Back on track -- how do you stay motivated?

Options
rebolaugh
rebolaugh Posts: 125 Member
Well, I lost my 220-day streak on MFP. And for the past couple of weeks I've been overeating and have gained a few pounds back. I recently went to the doctor, and everything looks good in terms of my numbers (blood pressure, glucose, cholesterol, etc.) BUT I need to lose weight. I went out of town over the weekend to visit my sister-in-law, and I ate junk food for 4 days straight. I don't think I consumed a single fruit or vegetable. I feel gross now. I'm hoping to remember this "gross" feeling and get back on track so I can once again start seeing that number on the scale go down.

How do you all get/stay motivated?

Replies

• ThePinkPanda
    ThePinkPanda Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    i'm actually in the same boat as you. the last month has been bad for my overall diet and i've been slacking on my workouts the last few weeks. I'm trying to pull it together. I've been feeling bloated and "gross" myself.

I don't have any tips for motivation except what i've been trying to do- pull it together and stick with it. I'm not gaining wait other than occasional bloat so that's a win for me.
  • rebolaugh
    Options
    Thanks, Pink Panda! Looking at your 92-lb (!!!!) loss is certainly inspiring, and it's nice to know that you can sustain that loss even while making less-than-ideal food choices, etc.
  • ThePinkPanda
    ThePinkPanda Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    ha! i totally used the wrong "weight". i guess i didn't proof read xD

yeah my biggest thing is to shrug off terrible days/ weeks (they happen) and try to get back to it as soon as i can. like today, i had two donuts. but whatevs. the rest of my day looks alright and i have practice later. and i know tomorrow will be better, and that's what matters. even if i fall behind in my scheduled workouts (which i do, frequently), i just pick up where i left off and keep going, without beating myself up. it took a long time to get to the point where unscheduled days off and terrible food choices were "ok."

I'm glad i can inspire people :)
  • rebolaugh
    Options
    I do admire your attitude!
  • narrington77
    narrington77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've been fighting with weight loss my whole life... My real success came after the birth of my second child in 2008.. I've literally ridden the upto diet roller coaster for years lol. This year is the first year I've maintained a weight loss... And it started with finding a way of eating that works for UR lifestyle rather than a diet that can only be temporary. Also forgive uraelf for falling off track and jump back on the wagon immediately before bad habits creep back in!
  • rebolaugh
    Options
    Thanks, Narrington! I also have two small kids, and I agree that they are key to my desires to get fit -- so I can enjoy many years with them AND keep up with them at the playground! ;)
  • therealpatrick
    therealpatrick Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling right now. Nearly 200 days in, and I achieved my weight loss/body fat reduction goals, but now I am trying to put on weight, which is a whole new ball of wax.

Trying to really throw myself into it, while not being too hard on myself when progress doesn't show up quickly.
  • Peanut_321
    Peanut_321 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds cheesy but I try to stay positive. In order to be happy i have to be healthy. :)
  • RielyNu
    RielyNu Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every week. I hold me self accountable to the scale. No matter gain or lose I remind myself and the end of the day, I want to live better. I want to feel better.. I want to purchase clothing at the mall and not online. I have to get on that scale every week.
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I just remind myself of all the changes I've gone through to get here. I was a 13 to a 15, I'm now a zero. When I started playing roller derby, I couldn't even get through warm ups, then I became a jammer. I was pre diabetic, and in pre hypertension at 20 years old, at 26, I'm in great health. I can go up stairs, wear swim suits in public without feeling as self conscious, and just generally feel better and feel more beautiful than I did before.
  • rebolaugh
    Options
    Wow, you all are awesome! Thanks for your great comments.
  • wikpix
    wikpix Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had a great streak on MFP and lost around 25kg (55ish pounds) but then I went travelling for over a year and some weight crept back on.

I've been back home now for almost 10 months but I have only just hit my stride with regards to MFP and tracking and losing weight etc. And ti's not for a lock of trying. I'm not sure what has clicked this last few weeks but I am now feeling how I was before I went o.s. and have lost 4kg in the last 2 weeks.

What I have been doing though is tracking everything. Eating small amounts of food a few times day so that I don't get too hungry. Also I have been planning my dinners and I've also been trawling the internet for motivations quotes and blogs etc. which I think has really helped me. I seem to be in a better frame of mind now.

