shout out to all of you

Options
canadianlbs
canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
i keep meaning to say and then forgetting again . . .

i was at that workshop this weekend, where this one woman (who i truly, really can't stand, but never mind that) said in her intro that she had just recently hired a trainer again. actually, she'd just re-hired the workshop organizer . . . anyway, what struck me is she said she'd mainly hired [organizer] for the 'accountability'. and then lots and lots of bossy advice-flavoured fangirly words about how important that is, and i realised she's basically paying this woman to phone her once a week or every couple of days and say 'so, how's it going? did you do your workout?' like a dental hygienist who phones to at home to find out if you flossed. and then a bunch of finger-wagging followup about how crucial 'accountability' is to actually following through on workouts.

the main thing is, she's not wrong exactly. but i was leaning on the wall trying to keep my sneer tactfully hidden, and thinking 'i wouldnever', when i realized why not. i mean, it's the absolute truth that i-would-never pay some virtual stranger to nag me and boss me around, which is basically what she was talking about. but i don't have to. i've got this place instead, and it's totally different. i've got this whole community of people i LIKE talking to about my workouts, and who talk back about theirs.

so i just wanted to say. you guys are gold.

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    If there was a like button I'd hit it a few times ;)

This is why i stick around. All the inspiration from the community of fit and funny gals here keeps me pushing, even though I fall off the wagon from time to time. Helps me get back at it just a little faster :)
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Happy to be here for ya
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    *clapclap * I agree wholeheartedly. I love coming in here and enjoying the comradery and like mindedness of a relatively rare subset of people.
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    You ladies are all awesome! Well said.
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I haven't been around lately...but I couldn't agree more!
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    You are SOOOOO right @canadianlbs!!!!!!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    The support from this group is so much more encouraging and habit forming than nagging. I don't respond well to nagging and yelling anyway. Happy to be there for you and happy to have you here for me!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    The support from this group is so much more encouraging and habit forming than nagging. I don't respond well to nagging and yelling anyway.

exactly this. that stuff from this woman really brought the contrast to life in my mind, because impersonal hired 'accountability' couldn't possibly be habit-forming in its own right . . . surely? it's like paying someone to syringe your ears. i actually thought of piping up and saying 'i have all these friends . . . ' like 'here's another thing/form of that same kind of thing that i've found to work even better than that, and here's why.' luckily i saw my mouth before my foot went into it for a change, and just kept my lip zipped. but the contrast sure stuck around in my mind.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I always figured it was just some people's preference but you bring up a good point. I don't know how negative reinforcement like that is habit forming unless those nagging words start to become ingrained in their thoughts. I still wouldn't want negative reinforcement running through my mind all the time though. I'd rather enjoy working out and the support I get with doing it.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    could be that they're both just natural-born bossyboots types. in which case it probably works fine for them both, but i'm not a fan.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    You ladies are awesome! I'm finding myself more encouraged than I have been in years! As much as I was looking forward to getting my boots for doing my lift, I was even more jazzed about reporting that I'd succeeded.

We had a useless (except for the fact that it gets me money off my copays) health exam at work yesterday. My HDL is low. Their advice? Do cardio. :#

I said I lift. People have this dumb notion that you don't get a heart rate increase from lifting. It annoys me. I realized as I'm writing this it's likely because we're women so we must be using pink dumbbells. Grrr!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Anything that gets your heart rate up should be beneficial for your HDL. That and getting your Omega-3s. I think it's just a common misconception that exercise = cardio and weight loss means running. I hear from men and women alike that say, "Ugh I need to lose weight. Guess I need to run."
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    i've got this place instead, and it's totally different. i've got this whole community of people i LIKE talking to about my workouts, and who talk back about theirs.

so i just wanted to say. you guys are gold.

<3<3<3<3<3
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    :)<3
  • justmytype
    justmytype Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    What I love about this group is that we don't look so much to each other for motivation but inspiration. All you lifting ladies inspire me on a daily basis. And because I don't have any women friends that I know in "real life" who lift (yeah, I get the confused look on faces too when I say I lift), it's nice to be able to talk about our workouts here. You guys totally rock and I appreciate you every day.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    symba1130 wrote: »
    I haven't been around lately...but I couldn't agree more!

on that note, how are you?

• TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    This is like a roll call of the oldies but goodies (not in age, but in this group)! I'm getting overwhelmed by all the new folks -- love their enthusiasm and am definitely inspired, but anytime I see your names pop up, I'm so excited. :D xoxoxox
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I love this group. You guys are my favorite.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    (((((hug))))) <--- that's how I feel about this board and it's helpfulness. Nags make me want to break things...so that wouldn't work out well.
  • Annie81503
    Annie81503 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't post much, but I read and read and you are all very inspiring!