Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

emotional eaters

So how many of you are emotional eaters? You know you have a bad day at work or get into an argument with your wife and the next thing you know you are not sticking to the meal plan you had intended or you are skipping out on your workout?
So my second question is how do you get yourself back on track?

Replies

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    I'm more a stress eater.. when stress levels hit high gear and there is food available (any food) I will eat it...

I found that exercise reduces stress and gives me a lot more overhead to eat above plan, so to speak.. so that's my primary way of handling the problem. I also try to keep calories "in the bank" a few days/week, so that if I do go over on other days, my weekly balance is still good... and if I find I don't need those extra calories, then it usually translates to a good weigh-in at the end of the week.

Overall though, as I get more practice at this whole thing, I'm learning that will power is like any other muscle.. the more you exercise it, the stronger it becomes.

• I tend to eat when stressed or pissed off. In both cases I also skip any form of exercise. Dunno why. Pretty sure if I was a happy guy I would also be a trim guy, but instead I am the grim guy who is far from a slim guy. Maybe, just maybe, if the world stopped pissing me off I would be better off :) But that is probably more of a me issue.

I get back on track by trying to forget it all and starting fresh. On Monday this week I started off on Day 1. Again. And will continue to do so until I no longer need to reset.
  • I used to be an emotional eater and with direction I looked at why that was. Eating was a distraction from what was bothering me. I could get lost in the action of preparing food, savoring flavours, sometimes zoning out and going on automatic while chomping. It took a lot of conscious effort, but I substituted computer gaming and science documentaries for eating. I find both of those engage my mind fully and I don't have time to fume over what's bugging me. Every once in a while I still catch myself going to the kitchen if I'm emotional or stressed, and I stop and ask myself if it's really worth it, and then get on the computer instead. I don't eat at all during that time because if I start, I won't stop. Now that I'm pretty much trained to do things other than eat in a crisis, it's not a struggle. You can get there, it just takes time. I respond well to written instructions and left myself notes as reminders of what to do (and not to do), and why...keeping goals in mind and not going on automatic.