Ad Lib April {April 22nd}

Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    gsp90x wrote: »
    I've been going berserk. Ever since my binge at Easter, I've been hungry. Craving carbs. Ketostix are saying moderate to small depending on the day/time/water consumption. Breath is saying the same depending. Scale hasn't changed one way or another.

I'm not tracking anything but I know my carbs are often under 20. I'm suspecting I'm pretty (very) high on fats (calories) some days. The days I feel really hungry I eat a little more protein and more fat until the hunger goes away. Often what makes it go away is a big bowl of salad or veggies of some kind. I'll save all my carbs and have a big bowl of spinach or broccoli. So I don't know if I'll be in for the challenge next month after realizing this. I'm still kind of learning my bodies signals I think.

I'm clinging desperately to the notion that my body has been screwed up for so long with restrictive diets (two times in my life I went 4 months without eating because I was so desperate to stop gainging weight) that maybe it's just going to take a little longer for it to stabilize itself. I want desperately to lose weight and be able to do all the athletic things I used to do. I can't bear the thought of it not happening.... so this is what I'm telling myself. It will happen eventually. I have to trust and ignore all I've been taught previously.

In the mean time, I'm still sticking with it because I DO feel better emotionally. And that is a big deal. And, I haven't gained anything so...

On a somewhat unrelated note, I was offcially diagnosed with Asthma today! So I'm not just out of shape, I really can't breathe!! Halleluja! So I started puffers n stuff today so that hopefully I'll be able to start walking soon. That, I'm hoping, will also help.

End frustrated rant:.

Wow! Congrats on the diagnosis bringing some respite...because at least knowing, you can fight back, eh? And I'm still recovering, too, since the Med Faire I worked. I'm still on plan... I'm just waiting for my body to catch up.
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    4/1 --142.4#
    4/8 -- 143.8#
    4/15 -- 145.5#
    4/23 -- 141.6#
    Loss -- .8#

So, I got a little freaked by the gain and started watching more of what I was eating. I am/have been tracking what I eat just because I don't want to stop -- and honestly it is such a part of my daily routine, I don't see myself ever stopping. Even though I have been tracking and watching the calories, I haven't been limiting them, just observing.

I was staying under my carbs, but gained 3 or so pounds. I decided to cut the dairy back and I dropped the weight +.8 a pound in a week. I thought that was really interesting. It didn't seem to be how much I was eating but what I was eating. (Plus it was shark week -- so I really can't wait to see what next week looks like)

Really good experiment.
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    still trucking along. started zero carbs 12 days ago. feeling great. sleeping well. lots of energy.

eating about twice a day - appetite waxes and wanes. the other day i ate about 2.5 lbs of meat, today all i have had are a few chicken legs. feels good not to need to keep track of anything and let hunger guide me.

got curious about the scale, so i stopped in to the health center on campus to weigh. i wasn't sure what to expect, as i have been eating a LOT and i can also tell that my body is re-compositioning (is that a word?) as i can see and feel increased muscle tone, and i actually had to use a belt with my skinny jeans today!

so the verdict is: down 2 lbs. from april 1.

i feel amazing. i'll take it!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I didn't get to weigh in Saturday or today because we were out of town for my wife's birthday weekend. She hates it when I drag the scale with me. I left it at home to keep her happy. It shouldn't effect things too much. My average weight will probably be up because I had a couple higher days at the start of the week, and there will be fewer days total to even that out.

Edit: Actually, since the weigh-in for this period isn't until Friday, I will still have 7 total days for the average. I guess we will see how it goes by then.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Actually, since the weigh-in for this period isn't until Friday, I will still have 7 total days for the average. I guess we will see how it goes by then.

I thought it was Wednesday. I eat like mad the entire week and then starve myself for the weigh-in. :)

• FIT_Goat
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Actually, since the weigh-in for this period isn't until Friday, I will still have 7 total days for the average. I guess we will see how it goes by then.