The good losses have certainly helped me too but one thing I can certainly say is that I have kept trying. I took the pressure off myself and just kept making the effort because I knew that it would click into gear one day.
  • rebolaugh
    Options
    wikpix wrote: »
    I had a great streak on MFP and lost around 25kg (55ish pounds) but then I went travelling for over a year and some weight crept back on.

I've been back home now for almost 10 months but I have only just hit my stride with regards to MFP and tracking and losing weight etc. And ti's not for a lock of trying. I'm not sure what has clicked this last few weeks but I am now feeling how I was before I went o.s. and have lost 4kg in the last 2 weeks.

What I have been doing though is tracking everything. Eating small amounts of food a few times day so that I don't get too hungry. Also I have been planning my dinners and I've also been trawling the internet for motivations quotes and blogs etc. which I think has really helped me. I seem to be in a better frame of mind now.

The good losses have certainly helped me too but one thing I can certainly say is that I have kept trying. I took the pressure off myself and just kept making the effort because I knew that it would click into gear one day.

This is awesome! I'm glad you found the right mindset.

Also, I'm jealous that you got to travel for a year -- where did you go?
  • wikpix
    wikpix Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It was an awesome trip, we visited 22 different countries and lived in Cambodia for 4 months.

We also got to meet up with some extended family in Sweden and also Scotland as well as visiting friends in England, Nederlands and US.

Having said that though, there is still so much we didn't get to see. I think the more you get to see of this wonderful world, the more you want to see of it!

• rebolaugh
    Options
    Wow, that does sound awesome! I went to Scotland a few years ago and am dying to go back -- it was so beautiful and everyone we met was so nice. I loved it.
  • Joliekay1582
    Joliekay1582 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    rebolaugh wrote: »
    Well, I lost my 220-day streak on MFP. And for the past couple of weeks I've been overeating and have gained a few pounds back. I recently went to the doctor, and everything looks good in terms of my numbers (blood pressure, glucose, cholesterol, etc.) BUT I need to lose weight. I went out of town over the weekend to visit my sister-in-law, and I ate junk food for 4 days straight. I don't think I consumed a single fruit or vegetable. I feel gross now. I'm hoping to remember this "gross" feeling and get back on track so I can once again start seeing that number on the scale go down.

How do you all get/stay motivated?

Hope u have found your way back to the healthier side of things... I also wavered a bit, although u had a 220 day streak to lose! That's pretty cool in its self. I'm currently in way motivated mode :) I have found a magazine called "strong" that I love. I keep them around my house and in my work bag. And if I watch TV I have found motivational shows really help push me. Shows such as extreme weight loss with Chris Powell, my 600 pound life, biggest loser, or what I secretly love documentaries like ted talks, food inc., or pumping iron with the famous Arnold Schwarzenegger himself. King of fitness. If I surround myself with these Ppl that are just out fighting the good fight for themselves then I can do it also!!
  • rebolaugh
    Options
    Thanks! I'll look for that magazine you mention. I've seen a couple of episodes of My 600 lb life, which I do find motivational usually. I like Biggest Loser, although less now that Jillian is gone.
  • Joliekay1582
    Joliekay1582 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    rebolaugh wrote: »
    Thanks! I'll look for that magazine you mention. I've seen a couple of episodes of My 600 lb life, which I do find motivational usually. I like Biggest Loser, although less now that Jillian is gone.

Omg I am a huge Jillian fan! So yes its not the same for me.
  • dearmrsowl
    dearmrsowl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    What always helps me is the great feeling I have when accomplishing a good day. Since I haven't cut out anything from my diet it always makes me happy when I can have a bit of my favorite chocolate without feeling guilty. Plus, I have a bullet journal and one of my pages is dedicated to weight loss so every time I lose a pound I can check of one of the boxes. Seeing the page getting colorful motivates me a lot.
  • rebolaugh
    Options
    dearmrsowl wrote: »
    What always helps me is the great feeling I have when accomplishing a good day. Since I haven't cut out anything from my diet it always makes me happy when I can have a bit of my favorite chocolate without feeling guilty. Plus, I have a bullet journal and one of my pages is dedicated to weight loss so every time I lose a pound I can check of one of the boxes. Seeing the page getting colorful motivates me a lot.

That's awesome!