Spring Into Summer Muscle Challenge!

Options

Replies

• MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    @ScientificExplorerGirl I'm assuming (and hoping) it was flagged by accident?

1. Milestone: I'd like to be able to do unassisted pull ups but I don't know if this is a good goal for this challenge. Should this be more of an endurance challenge like run a certain number of miles or do x amount of something? @krokador what do you think?

3. Habit: drink 8 cups of water daily. I know the 8 cups requirement is subjective but I've been seriously lacking in the water department and I need to make sure I'm drinking enough.

3. Intangible: progress on my big three lifts. Maybe hit some PRs :mrgreen:
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @ScientificExplorerGirl I'm assuming (and hoping) it was flagged by accident?

1. Milestone: I'd like to be able to do unassisted pull ups but I don't know if this is a good goal for this challenge. Should this be more of an endurance challenge like run a certain number of miles or do x amount of something? @krokador what do you think?

3. Habit: drink 8 cups of water daily. I know the 8 cups requirement is subjective but I've been seriously lacking in the water department and I need to make sure I'm drinking enough.

3. Intangible: progress on my big three lifts. Maybe hit some PRs :mrgreen:

The milestone goal was more setting yourself a number of successful attempts on something you can pretty much already do, but want to get more of in the coming weeks (like do a thousand push-ups, travel 100 miles by foot, do 700 minutes of cardio, or 500 burpees, climb 150 floors, or even eat 200 portions of veggies, maybe? lol)

The unassisted pull-up is more of an intangible since you don't know that you can even perform it yet! It,s a good goal to have, tho!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Ok I'll add it to my intangibles and rethink the milestone. I'm not sure what I want to do yet for that.

Ps would it be weird if I followed you on Instagram?
  • krokador
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Okay, I think I got it figured out! Here's the quick and dirty about the pre-test workout!

As will be the case throughout the challenge, more info can be found on the big doc!

When you're ready to enter your stats and have chosen your goals, please fill this lil' form out for me?

1A) 8 min AMRAP (As Many Rounds As Possible) of Complex
    - Sumo deadlift x5
    - Sumo high pull x5
    - Ground to overhead x5
    - Goblet squat x5

You can use a DB, KB, or even the bar for this. Possible modifications are listed in the doc (I suggest you take a look as I also give my own tips on how to attack this workout!). Also, remember, a Complex must be done UNBROKEN!

Here's a link to me demoing each variation (at a relatively bad angle. Sorry!)
    - DB Version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_zL0oDVYow
    - KB Version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6topN_JMxEk
    - Bar version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y33i3zmJW1w

2A) Bodyweight burner - For Time (Cap 18 minutes)
    - 25 Pull-ups or 50 recline rows
    - 50 push-ups
    - 75 hollow rocks
    - 125 bw squats

3A) 400m run for time (can use a treadmill, or sub in 600m row at TOP resistance)

4A) Hold a basic plank for as long as possible

You have until Monday morning to submit your goals and workout results. If, for any reason, you are unable to complete the workout before then but still want to do a pre/post test, do fill in your goal and write zeros on the workout part and let me know in the comments. We'll work something out. You will not get points for the initial ranking but you can still get the score for improving!

If anything is unclear, feel free to ask!
  • krokador
    Options
    Ok I'll add it to my intangibles and rethink the milestone. I'm not sure what I want to do yet for that.

Ps would it be weird if I followed you on Instagram?

Feel free to! I mostly post pics of food, snow and cats, and videos of some lifts. I already have a few ladies here following me :)

I'm thinking I'm gonna make my milestone goal be something to do with chin-ups. Like do a boatload of negatives. Cuz when I was doing them regularly was when I came close to that unassisted chin-up :)
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Sweet! I post those things too. Hope not snow for another few months though ;)
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Our snow just melted so I hope we don't get anymore until the end of October!!! Imagine- six months of glorious outdoor running and biking :-) I am still working on my pullups but don't seem to be getting very far with them I guess I should really get those assistance bands--do they really help??
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I don't use bands but I use the assist machine to counter some of my weight. It does help me get used to doing the movement. I try to remove some of the assist over time until I eventually can do pull ups without help.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    holy crap this is complicated!

Krok can you recommend weights for us, if I tell you my weight and current lifting stats?? I've never done any of the moves in your AMRAP and I wouldn't even know what to use.
  • krokador
    Options
    threnjen wrote: »
    holy crap this is complicated!

Krok can you recommend weights for us, if I tell you my weight and current lifting stats?? I've never done any of the moves in your AMRAP and I wouldn't even know what to use.

I'd say do a weight you can easily overhead press for 6-10 reps in a set (so if you're at, say, 45lbs on the 5x5, a single 20lbs DB/KB might be it). I can OHP 75 for sets of 5, and I used a 45lbs KB.