I thought it was Wednesday. I eat like mad the entire week and then starve myself for the weigh-in. :)

LOL, it's not a competition and there's nothing on the line. No need to starve yourself for the weigh-in. :tongue:

If anything, I expect this week to be up. I have had a ton of cheese just today. Had some on my Five Guy's burger. Then I had a couple oz melted over some pork rinds. It's probably going to be one of those "up" weeks. :smiley:
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I find that I just substitute the weekly weigh-in as a short-term goal similar to the goals daily logging gave me. Goals seem to help.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Weight was up this morning, and I am having bacon cheese-burgers for dinner tonight. So, it will probably be up again tomorrow. If I was trying to sustain a loss, this would be a concern. But, I am not really worried about losing. I am aware that the cheese will stall or reverse my weight loss. That's an acceptable trade for me. It's not always for some people.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I am aware that the cheese will stall or reverse my weight loss. That's an acceptable trade for me. It's not always for some people.

I just started a thread about this. But *why* does cheese produce weight gain?

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I am aware that the cheese will stall or reverse my weight loss. That's an acceptable trade for me. It's not always for some people.

The lactose in it can trigger carb-related issues for some. I personally have not observed this issue for ME...at least not noticeably yet...
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

The lactose in it can trigger carb-related issues for some. I personally have not observed this issue for ME...at least not noticeably yet...

So it's a version of lactose intolerance?...interesting.

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

So it's a version of lactose intolerance?...interesting.

Not necessarily lactose intolerance, but rather lactose sensitivity. As some are more sensitive to other types of carbs, people with certain metabolisms don't process dairy the same as other metabolisms. For example, my fiance is Native (American), and he can have hard cheeses and butter, etc., but milk or cream and cream cheese tear up his digestions. For him, I think it is a form of intolerance.

However, I NEVER used to be able to tolerate butter when not melted, cream cheese at all, etc. However, since ditching carbs, these foods cause my no problems. I at a strawberry cheesecake fat bomb last night by eating it refrigerated like an icing or ice cream, rather than "tolerating" it frozen or what have you. My fiance said it was far too rich for him (he had to add some whipped cream/premade for it not to be "too much" for him taste wish), which I found enchanting, because I've never had a problem with rich foods. LOL
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    @Carly that's interesting. I was a milk addict (drank gallons of it) during my first pregnancy and that son is lactose intolerant. My second son is fine. So I've abused dairy, though admittedly a long time ago, and there is intolerance in the family. Good thoughts!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    I've heard that sometimes gluten sensitivity can cause symptoms with lactose in some people that disappear once the gluten is gone in their diet.

Intolerance vs. sensitivity has always seemed to me to be only be different by degree of severity. Someone who is "sensitive" to something doesn't tolerate it completely. But that's semantics.

My husband and oldest son are both lactose intolerant. My son is worse; he doesn't "tolerate" it at all. Hubs might be merely be called "lactose sensitive" by some, as he can consume some lactose, but certain foods that contain lactose are worse. It's all intolerance (or sensitivity if one prefers) to lactose, the difference is in severity of reaction dependent upon the food's composition and its lactose concentration, and the level of the individual's lactase dysfunction. Obviously different individuals have different thresholds of exposure. And their reactions differ as well. DH can eat it to a point but soon gasses us to death and has a sour stomach. (Whether or not you want to call that intolerance, well it certainly "intolerable". LOL!) DS writhes in abdominal pain until he finally achieves relief by throwing up, and this is at any ingestion without the full dose of lactase enzyme, and even with the enzyme, serial ingestion has a cumulative effect eventually regardless. I'm pretty sure DS produces little to no lactase, but DH produces "some but not enough."

So what I'm wondering is: is the tendency for dairy to stall some folks only a function of a lactase production issue in the gut? Or is it interference by gut flora, or lack of needed interference by missing gut flora. Or is it both. All very interesting.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    @baconslave answers would be a great thing wouldn't they? Thank you for adding your knowledge and experiences.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    I've heard that sometimes gluten sensitivity can cause symptoms with lactose in some people that disappear once the gluten is gone in their diet.

Intolerance vs. sensitivity has always seemed to me to be only be different by degree of severity. Someone who is "sensitive" to something doesn't tolerate it completely. But that's semantics.

