The more I fight for my health...the more problems I uncover... ***CROSS POST***

Options
KnitOrMiss
KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
Honestly, today is one of those days where most of me, if not more, wants to just give up. A 5 am or so today, I pulled up the updates on my blood tests that I'm going to the doctor for tomorrow, and one result stopped me in my tracks. When something switches from negative result (being good) to a positive result (being bad), I wanted to know what that meant. And so I googled.

One answer jumped off the page at me over and over again: AUTO-IMMUNE

I was so floored you could have pushed me over with a feather. This was EXACTLY the kind of future I was fighting to avoid. My mother is so severely auto-immune that at this point, I've honestly no idea how she has a quality of life. I immediately wanted to give up on everything.

This past five years, I've been fighting like hell to regain myself, my health, my happiness, etc. It seems like the further I come in that fight, the more problems I develop, discover, or simply have to face! It is so demoralizing, like I'm being tested. "You want to get healthy? Are you sure? Oh, here, have some plantar fasciitis! Oh, that didn't stop you? Divorce. Misery. Lose everything you think is important! Nothing? Really? Let's give you female complications... Barely a blink? What about some high blood pressure? No? Maybe some insulin resistance, ha! No? Fall asleep every time you eat (postprandial somnolance)! NO?? Fine, I'll pull out the big guns! AUTO-IMMUNE. WHAM! Ha! That slowed you down a bit, no?" as this inner mental demon does a happy dance.

So forgive me if I'm contemplative this morning, trying to figure out what it all means. Apparently, I'll likely have to do some more blood work to determine what type, but the Rheumatoid test was lower than ever, so I guess at least it isn't that. And yes, I know there can be false positives, but all of my white blood cell counts were up across the board in all my other tests, too, so I highly doubt that. I have a family history of this. And I spent the better part of two decades treating my body like crap. So I suppose I really shouldn't be surprised...

Just send good thoughts, if you can... And for any of my amazing friends out there who've dealt with all this, please feel free to let me know how you deal with it, live, function, and hell, even give a damn! (hugs) to all...

Replies

• Jennym93
    Jennym93 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything useful to say but I send love and hugs :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Jennym93 wrote: »

Love and hugs are always useful. Thanks. Feeling loads better just hearing people remind me of reality and that they give a hoot, so THANKS. :)
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

Same here. Love and Hugs, Or Hugs and Bacon, depending on which sounds better. <3

Auto immune sucks, ive had issues since I was 25 but the LCHF/Keto WOE helps so very much.

My one thought is, your new WOE is clearing things up so you can find the rest of what's wrong and fix that too. The high carb diet might have masked a few things you'd have had anyway and you'd have not known till you were much worse. So while the bad news sucks, and I am so very sorry you got it, at least you are finding out now when you are still healthy enough to work on fixing or minimizing it.

Lots of <3 and even more hugs...and bacon :p
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »

Same here. Love and Hugs, Or Hugs and Bacon, depending on which sounds better. <3

Auto immune sucks, ive had issues since I was 25 but the LCHF/Keto WOE helps so very much.

My one thought is, your new WOE is clearing things up so you can find the rest of what's wrong and fix that too. The high carb diet might have masked a few things you'd have had anyway and you'd have not known till you were much worse. So while the bad news sucks, and I am so very sorry you got it, at least you are finding out now when you are still healthy enough to work on fixing or minimizing it.

Lots of <3 and even more hugs...and bacon :p

That is True, @Alliwan. I'm trying to remember to stay thankful. It is getting easier than my freak out this morning. I took a little time and organized all my results so I can go over them with the doctor... That helped a bunch.

And I keep having the whiny voice in my head, "but I've already worked on so much and keep working on so much...I don't wanna work on anything else." But, alas, it's no longer a choice. It's in my face...

And yup, I'll go for the trifecta - love, hugs, AND bacon...lots and lots of bacon...
  • lisemcl
    lisemcl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't really have anything constructive to add, but it sounds like you've had a lot to deal with in the past and auto immune really does suck. But see what your doctor says and I'm sure once the shock has passed, you'll find a way to deal with it, the way you have obviously dealt with everything else.
    Lisax
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I have no advice. However, I feel for you. It can't be fun to continually get bad news about your health. However, perhaps treating this in some way will help every aspect of your life! :) Knowledge, as you know, is power. It may be the power to help you feel good long term and finding out now may help your quality of life later. Maybe you won't have that poor quality that you're afraid of (and rightly so).