I tried to pick a complex that wasn't too, well, complex! You've done deadlifts before! This one just has a slightly wider stance to accommodate the smaller implement. A high pull is just a continuation of a deadlift up to your chest by pulling back your shoulder blades! (and you can always just do a bent over row if that's too complicated. However you lose out on the hip power component which I think is one thing SL really is lacking). Ground to overhead is an even further continuation of that. Again, if not too comfortable with it, clean the weight to shoulder height once and just do a push press. Goblet squat is a GREAT leg and core move to round it out. It's basically a full body circuit in 4 not-too-technical moves!

You can always try it out with a really light weight to get a feel. One round should not exhaust you. Technically you should be able to get anywhere between 5-8 rounds during the 8 minutes.

I have a 20lbs DB at home, so if you think it would help I can try to film a more in-depth demo with talking. I guess my walls of text are probably scary haha.
    Our snow just melted so I hope we don't get anymore until the end of October!!! Imagine- six months of glorious outdoor running and biking :-) I am still working on my pullups but don't seem to be getting very far with them I guess I should really get those assistance bands--do they really help??

Resistance bands are great because, unlike the machine where your knees are resting on the pad, you have to keep yourself braced to avoid flopping around and can't get as much of a bounce at the bottom. And they can also be used for mobility work and band pulls + shoulder dislocations, which are great ways to get the lats firing before a session and keep those shoulders mobile (while being easier than using a stiff bar because you can pull the band apart while overhead) . You can get a decent set of 3 bands for about 30$. They're enough for me to crank out sets of 10ish at nearly 200lbs!

Thsi is the exact set I own: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Mountain-Strength-Resistance-Combo/dp/B00EVXS8UG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430304781&sr=8-1&keywords=black+mountain+resistance+loops
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @krokador this is absolutely awesome and just what I needed to focus on the next 7 weeks! Thank you for putting this together, I'm definitely in for this. Will need to do my tests and then I'll send you thru the info :) Thanks again!!
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    ScientificExplorerGirl Posts: 535 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks Krok! I think I will get a set!!
    ETA: Order just placed :-)
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    OK so I think I have my goals figured out.
    1) 200 KM of running. This works well with me trying to increase my weekly mileage. I can do it, but it will be a challenge and to me that's the point of goals.
    2) Bedtime yoga and stretching
    3) My grey pants that fit but don't really fit well. I will get them to fit better. (Pics to gauge this will be taken tomorrow with measurements.)
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Updated my goalz:

1. Milestone: Bike 100 miles. I have a mountain bike only so this is harder than it seems :)

2. Habit: drink 8 cups of water daily. I know the 8 cups requirement is subjective but I've been seriously lacking in the water department and I need to make sure I'm drinking enough.

3. Intangible: progress on my big three lifts. Maybe hit some PRs. Do a pull up or two unassisted.

• abrand1121
    abrand1121 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Will take measurements and goals written tomorrow! :D
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    So, I'm halfway in. :)

I'm going to work on the three goals with you all, and will do weekly check-ins, but I'm skipping the fitness tests / comparisons and probably most of the pop-up workouts. I feel like I really need to concentrate on re-building my foundation, and these extras are overwhelming for me right now.

MILESTONE: 13 lbs. in 13 weeks.
    HABIT: Drink 8 cups of water daily.
    INTANGIBLE: Start figuring out what's next re: school / jobs, etc.
  • krokador
    edited May 2015
    Options
    So after much debating in my little head about this I've settled on some goals that I think will take me where I want to be. I had to choose. Because I always tend to try to do too much at once. Hee.

Milestone: 750 pull-up/chin-up negatives while I'm at home (outside of workouts). That's about 15 a day. I better get started haha.

Habit: 20 minutes of focused mobility per day, not taking my warm-up at the gym into account, obviously. Adding in that I should not always just be focusing on my hips. My ankles and shoulders need some love, too!

Intangible: I want to be in the best shape possible for the 2 obstacle races I'm running during that time period (and monkey bars!), and possibly more afterwards. And for when I go see my wife this summer, whenever that is. :)

I think I'll take my measurements tomorrow, I'm a bloatausaurus today lol
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    krokador wrote: »

I think I'll take my measurements tomorrow, I'm a bloatausaurus today lol

Me too. I tried on my testing pants and it was just a no go.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    As @crabada said, "I'm halfway in."

Milestone: Reach my Jan weight.
    Habit: Daily water intake, min of 68 oz.
    Intangible: Hope to fit into my slacks/jeans sitting in my closet
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Just filled in the form.
    My goals:
    Milestone: 1000 push-ups over the entire challenge
    Daily Habit: at least 10 mins of stretching
    Intangible: To feel more in shape, more in control of my body, and to love the skin I'm in. (Corny, but it's kind of where I'm at mentally.)