2015 SPRINGing Towards Greatness - Part 1 - Chats, tips, encouragements, and mini-challenges!

Options
gonabfit
gonabfit Posts: 711 Member
Yay ! Glad to know I'm not the only one who wants to know more about each other than just a number on the scale!

Let's share our tips, set backs, successes and more. Also, a few people have requested that we do mini-challenges. I'm all for it I'm just not sure what EVERYONE would be ok with doing as a team and don't want to make the decision unilaterally (if I don't have to LOL). For me... I was thinking of doing a 4 week water challenge where we all aim to drink 2-3 Liters of water a day. Or drink HALF your body weight in water each day... But please, use caution and don't go get water poisoning trying to do the challenge! Too much water is dangerous.

So in my mind I was thinking a water challenge, a strength training challenge and a Do something fun and active each day challenge.

Any other ideas!? If not... I'm gonna just pick one. LOL :-D

Replies

• KA___
    KA___ Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks Gonabfit for opening up a chat thread. It's good to a have somewhere else to post in this group that isn't the weekly weighing post.
    Water challenge is good for those who don't drink enough. I personally never drink less than 3 litres. I prefer weekly challenges but will happily go along with what others like.
  • JoyLaine
    JoyLaine Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of mini challenges ~ might hold my attention longer & I won't get discouraged :'( I know that if I can consistently do something for 7-10 days I'm more than likely to stick with it. Any type of fitness challenge that can be done during lunchtime would get me away from desk (and bad eating habits!) I'd be all up for. Suggestions?

• KA___
    Options
    Looking forward to a challenge- will it be set this week?
  • east2west14
    east2west14 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Suggestions here! Try walking around or walking in place each time you talk on the phone guys. It may sound easy but it's definitely a challenge!
  • KA___
    Options
    Great suggestion!
  • KA___
    Options
    Gonabfit, is everything okay ? You seem to have disappeared on us
  • KA___
    Options
    Hope it was okay to start the weigh in post this week?
    Sorry if I've done the wrong thing!
  • FitterBody
    FitterBody Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    No problem KA. Sorry, no idea where Gona has disappeared to. Thanks for setting up the thread.
  • gonabfit
    Options
    Sorry guys. Please don't always assume the worst. I haven't up and disappeared but I do have limited access to the internet at times.

I have a job where I work 80 hours a week. I PROMISE I am still active and will put the posts up as soon as I can. I mean this in the most kind way ever and I hope no one takes it wrong but I can't be expected to do all of this on my own and never miss a post because I am literally working 80 hours a week. (Literally, I worked 14 - (12-14 hour) days in a row with 2 -24 hour calls and am doing another 24 hour shift tonight. And another 24 hour shift on Monday).

When I can post, I will. If I can't... I will have to do it late (or someone can fill in for me as KA has graciously done. thank you) . Unfortunately I can't always use the internet at work because its unprofessional and most patients don't want to see their doctors on MFP posting when I'm supposed to be working... some days are more relaxed though and I can!

KA I appreciate your stepping in and posting the weigh in... Fitter body, I appreciate all the times you've helped out as well. I just want to warn you all again that I can not guarantee I won't miss a week of posting if I am running on 2 hours of sleep and doing my best to make it through the week. Sorry to let you down but I've got to prioritize my time.
  • gonabfit
    Options
    Mini Goals for this week:

Do 25 pushups and 25 squats every day this week.
    Eat at least one meal a day that brings you closer to your goals (i.e carb/fat/protein ratio OR not fastfood or calories fit with plan etc)

Next week: do strength training during commercials or walk in place...
    nutrition goal= ??
  • KA___
    Options
    Thanks Gona. Exercise challenge is understood but don't quite get what the food one is. But I eat on plan mostly so think that covers it.

The following one is funny to me as I don't watch TV
  • KA___
    Options
    Squats and push-ups done before 6am.
    How's everyone else doing?
  • KA___
    Options
    Well no one else posting! Day two squats and push-ups done before the sun came up
  • gonabfit
    Options
    Day 1 push ups/squats done! (25/25)- Monday
    Day 2 push ups/squats done! (25/30) - Tuesday

It might just be us KA!! lol Maybe others will join in after they see our success! :blush:

What I meant with the food goal: I was saying for the people working on their nutrition. If you have trouble with meeting your goals, try to get at least ONE balanced meal each day -based on what you hope to accomplish fitness wise.

Is that a little clearer?

• gonabfit
    Options
    As an alternative to the TV fitness... can you do10 mins of walking in place for every 1-2 hours of sitting? Can you aim for 10,000 steps?
  • KA___
    Options
    Thanks Gona.

Good all understood. I'm dyslexic and don't always get the meaning of what's written, lol!

I stick to my food plan easily, only when I have a relapse do things slip.

I wear a Fitbit, I don't do much sitting down( maybe 90mins before bed. ) I always reach my goal of 12,000 steps, regularly double that. Yesterday was over 27000. I see if I can come up with something on the same lines. Thank you.

Today squats and push-ups done( it's 5.20am) I'm doing a lot of bw squats and minimum of 25pushups.
  • FitterBody
    FitterBody Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I think you were both on your own because no one, including me, knew about the mini challenge starting. Unfortunately MFP is lousy at thread management so far and peeps DO NOT get notifications that these threads have been updated, and most peep likely only (maybe) check this thread when they post their weigh in. If you want to run mini challenges then I think you will need to put in a lot more time manually notifying peeps via messages or profile news feeds so that they know when these will be started and how they are progressing which you may not have regularly but that is obviously something only you can judge as to how much of any available time that you have you are willing to invest in this.
  • gonabfit
    Options
    Made my 25 push up goal AND 25 squats. :-D

I'm thinking of increasing the number for next week and maybe eep it up till I get to 50/100. (Over a month) I'll continue with whatever other challenges we create as well!

Good point Fitter... Well, I can try to tell people again. extra time is a rarity but I'll put it on the announcements again and hope someone bites. KA if you can share it with some friends, that'd be great!
  • KA___
    Options
    Squats and pushups done before bootcamp this morning.
  • gonabfit
    Options
    Did an extra set of push ups/squats yesterday.

Got them done today too