weeks and gradually losing weight. Good luck with your journey :) So glad we have this forum - for support, questions and friendships!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    priyac1987 wrote: »
    Hi guys! mind if I join you!! Im re-starting 52 next week!! I did it last year and lost 2 stone pretty easily! not really sure why i stopped but now ive been stuck at the same weight for the last 6 months so figured its time to give it a go again!! Im also doing insanity max and piyo along with a 5k run every saturday! Wondered if I could get a little advise around what I should eat on non fast days.
    Having worked out on the scooby calculator what my TDEE is and what I should be consuming to maintain, and its given me 2200... im not sure id want to eat all of this every non fast day.. so would it be suitable to eat 1700 on non fast days and then on the weekend.. allow myself around 2400ish instead (i tend to splurge a lot more on weekends..) i remember doing this last time i did 5:2 and it worked, but i wasnt doing as much intense exercise 6 days a week as I am now...

Hi and welcome :) Many calcs overestimate exercise activity using TDEE. So often choosing the activity level of what you think...could be a more accurate number, especially if you have little daily everyday movement.

Do whatever you find suit YOUR body and goals. If the old formula worked well for you, maybe start out with that +300 kcal/days with exercise ? The body is a very resilient and adaptive unit. If you feel weak, make sure you get electrolytes AND the micronutrients needed. And possibly up the kcal a bit. Listen to body and you find answer :)
  • priyac1987
    priyac1987 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks Foamroller... I have looked at my TDEE on around 5 or more websites, and the number seems to be around the same (2100-2200).. and just for safe measure I always select the option lower than my usual activity level (moderately active; working out between 3-5 times a week for 30 minutes at a time... I actually work out 6 times a week for around 60 minutes at a time)
    I think I will give this way a shot, and re-evaluate after 6 weeks if it is not working! Thank you for your advice :smiley:
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Welcome everyone!!!! I'm in week um not sure, I started the first of February. Anyway I've lost 6kgs (13lbs) and loads of cms... But the best thing 5:2 has taught me? The difference between hunger and wanting to eat. So although I CAN eat what i want (sort of) on non fast days, I'm finding that I'm wanting to eat healthier and not snack on crappy foods all day long.
    My relationship with food has evolved. So just remember that although the 5:2 is awesome for losing weight, it's also awesome for so much more!!!

I hope you guys enjoy your journey too!!!!
  • kaytee232013
    kaytee232013 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Hope it's all going well so far as by now you'll be about 2 weeks in. I've always been a calories counter, but I've been doing 5:2 for 10 weeks and It's the first time I've lost 1lb a week regularly, not broken my diet by having crazy binge days and as Karen says, it really seems to change how you 'feel' hunger. I have way less cravings than I use to and also much more energy. I love this way of eating :smile:
  • nakaiki
    nakaiki Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm not really new, I've been lurking around this group since January. I started 4:3 at the beginning of the year and lost 20 lb. in the first 8 weeks. I then hit a four week stall (no loss or gain), followed by a week-long vacation during which I gained. Since returning from my trip two weeks ago, I've lost the weight I gained plus a few additional pounds. I like that with this lifestyle I can eat a burger during the weekend without feeling like I've undone all of the progress I've made during the week.

This group is by far the most positive and supporting group that I have found during my years on Myfitnesspal.
  • clairejeynes84
    clairejeynes84 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm also fairly new to this diet and forum! I started end of Feb this year and am finding it very easy to manage, even with a busy lifestyle of full time work and 2 kids! Weight has always been an issue to me and I feel like my whole life has been one big diet hop! But I've found 5:2 to not only have the best results but also something I can see myself doing long term!
    So far I've lost 8kgs and a whopping 14cms around my hips!
    I also find myself looking forward to fasting days!! Does anyone else find that??