foods you didn't think had carbs?

Options
bluefish86
bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
I just made myself a big ol' bowl of mussels for dinner because I figured they'd be good protein..... but 9g of carbs per 200g?!
I guess I should have had the steak. :blush: I would never have guessed that mussels had carbs...

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Watch spices for hidden carbs too! You will learn a lot about food using mfp!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I would never have thought that either.
  • april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I was pretty shocked as well to learn that shellfish in general has a relatively high carb count.

I was looking at Starbucks nutritional info on their website today and it said that a grande iced Americano has 3g of carbs. Not sure why? It's espresso, water and ice. No milk or sweetener.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    april731 wrote: »
    I was pretty shocked as well to learn that shellfish in general has a relatively high carb count.

I was looking at Starbucks nutritional info on their website today and it said that a grande iced Americano has 3g of carbs. Not sure why? It's espresso, water and ice. No milk or sweetener.

Coffee & espresso has carbs. .7 carbs per 6 ounces.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    eggs surprised me
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Tonic water. So bitter it needs sugar to make it drinkable.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Onions!!! And a lot of other veg too really, but onions mostly.
  • SazzySuze
    SazzySuze Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Broccoli, tomato, onions, spices. ..It seems maybe the only things without carbs is meat and fat. Ugh
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Ditto to the eggs.
  • SazzySuze
    Options
    My eggs say zero carbs. What does your egg carton say?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    SazzySuze wrote: »

~0.4 per egg, but labeling laws allow them to round down to zero. Same way non-stick sprays can say "zero calories" even though it's straight oil: the "serving size" of a short spray is small enough that the fat/calories can round to 0.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Ruby Tuesday's petite sirloin is 4 carbs....on their website, all their steaks have carbs. I asked the waitress if they were brined in something but she said no, just seasoned salt and steak butter. Hmmmmm. I just sent corporate an email to ask why.
  • Annette_906
    Annette_906 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I never put much thought into my spices before.....
  • spush
    spush Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I miss onions......
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    spush wrote: »
    I miss onions......
    I know! It is hard to make many a dish without delicious onions, the basis of so much savoury goodness. I try and allow for half a small one...
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else allergic to mussels? If I had just one I would be throwing up all night. This wrecked a night of my honeymoon in Spain when we shared a paella. I was careful not to eat the mussels, but obviously even the juice was lethal for me! Not what honeymoon nights are for!
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Garlic.. Onion and garlic powder, cottage cheese
  • spush
    spush Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else allergic to mussels? If I had just one I would be throwing up all night. This wrecked a night of my honeymoon in Spain when we shared a paella. I was careful not to eat the mussels, but obviously even the juice was lethal for me! Not what honeymoon nights are for!

Oh dear! Not a good honeymoon
    tlmeyn wrote: »
    Garlic.. Onion and garlic powder, cottage cheese

I've stopped liberally sprinkling in onion and garlic powder too.
  • SazzySuze
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

~0.4 per egg, but labeling laws allow them to round down to zero. Same way non-stick sprays can say "zero calories" even though it's straight oil: the "serving size" of a short spray is small enough that the fat/calories can round to 0.

Wow. I had no idea! That's pretty dirty. I have some things that say "<1" and I assumed those had carbs but were less than 1, obviously. But I always thought if it said "0" then that actually meant 0. What a bummer!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Ya
    [Wow. I had no idea! That's pretty dirty. I have some things that say "<1" and I assumed those had carbs but were less than 1, obviously. But I always thought if it said "0" then that actually meant 0. What a bummer!

Ya, it can be exploited, but it makes sense to draw the line somewhere, otherwise our labels would be illegible. For something like eggs it shouldn't really matter: if eggs are keeping you out of ketosis, you've got other issues to address first. :wink: But like for example Wickles Hoagie relish is 0 across the board for 2Tbsp, but I wrote to the mfg asking about info for a larger serving size since I used to add it to large batches of tuna salad ... they never got back to me. :frowning: