Sleepy? ??

Options
Almoshposh
Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
I have battled insomnia all my adult life. I'm usually in bed by 10 but can't stay asleep past 2am. However since I started keto six weeks ago I'm sleeping through out the night. Even if I wake up to go to the bathroom (which is often coz of all the water I'm drinking) I don't have any problems falling right back to sleep. I even have to take a nap in the afternoon sometimes. Now as much as I am enjoying all this zzzz time, I'm still curious as to the science behind it. Does anyone have a scientific explanation for this?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Good question! I had sleep issues, and now I sleep normally. Not sure if it's LC, exercise, or the blue light software filters I put on all my devices/computers.

A lot of people complain about poor sleep due to too-low-carb and cortisol issues.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I don't have any scientific evidence, but just wanted to congratulate you on this excellent side effect for you. I'm finding that LCHF is good for just about anything that ails you!
  • SRJennings
    SRJennings Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I hope some of the knowledgeable posters will respond to your question. I am having a similar experience with the sleepiness. I also suffered from insomnia for 10 years but that was cured when I went gluten-free two years ago. Now, I am trying to get back into ketostis (after a rice binge this weekend) and I am falling down sleepy. Is this a side effect of getting out of ketostis? A mini keto flu?
  • wabmester
    Options
    Ketosis does have brain effects. Might be the same way it benefits epileptics. Less "excitement." A lot of insomnia is just high brain activity, right?
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I used to have a sleep problem when I ate high carb. I was falling asleep during the day about 3-4 times. Every day without fail! It hasn't happened since.

I guess there is something about low carb that can help regulate that sorr of thing?
  • FitnFierceJamie
    FitnFierceJamie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you haven't read Wheat Belly yet, I highly recommend it. Wheat and sugar can be extremely disruptive to sleep patterns. I sleep much better when I'm restricting carbs than I do "off the wagon." The part that really fascinates me, though, is how much more vivid and memorable my dreams are.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    My husband has been an insomniac for as long as I've known him. He has been sleeping well, falling asleep faster, and staying asleep through the night since a few days after he switched to LCHF. He is also waking up earlier and feeling more alert.
  • mongoosealamode
    mongoosealamode Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have had a harder time falling asleep since starting keto. I do still have sleepy moments during the day but it's mostly because I am home with kids all day and get exhausted mentally.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

Oh my gods above and below. THIS IS ME. This is what I was jokingly calling my "food narcolepsy." Going back to read and reread this WHOLE ARTICLE. *flipping out a bit* No one knew what this was or really believed me...
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Oh my gods above and below. THIS IS ME. This is what I was jokingly calling my "food narcolepsy." Going back to read and reread this WHOLE ARTICLE. *flipping out a bit* No one knew what this was or really believed me...

It looks like for me, before I changed my WOE, it was this + INSULIN RESISTANCE + possible LEPTIN RESISTANCE + unknown factors.

Does anyone know what blood work is done to diagnose leptin resistance? I'm hoping whatever it is is in that massive blood panel I just did... This could explain so much and make me feel so much less insane and utterly crazy for made up problems....

@Dragonwolf Is this something you've studied?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

It looks like for me, before I changed my WOE, it was this + INSULIN RESISTANCE + possible LEPTIN RESISTANCE + unknown factors.

Does anyone know what blood work is done to diagnose leptin resistance? I'm hoping whatever it is is in that massive blood panel I just did... This could explain so much and make me feel so much less insane and utterly crazy for made up problems....

@Dragonwolf Is this something you've studied?

I don't know any details on that one, unfortunately. You might want to peruse Chris Kresser's and Chris Masterjohn's works, though. I think one of them has talked about it before.
  • wabmester
    Options
    Pretty much by definition, if you're overweight, you're leptin resistant. As you lose weight leptin drops. In terms of inflammation, this is a Good Thing. In terms of hunger, not so much.