fit bit over 5 days

rachylouise87
rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
average TDEE is 2399 ... i am currently eating 1689 and weight has maintained so far (i know its only 5 days in.
i went on a few flat walks did zumba which i logged with HRM and it appears to be picking up when i am doing something more strenuous. i am worried its overestimating my daily activity since when i have been sat at my desk using the computer its been adding steps?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    That's a good catch to find, so it would be inflated by some amount.
    Now, those steps may be so few during so much time, that when you look at the 5 min graph of calorie burn for those steps, you see it's only given say 10 calories instead of normal 5, and only for a few times, in which case, that's not inflated much.
    But if getting tons of steps and calories burned extra from typing, that's inflated badly.

May need to read the Fitbit instructions for changing sensitivity if worn on wrist.

And confirm they aren't steps when you got up and moved briefly. Those count. But if you look at device count, use computer for 10 min not getting up, and see an increase to steps of a lot, then you may need to move the device and/or change settings.
  • rachylouise87
    thanks heybales i had a look at the settings i have it for non dominant wrist to make it less sensitive and i think i need to have a look at stride length because i dont feel its set up correctly i think this is impacting things
  • rachylouise87
    stride length was set at 0? oh dear. i have now measured both stride and running stride length. wowzers...
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    stride length was set at 0? oh dear. i have now measured both stride and running stride length. wowzers...
    These measurement make a huge difference. I couldn't believe it when I set my correctly.
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    I too had to set my stride length. Couldn't believe the difference.
  • rachylouise87
    oh dear i have had a lot of problems with my flex since discovering the stride issue. it was counting steps at my desk whilst sat and now i tested it by waving my arms and it added on 50 steps waving my arms 6 times. im going for a reset and settings update. not happy for 5 days i have been lead to believe i have been more active :/
  • heybales
    So, you need to only wave your hands in the air like you DO care. ;-)
  • heybales
    I really think they should include in the app a simple calc that lets you hit start and stop, input the known mileage from something, syncs with device for it's step count, and then tells you what you should change the stride length to.

Because while the device does attempt to dynamically adjust actual usage stride length, it can only adjust so much accurately.

After I got mine setup better with some long walks/runs, I've had several jog/walk interval runs of 8-9 miles, and it got the distance correct within 0.05 miles, and calorie burn within 20-40 of a better estimate.
    Now, as soon as I manually logged the workout, the step count based on distance and stride length figure went down - which just proved that the dynamic changes during the workout were really good.

I do need to do another test though at non-exercise walk speed, see if my daily serious pace is estimated just as nicely. Then again, I do so few steps outside exercise, probably wouldn't matter anyway.
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    hahahah :D

• rachylouise87

haha love it. since i changed the settings to dominant hand (decreased sensitivity) wearing it on my left hand which is non dominant. i have gotten more accurate readings and it is no longer picking up on typing on my works computer which is good.
    i have also changed to change eating goal and syncing per day. as i have put on a 1lb just eating at a set goal and probably fitbit overestimating calorie burn.
    today i have cleaned the house done washing sorted kids clothes out and this afternoon ill go for walk down the canal and do some zumba and if i do any extra ill eat those calories back :)

i love the fact i can see just looking at my phone how i am doing and running up and down the stairs at work helps (im on the 5th floor)

• FRJM
    FRJM Posts: 91 Member

LMAO....this made me literally laugh out loud!!