Snacking habit - What are some small low carb snacks I could replace my sugary junk with?

Options
Jennym93
Jennym93 Posts: 136 Member
Sometimes all I want to do is eat but when that happens I end up going over my calories (1300) and carbs (under 100 but as low as possible is my aim)
I know cheese, bacon and nuts would be a good option but what else would be a better option that I could snack on that isn't going to bump my calories up too high?
I was thinking berries might be good in small quantities but I want to avoid anything that might trigger sugar cravings.

Replies

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Salami?
  • suzanna_1
    suzanna_1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My favorite low carb and lower calorie snack is turkey pepperoni chips with Laughing Cow cheese. If you microwave 17 turkey pepperoni chips that have been spread out on a piece of paper towel and covered with a paper towel for one minute. Once you let them cool, they get crispy. I dip them in a Laughing Cow for a 105 calorie treat.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @suzanna_1 sounds like a good snack!
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds (with or without sour cream)
    Golden flax seeds with cinnamon
    Fatty chai with extra fat. >_>

-T.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jello
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Sugar free jello
    Ooh yeah. I make my own so I can choose my sweetener.
    And then I add HEAVY CREAM on top of it! Mmm...

-T.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lVNNCEec8c skip to 3:06... High Volume Ice Cream
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    cream cheese balls rolled in sugar free jello (tastes like cheesecake, yummy)
    twiggy sticks (like salami sticks)
    little 40g tub of Philadelphia cream cheese and some ham
    cubes of cheddar cheese
    pork crackling
    cook a roast beef/pork/chicken thighs. Slice up and put in a container in the fridge. I'll often grab a slice of meat on the way through the kitchen.
    grab a 12 muffin pan, put some grated cheese in the bottom of each "hole", cook in the oven until bubbling (don't burn), let cool - cheese chips. Dip them in avocado or whatever.
    boiled egg with S&W Mayo on top
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky. I just bought some but haven't tasted it yet. My son loves it.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Olives?
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Fat4Fuel2 wrote: »

Nice! You make these videos? Subscribed. Thanks for the idea. I'm all about volume. Looking forward to experimenting!

• Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Pickles
    Hunters sausage
    Bacon wrapped jalapeño peppers stuffed with cream cheese
    Pork rinds
    Sharp cheddar cheese with a pickle wrapped in deli sliced corned beef.....
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Fat4Fuel2 wrote: »

Great video! Have you put the recipes on MFP? Or do I have to get them from YouTube?

• Annette_906
    Annette_906 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm new to low carbs and snacking was tough at first for sure! Some of these ideas are great!
  • Ivana_KillerBody
    Options
    My faves are pepperettes and string cheese stix!
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Shaved deli ham/pastrami, a wedge of brie or camembert, a mouthful of cream cheese (with vegemite or marmite if you are in a country that has those), a kransky, salami, boiled egg, etc etc.

I don't usually snack as I only like big volume meals.
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    suzanna_1 wrote: »
    My favorite low carb and lower calorie snack is turkey pepperoni chips with Laughing Cow cheese. If you microwave 17 turkey pepperoni chips that have been spread out on a piece of paper towel and covered with a paper towel for one minute. Once you let them cool, they get crispy. I dip them in a Laughing Cow for a 105 calorie treat.

Thank you! Oh my gosh, that sounds good. I miss dipping things! LOL
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have string cheese, chunk cheese, babybel cheese snacks, and deli ham with cream cheese or mayo rolled into a tube. I really love cured meats though ( the German in me I suppose... :) ) so meat sticks, summer sausage, salami, and pepperoni are all favorites for zero(ish) carb. Most will be under one carb for a quick snack.

Berries are not going to be a great snack unless you have lots of room in your carbs for the day. I have to plan out my intake carefully on days I want to eat fruit on my <20 carb plan. I usually eat them with heavy cream or cream cheese too, which will help slow down their breakdown as well, and hopefully limit the speed in which they hit my bloodstream. You might not need to worry about that if you aren't diabetic.

Snacks are actually rare for me as well, like Minties, because I eat two fairly large meals a day. So much protein and fat in two meals holds me over for a long, long time. One of the battles I'm fighting is the mindless snacking while my kids were little, so I only grab something if I get hungry while the second meal is being prepared, or I'm on the road. Even though the snacks were low carb, they sure add up in a hurry.

• Jakiepaper
    Jakiepaper Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Chia pudding. Add some Chia seeds and unsweetened coco powder to some almond milk let sit for a while. The Chia seeds expand and you have pudding.