Polar loop, polar FT7, or a different fitness device?

Options
LoLoGB
LoLoGB Posts: 97 Member
Hi all! I want a fitness band that I can wear that will track calories from all activities (including lifting) and heart rate. Additional features are a bonus- like sleep tracking, etc. I have read reviews on the two Polars above and seem good. Anyone try them? Do you use something else you like a lot?

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors are highly inaccurate when it comes to lifting. They are best used for steady state cardio calories.

I don't really have a recommendation on something that is accurate though because I don't have a bunch of fitness gadgets. I have a GPS watch I use for running, a HRM I use for cardio heart rate zone training, and a FitBit that I use for general activity tracking.
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I actually use my phone, I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and has a built in heart rate and steps. Annoyingly it doesn't link to MFP, and I don't bother to punch in steps calories.

I play with the HR a bit when my lifts were becoming challenging, but it seems consistent now on about 4 minutes my HR is down enough to do my next set.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar heart rate monitor and I really, really love it. I wear it for all cardio and I do wear it for lifting. Although I don't follow the calories given for lifting, it is still really useful for me to judge my exertion level and the quality of my workout.
    I've had mine for a few years so I'm not sure what model it is. I think an F4? Anyway, it's great.

However now I would go for a Garmin Vivofit (which I also have) plus the heart rate monitor band, to get both steps AND HRM! Hopefully soon I can get the HRM band in which case I will retire my Polar.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have an UP 24 which I bought a few months before the MS Band came out. I kind of wish I had waited, though you do get a little more out of it if you have a Windows Phone. It works with IOS and Android as well. I'm waiting for the UP 3 to come out because it is Waterproof. You do have to enter weights manually. But that is normal from what I've seen. I did track weightlifting with my Polar for a bit and it was aligned with what MFP said I burned, so I just went with that.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    HRMs can offer a decent estimate for steady state cardio based on your heart rate and estimated VO2 Max which is based on your stats. They are inaccurate for other activities, however, where the amount of work you're performing cannot necessarily be estimated. Elevated HR =/= calorie burn or else I'd waste away from my anxiety.

I do a modified TDEE method for calorie intake. I eat slightly below my TDEE which includes exercising 3x week (lifting) and other moderate activity such as cleaning, doing yard work, walking around, etc. Since I don't have a regular schedule for running, biking, hiking, kayaking, etc. I add the estimated calories burned when I do these because they require fuel above and beyond my TDEE. I'll sometimes use an HRM but mostly I just estimate them using a GPS tracker like Run Keeper to come up with a conservative estimate.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    irridia wrote: »
    I have an UP 24 which I bought a few months before the MS Band came out. I kind of wish I had waited, though you do get a little more out of it if you have a Windows Phone. It works with IOS and Android as well. I'm waiting for the UP 3 to come out because it is Waterproof. You do have to enter weights manually. But that is normal from what I've seen. I did track weightlifting with my Polar for a bit and it was aligned with what MFP said I burned, so I just went with that.

Bad news, the UP3 is no longer waterproof. Jawbone said the waterproofing is what delayed it so long, now it's just splash and shower proof but no swimming.
  • LoLoGB
    LoLoGB Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I went with the Polar FT7 which had great reviews specifically for weight lifting. I have used it the past two days and LOVE it. Highly recommend it for any cardio, HIIT, or weight lifting!
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    irridia wrote: »

Bad news, the UP3 is no longer waterproof. Jawbone said the waterproofing is what delayed it so long, now it's just splash and shower proof but no swimming.

m(_ _)m