My husband and oldest son are both lactose intolerant. My son is worse; he doesn't "tolerate" it at all. Hubs might be merely be called "lactose sensitive" by some, as he can consume some lactose, but certain foods that contain lactose are worse. It's all intolerance (or sensitivity if one prefers) to lactose, the difference is in severity of reaction dependent upon the food's composition and its lactose concentration, and the level of the individual's lactase dysfunction. Obviously different individuals have different thresholds of exposure. And their reactions differ as well. DH can eat it to a point but soon gasses us to death and has a sour stomach. (Whether or not you want to call that intolerance, well it certainly "intolerable". LOL!) DS writhes in abdominal pain until he finally achieves relief by throwing up, and this is at any ingestion without the full dose of lactase enzyme, and even with the enzyme, serial ingestion has a cumulative effect eventually regardless. I'm pretty sure DS produces little to no lactase, but DH produces "some but not enough."

So what I'm wondering is: is the tendency for dairy to stall some folks only a function of a lactase production issue in the gut? Or is it interference by gut flora, or lack of needed interference by missing gut flora. Or is it both. All very interesting.

Your husband's reaction is very similar to what happens to my fiance...followed my ... um ... explosive trips to the gentlemen's lounge (aka restroom)... Your son's reactions sound terrifying!!

And I think that my reactions could very well have been the gluten sensitivity, though I tested negative for celiac... But since I've eliminated almost almost all grains/foods from my eating plan (unless it is in something I get out, like a sauce, etc., and my dairy sensitivity went away...it stands to reason.

@Dragonwolf may have some more ideas on gut flora, as she's done extensive research into this subject due to her son's issues in that area (perpetual antibiotics destroyed most of his natural system, which she's rebuilding now)...

For me, there is allergy, complete with life-threatening consequences or misery (your son's would come close to this in my experience)... For me, intolerance would mean your body doesn't like processing it, flat out - so causes negative reactions (similar to our men). Sensitivity would mean that your body doesn't process it optimally, but when consumed in different methods or with other items can be processed decently enough so as to consume it on occasion - or in the specific forms/combinations you know to be safe... And then you have normal folk whose bodies process it as easily as anything else... That would be the delineations there - for me personally...
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    In the case of lactose (and this is why a lot of doctors prefer "sensitivity" to "intolerance"), intolerance is lack of enzymes (lactase, specifically) that enables the body to digest lactose (resulting in GI disruption, gas, and whatnot). A sensitivity is a systemic reaction after the offending substance has reached the intestine and starts absorbing.

With cheese, my money's more on the casein than the lactose. Cheese is a fermented product, so most of the lactose is consumed in the process. Casein, however, is a known aggravation trigger. In most cases, if someone has issues with milk, it's either the lactose or the casein that's the problem.

In the case of weight, it's hard telling, but if they had issues with wheat/grains/bread, then the casein is a prime suspect, since it's believed to be cross-reactive with gluten. Additionally, whey (the other protein in dairy) is excessively insulinogenic, so it raises insulin out of proportion to the carb and even protein content. If you're reasonably insulin sensitive, then that extra hit of insulin brings your blood sugar down, prompting you to eat in an effort to balance it back out.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I've decided, starting today, to try the rest of the month without any dairy (except butter) and see what happens.. if my usual bouncy results change at all. After drinking (half) my coffee black this morning, I almost forgot and had a cheese stick at lunch, but caught myself.

I'm secretly hoping this changes nothing, because I really like cream cheese. ;) If there is a dramatic difference, I may reintroduce different kinda of dairy in to see if there's a specific culprit. I'm looking at the heavy cream that normally goes in my 2 - 4 cups of coffee per day.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I've decided, starting today, to try the rest of the month without any dairy (except butter) and see what happens
    I'm secretly hoping this changes nothing

unfortunately, 3 days won't really give you any meaningful data

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    unfortunately, 3 days won't really give you any meaningful data

LOL of course. I'm sorry, I'm doing the three days (four really) leading up to a day where we've planned food that does contain dairy. I'm not doing it as a fast expecting health issues to clear up and weight to drop, not within these few days. These few days are for seeing if I can drink my coffee this way.