Options
2»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    BRaye325 wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the info guys!

sijomial - I also have a problem with degenerated discs and I was wondering if you could offer me some advice on how to improve my weight training program. I have just recently recuperated from my back problem and I'm looking to restart my training. In my exercise room I have a universal machine, some free weights and dumbbells, heavy & speed bag and a treadmill.

@BRaye325 I've got 3 badly compressed lumbar discs from multiple disc herniations over about 20 years. Two discs are virtually empty of the soft nucleus.
    Managing the acute period following a disc herniation or tear of the fibrous outer ring was transformed by finding a brilliant Osteopath.

Regaining back health from my low point of living on anti-inflammatory drugs, wearing a back support for anything risky or strenuous and having disc episodes from everyday activities like washing the car or getting out of bed (!) has been due to working hard on improving my core and ab strength to help support my back.

Started off with crunches on a gym ball (a.k.a. Swiss ball) and building up slowly. First in the number of reps then extending the ROM to full sit ups. Building up to very high reps. Then adding sit ups with a twist. I worked to very high reps as strength endurance is very important to a cyclist with a dodgy back.

Over time I added floor sit ups (bent knees), push ups, weighted sit ups, single dumbbell side bends, captain's chair leg raises, hanging leg raises, cable machine twists, weighted ab crunches (again cable machine), good mornings, a variety of rows. It's been a steady progression over years of progressively pushing the envelope and backing off when I get an adverse reaction. I prioritise compound lifts over isolation work to keep the core involved. Every workout includes some specific core exercise.

There's things I still have to be wary of to avoid nerve impingement and they all involve vertical compression. So I very rarely do squats (I can only manage a fairly embarrassing weighted squat before I get a warning reaction). I never do deadlifts. Shoulder press is incredibly reliant on the angles and the degree I can isolate my lower back. So a primitive shoulder press machine at my work gym or a military press with barbell is limited to about half body weight but a more sophisticated plate loaded machine at my local gym where the angles and isolation work for me causes no issues well over body weight.

Losing 34lbs obviously reduces the day to day compression too.

Best of luck.

• BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, that's a ton of great information. It doesn't sound like mine is quite as severe as yours, but certain things like trouble with squats and deadlifts I've already experienced. I will start with core and ab training like you suggest. I know this will take a long time but slow and steady is the thing, especially when it comes to back pain.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If someone is a beginner and looking of a non-intimidating workout – you might want to check out the video below. I actually downloaded it to my computer and use it at least every other day.

I love the treadmill and recumbent bike but I've never been crazy about weights (that is changing).

It turned out to be the perfect start for me. It eliminated all excuses, being only 15 minutes…I started with 12 lb weights but most beginner start with less.

I have a feeling my cardiologist, podiatrist & rheumatologist will be happy with my most recent progress.

Just relaying something I found useful.

15 Minute Beginner Weight Training

https://youtu.be/U0bhE67HuDY
  • HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the sharing the video, it's just what I was looking for. :)
  • Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    :)
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Since mid-December, I have been working with a personal trainer for strength training, and I love it! I train twice a week for 30 minutes and do Aquafit for 60 minutes right after. The other days I do cardio and yoga.

My endurance, stamina, and flexibility have greatly improved. Not only am I getting weight off an arthritic knee, I am strengthening the muscle around it. It is challenging because each session is different and my trainer pushes me to exhaustion!

To her credit, I must say that she believes that weight loss begins in the kitchen. While my actual weight loss is slow, it is all fat.

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread. I do general resistance training 1-2 times a week but am thinking maybe I need to add free weights.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,998 Member
    Options
    To her credit, I must say that she believes that weight loss begins in the kitchen. While my actual weight loss is slow, it is all fat.
    I'm working with a personal trainer since February. So far, I haven't lost any weight but, according to his measurements, I've reduced my body fat percentage by 2.5%.

The dietician made it clear to me that exercise enhances our quality of life and while it does burn calories, significant weight loss is all about the quantity and quality of food you eat.
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I lift weights 3 times a week. I think it has helped me with burning more calories than just cardio alone, and my arms look so much better than they ever did before. My legs have a lot more definition too. Also, just to clarify, my weight lifting is in a class where you do a lot of reps, faster pace, so it is also a cardio workout. I try to increase my weights every so often, too, to keep improving. My increase in strength makes me really happy!!