how much fat per day do you strive for?

Options
annalisbeth74
annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
I just recently switched to Atkins and am wondering, how many grams of fat/percentage of total calories do you guys normally strive for per day? I'm still figuring out what kind of stuff I like to eat on this plan, and some days I get more fat than others. Now I seem to be transitioning more to lots of fish and steamed veggies, and I don't want to cheat myself by not getting enough fat. At what point should I add in some fat bombs?

Thanks!
Anna

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Fat is just to fill out your calories. If you're not tracking calories, then fat fills out your satiety. The minimum target should be around 30g. Most eat much more than that, but there's no need for a hard target or to do fat bombs if you're full.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    To provide an actual number for settings, I have MFP set as so:

1800 calories
    100g protein
    20g carbs
    150g fat

Your numbers will vary based on your caloric needs and goals for carbs and fat, but this should help with the fact that "fill out calories/satiety" will look like a scary high number at first if you track it.

It's okay. If you're using MFP's numbers to guide you and you stay within your numbers, it's not possible to go over calories. The grams that MFP comes up with are percentages of your calorie goal.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 1600 calories with 120g fat.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    The only reason to add fat bombs is if you're seriously deficient on calories for the day (under 1200, or 1000 if you're already short and little). Protein is a goal you should meet, carbs are the goal you should not exceed, and fat just fills in the gaps to make sure you're not hungry and don't have a dangerous deficit.
  • erikgoya
    erikgoya Posts: 77 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ^What they all said, its about filling out your cals and satiety not hitting a certain number.

I've had to dial back on my protein cause I was getting way too much for keto, and only an average amount of fat.
    I'm too lazy to make "true" fat bombs, so I've turned to using bulletproof coffee. Or at least a modified version of it.
    Coffee+unsalted butter+coconut oil+cream+sweetener+blender = delicious

I use a miniature milk frother rather than a blender, but it works and sticks about 30-50grams of fat into your intake depending on how much butter/coconut oil you add in.
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Okay, today I totally see what you mean about filling out your calories. It's past lunchtime and I'm only at 415 and I'm just not hungry! Making some fat bombs this afternoon. Thank you!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Still trying to hit 80% Fats.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    119 grams of fat, which is 65% for me. I find the more fat I eat it the quicker I lose weight but I'd rather have some fruit & veggies and lose slower.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I have my macro percentages set at 5 C 30 P 65 F ... That seems to be working for me.... I am never hungry and my energy level is fine. When I stall .... Which I am due for soon. I will drop protein to 20 and raise fat to 75.