PCOS and Nutrition Goals

Options
Iggy1992
Iggy1992 Posts: 29 Member
Hi ladies,

I'm new to this whole 'not letting PCOS rule my life' business and I'm wondering what some of you have set your percentages of carbs, fat and protein.

I have IR and PCOS and am looking to loose 20kg (doctor wants more, or until I start having a regular period). I am not on any medication other than a contraceptive pill to prevent the unlikely event of us getting pregnant.

I have, until yesterday, been eating roughly 80% carbs so I'm not wanting to go crazy low carb, just wanting to ease myself into healthy eating.

thanks in advance

Replies

• pandabear7486
    pandabear7486 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've had PCOS for 14 years now. I am now trying again to lose weight. In my searching I found many people suggest following a KETO style diet which is low carb high fat. If you're not looking for a crazy low carb maybe try 40 fat, 30 carb, 30 protein and see how that feels. My macros are currently 70 fat, 10 carb, 20 protein. Good luck!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm at about 25 grams of carbs, 85-120 grams of protein, and whatever else is left in fat. Usually 130+ grams. the carb grams are most important. percentages dont matter as much. I sent my percentages to match the grams.

That being said, I would figure out your carb grams and every Monday, I would step down ten grams. Maintain that number through the week. Since I have no idea what your current grams are I'm going to use 250 as an example.

Week one 250 grams daily
    Week two 240 grams daily
    week three 230 grams daily

Try to balance it by averaging the same amount per meal. or close. keep moving down until the cravings stop. Focus on getting your carbs from leafy and fibrous veggies and dairy. not from breads and potatoes and definitely not sugars.

You will hit a point where the cravigs stop and weight loss is easier. That is going to be the range your body prefers. we can't predict what that will be as everyone is different, but it is usually under 100 grams daily.

Key factors to making.this work are getting enough water (take your weight in pounds and divide it in half. drink that many ounces.) and setting your protein as a range to maintain your muscle health and filling in fats a you lower carbs.

Side note, fruits will be lowered too. stick to small portions of berries and stone fruits like peaches and always pair them with fats like homemade whipped cream or a cream cheese dip or sharp cheese. it trains your body. To use them differently.

Most of all, good luck!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I've had PCOS for 14 years now. I am now trying again to lose weight. In my searching I found many people suggest following a KETO style diet which is low carb high fat. If you're not looking for a crazy low carb maybe try 40 fat, 30 carb, 30 protein and see how that feels. My macros are currently 70 fat, 10 carb, 20 protein. Good luck!

These seems to work pretty well for me. I struggle if I go lower than about 80 gm carbs/day. I have found I can generally lose weight if I stay under 100 gm carbs/day and maintain at up to 120 or so. Much more than that and I start to gain pretty quickly.

• Chewitz
    Chewitz Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm on a lower carb diet not too low I have around 100g carbs
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Chewitz wrote: »
    I'm on a lower carb diet not too low I have around 100g carbs

That is where my endocrinologist had me start, too. I'll just say that I couldn't beat the carb cravings until I dropped to 50 grams a day from veggies and dairy only (grains/bread are gone from my eating, and I don't miss them!). My normal days ended up around 35 grams, so after a month, I made the leap and dropped to 20 grams for Ketosis, which my body seems to LOVE.

I started LCHFMP on 1/15, switched to Keto 2/18, had a weird body stall in all of April and half of May until I dropped all the fake sweets, and am back on a roll. I've lost 21 pounds since January, 2 full pants sizes, and about 20 some inches (I need to remeasure to update this number).

This gets easier the longer you stay on it. Once I figured out what my body tolerates well and what it doesn't (it likes high fiber veggies, but doesn't like fruits - even a few strawberries put my brain back in BINGE mode, and it doesn't really care about super low carb/high fiber breads, but I honestly don't miss them), it makes it so much easier. My brain automatically defaults to the foods that nourish my body more, and the mental binging/starving/uncontrollable signals are muffled and muted.

Good luck!
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I thought it would be really really hard for me to cut processed sugar out of my diet, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. I will say, I kind of freaked out and didn't know what to eat for almost two weeks and didn't really eat much at all (since I hadn't had an appointment with my doctor to discuss my diet yet), which probably helped from a kicking the habit standpoint, although I wouldn't recommend that to anyone else.

I am not a Keto dieter. I eat vegetarian/pescatarian and that causes my carbs to be slightly higher. However, my hormone levels have improved according to my blood work, so I'm calling it a win.

I eat a LOT of nuts (possibly more than I should), seeds. About 2-4 servings of veggies at every meal (or most meals). Very little fruit...I use bananas to sweeten desserts sometimes and do eat berries on occasion. The veggies definitely help me to feel like I'm eating a lot at a meal with little carbs or even calories. At first it felt like TOO MUCH FOOD (and not enough calories)! But now I'm used to it and have found a way to boost my calories to a normal level so I'm not constantly starving and tethered to my kitchen.

Flour is a bit difficult to stay away from and I do miss baked pastries. However, almond flour is a lifesaver and there are a lot of coconut flour recipes, too. It's so annoying to explain to people that I'm NOT gluten free, but I am grain free.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    alfiedn wrote: »
    I thought it would be really really hard for me to cut processed sugar out of my diet, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. I will say, I kind of freaked out and didn't know what to eat for almost two weeks and didn't really eat much at all (since I hadn't had an appointment with my doctor to discuss my diet yet), which probably helped from a kicking the habit standpoint, although I wouldn't recommend that to anyone else.

I am not a Keto dieter. I eat vegetarian/pescatarian and that causes my carbs to be slightly higher. However, my hormone levels have improved according to my blood work, so I'm calling it a win.

I eat a LOT of nuts (possibly more than I should), seeds. About 2-4 servings of veggies at every meal (or most meals). Very little fruit...I use bananas to sweeten desserts sometimes and do eat berries on occasion. The veggies definitely help me to feel like I'm eating a lot at a meal with little carbs or even calories. At first it felt like TOO MUCH FOOD (and not enough calories)! But now I'm used to it and have found a way to boost my calories to a normal level so I'm not constantly starving and tethered to my kitchen.

Flour is a bit difficult to stay away from and I do miss baked pastries. However, almond flour is a lifesaver and there are a lot of coconut flour recipes, too. It's so annoying to explain to people that I'm NOT gluten free, but I am grain free.

I find my body just likes the way I'm eating. It is simpler. Anything under 150 grams of carbs is really considered low carbs, overall. My body doesn't tolerate the sugars in bananas and such well, so I just don't eat them anymore. I'm not gluten free or really grain free with any intention. It just kind of happened. I never was a huge bread person (fresh bread, garlic bread, sure...sweet breads, absolutely, but just any bread, not so much)...but I was a sweets junkie, so that was harder for me.

The key is to figuring out what works best for your body and your life. That is different for every single person. Congrats to you for figuring yours out! As far as baked pastries, I miss the idea of them, but I don't miss them exactly. I had one tiny bit of a croissant donut and wanted to binge eat everything for a week, so I know they are massively detrimental to me. I have found foods my body likes and foods it doesn't. I haven't braved anything with almond or coconut flour yet, but I'm still breaking the addiction and binge cycle in my brain, and I find that any faux-foods or substitutes still that the negative effect on my brain.