Anyone still lose on higher carbs?

Options
aholt7286
aholt7286 Posts: 11 Member
Hey all.....I've been following your posts for about six weeks now (the amount of time I've been on a low carb woe)....and I have a question............

The first four weeks I stayed below 30g net carbs and I felt like crap the entire time!!! I tried upping sodium, upping fats, water intake, you name it!! It would get to the point that I would gag just thinking about eating something. I had horrible headaches, nausea, and was so exhausted and lethargic I couldn't even exercise..........BUT I lost 20 lbs. So for the last two weeks, I've increased my carbs to stay below 50g net (most days I'm generally in the 30's).....and have still lost three pounds in each of the last two weeks and feel 10,000X better......

My question is: is this sustainable? Am I causing my glycogen stores to rebuild? Does that matter?? Am I missing something?? Any advice you can give would be great...thanks!!!

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It all depends on you, but yes, there are a million variations one can do on LCHF... This sounds great for you. As long as you don't encounter headaches going to low or bumping back up, you should be golden. I'm actually kind of jealous that you have the flexibility to go that high. My body's metabolism hasn't repaired enough yet for me to do that. :)

But that first bit too could be your adjustment period. Everyone's is different. Some people suffer weeks on end, some days - there are too many factors to why...
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Well done!

I'm the same way. I feel like crap if I'm making too many ketones on too-few carbs. I always take the ketone taste and the light-headedness as a sign to increase my carb intake.

Your brain needs something like 120g of glucose normally, so you shouldn't rebuild glycogen stores till you exceed that level. You can maintain ketosis at your level easily, and I feel it's more sustainable (and less stressful to the body) than a lower level of carb intake.

As long as you avoid carbs that trigger cravings, you're golden!
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I haven't been back on low carb for very long (I'm doing Atkins), so I can't speak to long-term, but I can say in the past when I tried low carb I ate almost all protein, and the few carbs I ate were from the added sugar in things like ranch dressing, and I was so weak and lethargic I could barely function. This time around I'm focusing more on veggies and avocados for my carbs, and I'm feeling much better. It's only been 2 weeks, but last time around by 2 weeks in I could barely lift my arms to wash my hair.

Without knowing exactly what you've been eating, I would say try to get more of your carbs from veggies, add in plenty of healthy fat.

Also, I have lost weight in the past eating higher carbs (well, higher than Atkins but lower than SAD), and lost weight as long as I kept my sugar grams lower. I think, at least for me, it all comes down to keeping away from sugar. I can stay satisfied on fewer calories and don't feel the intense hunger between meals.

Whatever works for you, I say. As long as you're losing weight, and feel good while you're doing it, I'd stick with it.
  • Brentm77
    Brentm77 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have done well recently in the 50-75 net carbs range. I too feel better at this range and the weight loss seems better at this level than lower levels. I try to make the carbs of higher worth when eating this way by avoiding highly processed foods. For example, I have found the steel-cut oats are very satiating for only moderate carbs. Because they are less processed, they have a fairly low GI rating. I have also enjoyed oil popped popcorn, which is very satisfying. Those, or some fruit and vegetables are my primary source of carbs these days.
  • aholt7286
    Options
    Thanks for your replies!! I have been adding the carbs from veggies, nuts and dairy (and I'm a bit of a sucker for black olives).....still staying away from sugar and grains.

I actually started this six weeks ago because after two pregnancies my weight and my hormones were all askew!! I am needing to lose about 100 lbs (74 lbs now)......8 months ago I started on a running routine and 4 days a week run about three miles.....I kept my net calories to 1700, but in 8 months I didn't lose a single pound and very little inches. I went to the doctor and while I'm in the best shape I've ever been, my hormones are still completely whack and so my doctor recommended trying this to see if we can't try and fix my metabolism.....
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    aholt7286 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies!! I have been adding the carbs from veggies, nuts and dairy (and I'm a bit of a sucker for black olives).....still staying away from sugar and grains.

I actually started this six weeks ago because after two pregnancies my weight and my hormones were all askew!! I am needing to lose about 100 lbs (74 lbs now)......8 months ago I started on a running routine and 4 days a week run about three miles.....I kept my net calories to 1700, but in 8 months I didn't lose a single pound and very little inches. I went to the doctor and while I'm in the best shape I've ever been, my hormones are still completely whack and so my doctor recommended trying this to see if we can't try and fix my metabolism.....

There's no set number between keto and LC, and where each person will do best varies by person. As long as you have a calorie deficit, you'll lose. The rest is up to finding the balance that works best for you as an individual. There are plenty of people who stay between 50-100 or 100-150, just as there are those who stay below 50.

BTW - avocado mushed up with kalamata olives, tomato and onion optional. It's like a guacamole tapanade hybrid I could have all day. You get some extra fat and protein in, and you don't need as many olives, since they're stronger flavored.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    aholt7286 wrote: »

If you kept that 1700 calorie restriction, that might have contributed to it. You don't want to restrict calories in the initial period, especially if you're staying active. Calorie restriction + keto induction = misery. Add attempting to work out at your usual pace and you're just asking for trouble.

You've found what works for you right now, but if you ever decide to drop your carbs again, make sure to keep this in mind. It should be as drastic as before if you've been true to your 50g goal, but you are still increasing your reliance on ketones and the "equipment" to make and use them.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    There's no set number between keto and LC.

Shhh. Don't tell anybody, but even those LC'ers who think they're not "keto" are probably keto. :)

You make ketones if you are glucose-deficient. You are glucose-deficient if your carb intake is below your metabolic requirements, which vary, of course. But even the most sedentary will make ketones if they consume below, say, 100g/d carbs -- the brain sucks up that many.
  • aholt7286
    Options
    That is good to know because I did keep my same calorie restriction...........however, I will also say that more than I few times I was forcing myself to eat calories and my body didn't really want to do it. I also had cut out my workouts during that time, and thank goodness because I'm fairly certain I couldn't have done it. Very interesting.

And I do love avocados and green olives too.....but you know, black olives are sweeter :smiley: !!

Thanks!!!