Thinking of you!
  • pandabear7486
    pandabear7486 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I was looking at some autoimmune possible issues myself last year. Do you have allergies? If you don't or haven't been tested that might be worth looking at. Mine ended up being a result of severe allergy irritation but it ended with me seeing a Rheumatologist to be sure. After I was out of the situation that was triggering my allergy issue some results were still high but no real explanation. I actually follow-up in May, a little more than 6 weeks since then and we will see what my results look like. Good luck and I hope you get the answers and information you need!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I was looking at some autoimmune possible issues myself last year. Do you have allergies? If you don't or haven't been tested that might be worth looking at. Mine ended up being a result of severe allergy irritation but it ended with me seeing a Rheumatologist to be sure. After I was out of the situation that was triggering my allergy issue some results were still high but no real explanation. I actually follow-up in May, a little more than 6 weeks since then and we will see what my results look like. Good luck and I hope you get the answers and information you need!

I have always had allergies and even took allergy shots for a bit but nothing helps there and they are decently managed with oral and nasal medications together. But I have always had crazy sensitive skin. my rheumatoid numbers are super low so it isn't that. but I've been having crazy sun sensitivity lately that prompted me changing my meds. butnthe sensitivity hasn't lessened and it's been over a week since I switched. I'm hoping more time helps.

But I did have a massive hit of this wacky sun rash the say I did the tests. so maybe it is related. I'm going to try not to worry until I get in to the doc. my endocrinologist was curious but said I was already doing a ton to prevent this type of thing, so he wasn't super worried and just said to follow up with my regular doctor.
  • jaimekbee1219
    jaimekbee1219 Posts: 96 Member
    Options

My one thought is, your new WOE is clearing things up so you can find the rest of what's wrong and fix that too.

I was going to say something similar! And add an anecdote: My cousin in law has Hashimoto's and while it isn't easy, her reaction to being diagnosed was "thank GOD I'm not just crazy!" Before that she was depressed, having mood swings, and it was impossible to lose weight. She thought she was losing her mind - the diagnosis gave her a starting point to figure out how to get healthy. Not sure what autoimmune you may (or may not) have, but hopefully it will only give you more information about how to get healthier!

Sending you lots of positive vibes! :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

My one thought is, your new WOE is clearing things up so you can find the rest of what's wrong and fix that too.

I was going to say something similar! And add an anecdote: My cousin in law has Hashimoto's and while it isn't easy, her reaction to being diagnosed was "thank GOD I'm not just crazy!" Before that she was depressed, having mood swings, and it was impossible to lose weight. She thought she was losing her mind - the diagnosis gave her a starting point to figure out how to get healthy. Not sure what autoimmune you may (or may not) have, but hopefully it will only give you more information about how to get healthier!

Which is so true, but it seems like every single time I find that there may be some explanation to what has been going on with me all of my adult life, my results are always negative, and tell me nothing, other than, nope, I'm still crazy... SIGH
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

I'm still crazy... SIGH

Hun, I deal with, in and around crazy everyday. Crazy is a fun place to be!

But seriously, I know it is annoying and can be disheartening but you are working for your health. You are getting better. Look at how far you've come! You are teaching doctors about PCOS, the anomalies that can come with it and learning yourself as you go. I am proud to call you my mfp friend and am amazed at your progress and your attitude everyday even knowing all the things you are dealing with outside of your health issues.

Lots of hugs and bacon to you! <3
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

I'm still crazy... SIGH

Hun, I deal with, in and around crazy everyday. Crazy is a fun place to be!

But seriously, I know it is annoying and can be disheartening but you are working for your health. You are getting better. Look at how far you've come! You are teaching doctors about PCOS, the anomalies that can come with it and learning yourself as you go. I am proud to call you my mfp friend and am amazed at your progress and your attitude everyday even knowing all the things you are dealing with outside of your health issues.

Lots of hugs and bacon to you! <3

It is way too easy to lose focus on the big picture when mired in the tiny details. Thanks for the reminders. And you're one of my favorite MFP friends, too. :) LOL If not for you and @Dragonwolf, I don't I'd have made even 1/10th of the progress I have...

Hugs and bacon right back!
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear knit, I've been absent around here lately so I know I'm a day late and a dollar short with my comments :p

I truly believe that our bodies are one whole unit and our medical issues are related to each other. I agree with some of the other ladies that have mentioned, by clearing up one issue it may be making others more apparent and bring them to the forefront.

Much love and support, I totally get the frustration of an ever growing list of ailments :'(