Excessive hair gets me down, suggestions? Does weight loss improve it?

Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    laols01 wrote: »
    This has also been a problem for me, my chin and neck especially. It's not awful enough that some good tweezers and time can't fix but my doctor also prescribed Spironolactone to help hinder any new hair growth. I've been on it for about two months now and am finally noticing some difference. Unfortunately it doesn't help what's already grown, so I still need to tweeze. At some point laser hair removal will be in my future too. May be something to ask about? Good luck!

My doc put me on Metformin AND Spiro at the same time, and I experienced super heavy duty dehydration. Due to personal reasons, I stopped the Metformin (will discuss with my doc when I see him next month), but I stopped the Spiro after two months due to dehydration. I'm wondering if I should give it a try again since I stopped the Metformin...or just wait to see him again. I still have a full month bottle and a few pills from the previous month.... SIGH

NOTE: Doc put me on Spiro for acne management more than hair issues. But I didn't notice any changes, but my body was in major flux change mode, and I don't know that I gave it a chance to catch up.

Spiro is a water pill, so it's very likely the primary cause of your dehydration issues. I'd say wait and talk to your doctor.

Definitely!! Thanks @Dragonwolf for the reminder. I already struggle with my water most days being Keto! I don't need ANY help there... LOL
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I purchased a Groupon deal today myself :smiley: was a few places offering deals, I picked the more expensive place as they had better reviews, plus they do electrolysis which since I'm fair some hair may need that added treatment.
  • lori_malo
    lori_malo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Weight loss didn't help my hair growth. I also use groupon to do laser hair removal.
  • Jennym93
    Jennym93 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I got a home IPL system! :D Fingers crossed it works
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Please come back and let us know how the IPL worked for you. I'd be willing to buy one if I even got 6-8 week reduction, because I know its not permanent.
  • Jennym93
    Options
    6-8 weeks would be amazing for hairlessness, I'll let you know how it goes, it claims that you'll see results in 4-5 sessions at one session every two weeks but we'll see
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I finally went to see an Endocrinologist about this issue at the start of March. He asked for a batch of tests (blood, urine, ultra-sound) which took time. Now I'm just waiting to see what he suggests. I'll let you ladies know what he comes up with. :)
  • shesang
    shesang Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I also use Spironolactone, have for twenty years, and I found myself a good electrolysis technician and have never regretted spending the $$ on that. It's been a long haul for me but these two things helped save my self esteem. I was on the birth control pill for many years and when I had to stop it I was panicked about the hair growth but it wasn't an issue at all. Good luck with the IPL system!
  • Jennym93
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi :)
    Just back to say that I can see a reduction in hair on some areas if not all that I've used it on, arms especially, I can't say for certain if all areas have as I shave them more often than my arms but I can see the patches of hairlessness on my arms and stomach already and I've been doing it every 2 weeks since I last posted (march 26th) it doesn't take too long to do, you do have to make sure you've got all of the hair though or you end up with patches, which is a little hard with the size of the laser thing, it's only small
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Wow. It's scary how similiar our age/body types are. 0_0

I don't have any advice regarding medications, since I haven't been able to take any (long story). However, I have noticed a correlation between my weight and my symptoms. My weight peaked at 175-180, and I started getting hairier at 160. I dropped down to and have been maintaining 138lb for about two years now, although I'm still trying to lose a final 15.

I went from only having four periods a year to being regular for the first time in my life, and my skin has cleared up a lot. Despite the weight loss, however, I'm still not proportionate, with most of my weight going to my stomach. When I was gaining weight, I was consistently getting hairier. While I'm not getting any hairier, the hair pattern that has grown up isn't going away.

I'm hoping losing the final fifteen will put an end to the stomach and the extra hair once and for all. Unfortunately, there's no way of knowing that. If you find a solution, please let me know!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Freidon wrote: »
    Wow. It's scary how similiar our age/body types are. 0_0

I don't have any advice regarding medications, since I haven't been able to take any (long story). However, I have noticed a correlation between my weight and my symptoms. My weight peaked at 175-180, and I started getting hairier at 160. I dropped down to and have been maintaining 138lb for about two years now, although I'm still trying to lose a final 15.

I went from only having four periods a year to being regular for the first time in my life, and my skin has cleared up a lot. Despite the weight loss, however, I'm still not proportionate, with most of my weight going to my stomach. When I was gaining weight, I was consistently getting hairier. While I'm not getting any hairier, the hair pattern that has grown up isn't going away.

I'm hoping losing the final fifteen will put an end to the stomach and the extra hair once and for all. Unfortunately, there's no way of knowing that. If you find a solution, please let me know!

Genetically, women are geared to hold more weight in their stomachs and abdomen, so that they are equipped to survive famine and continue the species, so a certain amount of that is inevitable without destroying your entire body. That being said, a lot of women maintain a bigger stomach area due to inflammation from wheat or something else they are sensitive to. It might not hurt to look into an anti-inflammatory eating plan just to see if you fall into that range... For me, I can tell you that eliminating most wheat and grains made a crazy difference in swelling I didn't even realize was swelling and not fat... Always something to consider.
  • Pridgenization
    Pridgenization Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Jennym93, I have no useful suggestions, but I wanted to tell you to hang in there. Now that I am almost 50, I can look back and see how many changes that my body/hormones/unpleasant symptoms of PCOS have been through since I was a teenager. Do your best to consistently eat healthy and be active. Do what you need to do about the hair, but try not to let it define you or make you feel bad about yourself.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've had PCOS since 12, and my weight has gone from 130 to 108 to 130 to 117 since then and I didn't really see any changes in hair growth. It probably depends mostly on the person though, having dark hair definitely doesn't help. Hopefully weight loss helps for you.
  • minkky
    minkky Posts: 73 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I just wanted to share with you that I'm an esthetician. A very hairy one. And that my fellow co workers and I have found some great laser hair removal deals on groupon. It's a good idea to look the place up, but it so much less expensive than just going. If the laser has been working, groupon may be something to consider.
    And I know it's sucks having a ton of excess hair, I just want you to know you are not alone. As someone who does waxing for a living, I see how truly common it is. It seems to be a very taboo subject for a lot of women tho.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs (and unfortunately regained a lot of it in the past year) but didn't notice any difference in hair growth when I was at my thinnest. I might have to look into spironolactone.
  • Eri0515
    Eri0515 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I did use spironolactone for approx 2 years and I seemed to develop a resistance to it although it did work at first.
  • laols01
    laols01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My gyno put me on spironolactone for hair about 8 months ago. I have noticed a dramatic improvement since being on it and also just purchased my first groupon for hair removal. My chin still drives me nuts and plucking/tweezing is only so helpful. If you find anything else helpful I'd absolutely like to hear about it as well! :)
  • Becky03026847
    Becky03026847 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Freidon, how did you lose your weight? I had been walking 2 miles a day in 30 minutes for over a year and didn't lose any weight. My doctor put me on a prescription diet pill to speed up my metabolism. I lost 42 pounds but didn't like the side effects. IT seems for me that if I don't take that diet pill then I can't lose the weight even with exercising an hour a day. I have learned that I think I'm carb intolerent so I try to stay away from most of it or at least pasta...1 cup will put 3 pounds on me. I'm needing to lose weight again since the pounds have creeped up on me and I'm 47. Any suggestions?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    There are several recent posts about many women with PCOS needing to go low carb. Read them for good info. Many of us are insulin resistant or as you say - carb intolerant. Dropping carbs while upping your fats breaks through this wall for most of us.
  • andisue50
    andisue50 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Anybody have their favorite at home treatments (creams, etc) for the face?