Spring Into Summer Muscle Challenge!

Options
krokador
krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
Spring Into Summer Muscle - May 1st to June 21st

Thanks a bunch to crabada and MissHolidayGolightly for the suggestions which led to the challenge title. I mean, who doesn't want some more muscle for summer? ;)

So after doing the 15 in 15 and realizing that attendance and commitment seems to falter right around the halfway point (at least mine did, and it got a lot more quiet on that thread around there, too), I decided to keep this one short. The original plan was to go for 8 weeks, then I looked at the dates and figured leading into summer itself was a pretty good idea for a deadline. Who wants to be bikini ready?! (Well, I don't. No way in hell that I'll ever wear a bikini, but, y'know. beach body and all that stuff).

This one's going to be a little different, as it will be a little more specific in terms of endgame and goal definition, AND it will be ranked. No prizes to win or anything, really. Just bragging rights (and I'm not even 100% sure on my scoring scale for everything yet, so who knows?). Figured a little friendly competition could do us ladies some good :)

Here's a quick breakdown (the full info can be found: Here - I kept this post shorter so it doesn't hit everyone like a brick wall):
  1. Everyone will set 3 goals for themselves. A milestone, a daily habit and an intangible. (read the doc!)
  2. There will be a test/re-test workout for everyone to perform. Something simple enough that you can do it with minimal equipment (a DB or KB. I can write up a barbell version as well but to be comparable there would be cleans, not sure everyone is comfortable with those)
  3. Body composition is important, so if everyone's okay with that, I'd gather everyone's stats at the beginning and the end and give points according to LBM and inches lost for the most part (% based). If you're not comfortable with sharing those stats with everyone, I will leave the numbers out and just show your score. Before and after pictures are a plus but not mandatory.
  4. Weekly check-ins. Always important
  5. Weekly pop-finisher mini workouts to perform for bonus points!

I will put together a google survey for all of you to register and, since MFP forums don't allow modifications to the thread after an hour, I'm going to update the rules of the challenge and links in a separate google doc that you can all read and will be linked as well. And I promise I'll give it a table of contents and whatnot and WILL let you know in the thread when updates are done. :P

Again, you can find the document with all the rules here :)

So what say you, ladies? Ready for this challenge? Any questions? Suggestions?

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I%27m_like_YES.gif
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Oh my, this is gonna be hard but I'm in! I will have to start around May 3rd when I get back from vacation
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for putting this together, it well be great inspiration!
  • MalineVD
    MalineVD Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Tough one, but I'm up for it! I'll try in modify my kg and cm into lbs and inches :)
  • krokador
    Options
    MalineVD wrote: »
    Tough one, but I'm up for it! I'll try in modify my kg and cm into lbs and inches :)

I'll have everything in a spreadsheet, running conversions won't be a problem as long as I know what I'm dealing with to begin :)
  • MalineVD
    MalineVD Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    krokador wrote: »

I'll have everything in a spreadsheet, running conversions won't be a problem as long as I know what I'm dealing with to begin :)

Great!! Never done a challenge on MFP before, so really excited. Hope I can keep up with you guys, considering this in my first week on SL5x5!

• xcalygrl
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Quick question: when will we do the baseline challenge? April 30 or May 1? (I'd personally prefer to do it April 30th because I'm going to be traveling on May 1, but I can make it work on May 1 if I need to.)

ETA: Sorry if this was in the full rules/outline. I didn't see it anywhere.
  • krokador
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Quick question: when will we do the baseline challenge? April 30 or May 1? (I'd personally prefer to do it April 30th because I'm going to be traveling on May 1, but I can make it work on May 1 if I need to.)

Oh, I forgot to specify that. You'll be able to do the baseline anytime between when I post the survey to enter the score and May 3rd (well, the 4th in the morning, really). I'm going to run it tomorrow morning first to make sure I'm not putting you guys through (too much) hell, so please hold off until then! For one, I think I'll put a time cap on the body weight section. Haha

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Sounds fun but I'm out this time around. I did too many challenges in April plus might move, so think I'll cut back a little pre-summer to just the 12 week from NROLFW group and any monthly goal posts. Maybe I'll join next time.

