How do you meet people (both as new friends and possible dates)?

Options
photo_kyla
photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
So far I've tried online dating (25% successful) and meeting people organically (I can never tell if they are interested or just polite). I'm actually really shy until I know someone, so it's hard to break the ice. And I'm also agnostic, so church is out.
Ideas or suggestions?

Replies

• BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Stalk your friends' friends on facebook. lol I know this sounds horrible, but I have had guys strike up a conversation with me via messager regarding a comment I've posted on a friend's post. I have also had a few guys befriend me that I don't know but are friends with one or more of my friends and then we chat.
    My fiancee' and I actually met this way. Technically I knew him. Well knew who he was anyway, but he was checking out his sister's facebook friends and befriended me. He chatted me up a bit and then asked me out.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Stalk your friends' friends on facebook. lol I know this sounds horrible, but I have had guys strike up a conversation with me via messager regarding a comment I've posted on a friend's post. I have also had a few guys befriend me that I don't know but are friends with one or more of my friends and then we chat.
    My fiancee' and I actually met this way. Technically I knew him. Well knew who he was anyway, but he was checking out his sister's facebook friends and befriended me. He chatted me up a bit and then asked me out.

OK but then what if you're not cute enough to make your friends' friends friend you?
  • Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

OK but then what if you're not cute enough to make your friends' friends friend you?

Phffft... like you need to worry about that! lol

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Follow_me wrote: »

Super sweet of you!! But really, nobody has ever started chatting with me on FB....except foreign girls. Not that there's anything wrong with that but...
  • Dead_Mans_Party
    Dead_Mans_Party Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I have met some very nice people here of MFP. Both in my area and outside. If anything, just super people to talk with.
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options

Super sweet of you!! But really, nobody has ever started chatting with me on FB....except foreign girls. Not that there's anything wrong with that but...

Same here! That's why I started online dating, guys actually start chatting with me. In real life, in 7+ years of dating I've never even had a guy ask for my number. If they're interested, they sure hide it well.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Being new to my city I decided to give Meetup a go again and have had a ton of luck making new friends that way. If you're in a place where Meetup is active I'd recommend giving that a try.
  • shiraLA
    shiraLA Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    photo_kyla wrote: »

Same here! That's why I started online dating, guys actually start chatting with me. In real life, in 7+ years of dating I've never even had a guy ask for my number. If they're interested, they sure hide it well.

^^Agree. I have never been hit on in real life. How do you know if they are interested?
  • Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    C'mon Shira... I just looked at your profile. I honestly believe your just not picking up on these guys hints.
  • OperationSuperKAT
    OperationSuperKAT Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Idk about the Facebook thing. I've had so many random requests from guys I don't know when we have maybe one mutual friend, and it kind of creeps me out. A couple of them have messaged me, and it is always something like, "I know we don't know each other, but you are exceptionally beautiful and I would like to get to know you." Isn't that freaking weird?!

Have you ever tried meetup.com? I know some people on here have met some cool people that way, and there is no pressure to make sure that you find the love of your life because it's just people meeting over mutual interests. If you are interested in theater or art or music, check out local events in your area and don't be afraid to go by yourself. Strike up a conversation, smile at the cutie walking by, or just meet a new friend. Asking a question or two is the best way to get a conversation going.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Regarding facebook...there's Coffee Meets Bagel. It's a free dating service that looks at your facebook profile and your match requests (limited though they are) and pairs you up with friends of friends who share those same characteristics, or if there aren't many of your friends who use the service, than people in the area.

You get a new 'bagel' sent to you each day to see if they're a match and if not? No worries. You'll get a new one the next day.
  • Param_is_here
    Param_is_here Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Joannah700 wrote: »
    Regarding facebook...there's Coffee Meets Bagel. It's a free dating service that looks at your facebook profile and your match requests (limited though they are) and pairs you up with friends of friends who share those same characteristics, or if there aren't many of your friends who use the service, than people in the area.

You get a new 'bagel' sent to you each day to see if they're a match and if not? No worries. You'll get a new one the next day.

Can use tinder instead!
  • williab3
    williab3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think any good relationship starts out with some kind of friendship. Here we all have something in common.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Exercising buddies? I've been meeting up with a girl for the past few weeks going on walks/runs together. This was all done via a mutual friend whom I've known for over 2 years hang out with and workout together at the gym.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    lacroyx wrote: »
    Exercising buddies? I've been meeting up with a girl for the past few weeks going on walks/runs together. This was all done via a mutual friend whom I've known for over 2 years hang out with and workout together at the gym.

And... sparks??? ;)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    pa_jorg wrote: »
    lacroyx wrote: »

And... sparks??? ;)

If by sparks you mean huffing and puffing with tons of sweat, then yes!