Just wondering

Options
Moe0112
Moe0112 Posts: 123 Member
Just wondering when all else has failed has anyone turned to surgery for help? Is that considered cheating?

Replies

• wwstewart
    wwstewart Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    No, it's not considered cheating. I haven't done it yet, but I've seriously contemplated it. I figure that if I can't kick my butt into shape on my own, then I may need it. Just not quite ready to take that step yet.
  • Moe0112
    Moe0112 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I actually did get the sleeve done April 2. Probably the best decision I could have made for myself. But when talking to another member you could totally tell they were unhappy with the choice I made to the point they were just rude! Oh well everyone struggle is different. I was just wondering if others felt that way as well.
  • cyndylopez
    cyndylopez Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I personally don't believe in it unless you have health issues that prevent you from losing weight. But that is no reason to be rude. Don't worry about what other people think. You did what you wanted and felt was right. All those others are just mad because you are going to lose weight much faster than they are. Keep your head up.
  • johnm8703
    johnm8703 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Moe - If you felt that it was right for you that's all that matters. I know it's hard not to listen to other people but their opinion is just that THEIR opinion. All that matters is your opinion. Best of luck to you on your recovery and your journey!
  • wwstewart
    wwstewart Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If people are rude about this, they obviously don't give a crap about your well being. Best to ignore them (because setting them on fire is socially frowned upon).

Best of luck!
  • Jessika421
    Jessika421 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been considering surgery for awhile. I have two medical issues (among quite a few) that make weight loss very difficult for me using "conventional" methods. I don't consider it cheating. If anything I think it would be harder if you have surgery. The only person you need to worry about is yourself, to heck with anyone else.
  • Nene1125
    Nene1125 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Retired nurse here. My doc suggested surgery and I am fighting it with being on Nutrisystem. Surgery should be between the individual and their medical doctor. There is no easy way to lose weight. It is all work. Best luck to all of us and no judgement here.
  • silverteacup
    silverteacup Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    No, it's not cheating because even with the sleeve you still have to pay attention to your diet. It's a tool that is all.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I've been offered lap band surgery by a friend before in the past. They were going to pay for it all, expenses, air travel, etc etc. I politely refused the offer. I wanted to give it a go on my own before I thought of surgery. I don't think it's cheating if you decide to do it.
  • Ladybugabo
    Ladybugabo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    WLS surgery is most definitely not cheating. WLS is a tool for weight loss and not some magic ticket. I have not had WLS but my mother, several cousins and close friends have had the surgery. Their struggles are no different than mine, they still have to follow a diet and exercise to loose weight. Many people who are uneducated about how the surgery works tend to believe that the surgery is some magical cure for obesity, how sad for them. Please don't let uneducated people bring you down.