Have fun everyone and lift big. :wink:
  • xcalygrl
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »

Oh, I forgot to specify that. You'll be able to do the baseline anytime between when I post the survey to enter the score and May 3rd (well, the 4th in the morning, really). I'm going to run it tomorrow morning first to make sure I'm not putting you guys through (too much) hell, so please hold off until then! For one, I think I'll put a time cap on the body weight section. Haha

Cool! Thanks for clearing that up :smile: That'll work perfectly then!
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Krok, thanks so much for putting this together! You're awesome. :)

I will definitely participate in some way, but I feel like I need simplicity in my routine at the moment, so I will probably have to modify some of this. I'll probably just be kind of a hanger-on, if that's OK.

xoxo,
    C.
  • krokador
    Options
    crabada wrote: »
    Krok, thanks so much for putting this together! You're awesome. :)

I will definitely participate in some way, but I feel like I need simplicity in my routine at the moment, so I will probably have to modify some of this. I'll probably just be kind of a hanger-on, if that's OK.

xoxo,
    C.

I'm a wordy/rambly gal, so it probably looks more complicated than it really is. The gist of it is pretty straightforward. I'm sure you'll be able to follow:

The baseline workout is a twice off in 7 weeks. You only need to do measurements twice as well. The goals are easy to keep track of: Write them down on a sheet of paper and stick it to the fridge, then write numbers on goal #1 every day and an x for the habit. End of the challenge just count the Xs and add up the numbers. And read goal #3 every morning to keep yourself motivated. (Oh, I just revealed my evil plan. Whoops?)

The optional weekly workouts are just that: optional. Who knows, maybe they'll sound fun to you at some point haha. I'll make sure they're easy and require no special equipment. Promise!

So, yeah. I'm the one who's gonna have to deal with the complicated stuff, lol (and that's alright. It helps me stay focused ;))
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Well I haven't actually read the rules yet, but yes definitely I will be participating :)
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    ScientificExplorerGirl Posts: 535 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Count me in!! I've just taken my first rest week in 5 months from lifting and am going to be back at it strong for the Summer!!

Thanks Krok :-)
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I'll have to sit this one out, but I look forward to all you awesome ladies continuing to be awesome.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think I'll give this a whirl even though I have a wedding in the beginning, a graduation in the middle, and a trip to the bourbon trail at the end. C'est la vie!
  • krokador
    Options
    Arf. So I was going to post the workout today (I even have video demos for the complex!) But in my head today,s list of chores was not 12 items long. Please bear with me until tomorrow night pl0x!

Unless you feel comfortable with what's currently listed in the doc (beeteedubs, I lowered the squats for the bodyweight grinder and tweaked the barbell version a bit, so make sure you check the latest revisions!) and simply cannot wait, then go ahead and complete it and I'll have the survey ready asap!

Also, feel free to post up your 3 big goals ahead of time if you know what you're going to be shooting for! Or take more time to think about it if you need to. You'll be able to change your mind up until next sunday either way!

So happy to see how many of you are willing to give it a go ^^
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    I tried to post this am but MFP timed out and ate my post :-(

Anyway, the baseline test definitely looks challanging! I think I need to see your video running through it so I know what all of the moves are.

I have been thinking about my specific goals. I wanted to make them difficult, but not impossible to achieve.
    1. Milestone Goal: Bike 500 miles
    2. Habit-forming goal: Flexibility routine 20 minutes per day
    3. Intangible Goal: Run 8 miles at average ~75-80% of max heart rate. I don't time my runs but go by heart rate. I would like to do this twice within the challenge. The first time will be early; the second near completion to see if my speed at the selected heart rate has improved.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options

Who in the world would flag this????
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

Who in the world would flag this????

Excel purists?