Guess how many carbs. .

Options
SazzySuze
SazzySuze Posts: 119 Member
Went to a Chinese buffet and kinda stuffed myself. I'm hoping my carb range was somewhere between 50-75. I had a salad (slice of onion and 5 cherry tomatoes included) with ranch dressing. I had 2 plates of other food that included meats and few veggies like broccoli and bell pepper with sauces and 2 slices of cantaloupe. I stayed away from all my usual carbs like rice, noodles, egg rolls, crab Rangoon, ice cream, chocolate fountain. I even stayed away from any meats that were breaded. So is it possible that the veggies, sauces, and cantaloupe are within 50-75 carbs? I really pigged out so I probably won't eat anything else the rest of the day. Regardless, this is better choices than I usually would have made so YAY me. Lol

Replies

• SazzySuze
    Options
    Make that about one plate of meat with no sauces and one plate with sauces.
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You probably didn't do too bad if you want to be between 50 and 75, but it depends on what was in the sauces. Without actually looking it up and not knowing your serving size I would guess you had about 25 carbs, not including the sauces.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Also depends if the meat was velvetted, or marinated with cornstarch to make it softer.
  • kristenlarkin
    Options
    Also depends if the meat was velvetted, or marinated with cornstarch to make it softer.

True
  • SazzySuze
    Options
    Yeah I really don't know what all was in the sauces. Pepper steak, Mongolian chicken, spicy basil beef... those were the ones with the sauces. And about one big serving spoon each. I stayed away from the sweet ones like sesame chicken. :/ I have my daily target set for 50g but I'll be happy if it was even under 75 today.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Even if you did go over on carbs you did say you made better choices than you used to so that's a big deal on its own. Congrats!
  • kristenlarkin
    Options
    SazzySuze wrote: »
    Yeah I really don't know what all was in the sauces. Pepper steak, Mongolian chicken, spicy basil beef... those were the ones with the sauces. And about one big serving spoon each. I stayed away from the sweet ones like sesame chicken. :/ I have my daily target set for 50g but I'll be happy if it was even under 75 today.

You were probably under 75 and like Stbarber1 said, You are still doing better than you would have before low carb so that is a good thing. Just make sure you don't starve yourself the rest of the day, if you are hungry eat something. There are lots of choices in food with 0 carbs.
  • SazzySuze
    Options
    Thank you all for being so encouraging! My jaw dropped when I found out we were going to a Chinese buffet but I thought surely I could make it work. I don't think my significant other totally grasps how many things have a lot of carbs in them but he's trying to be supportive of me. I may eat some cheese and pepperoni if I get hungry later. Thanks again for all the support.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I think MFP has Chinese dishes or you can google the restaurant menu and nutrition fact if they have it. I haven't been to Chinese place since I started as I'm scared to over carb, I miss sushi. :(
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    itcphotog wrote: »
    I think MFP has Chinese dishes or you can google the restaurant menu and nutrition fact if they have it. I haven't been to Chinese place since I started as I'm scared to over carb, I miss sushi. :(

Have you heard of handrolls? Most places can roll most things as handrolls without the rice.
  • GSD_Mama
    Options
    Nope, but I'll have to ask the chef :)
  • SazzySuze
    edited April 2015
    Options
    itcphotog wrote: »

I tried googling the info and no luck. I'll look harder on MFP and see what I can find. Thanks. :) and I totally understand about being afraid to go there. My heart sunk when we pulled in the parking lot. Whatever harm I did today I'm just going to forgive myself and move on.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I think you did great @SazzySuze. You made the best of the situation and had a good meal. I would think you could put them into mfp and get a rough estimate. I would put the names of the dishes in with the estimated amounts and see what you get. Though it sounds like you stayed within your range. Good job!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Let me recant my previous state ment. I put in Mongolian beef into mfp. One entry said 20 carbs, but didn't give serving size, another was 44 carbs for one cup. You probably did go over if you at a lot like you said. But, like you also said, it's behind you now and you are moving forward! Best to you!
  • erikgoya
    erikgoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    So far as figuring out the nutrition, I just stick with panda express or something well known to sort of "guess" at the carb count. Its hard to guess at the nutrition of a buffet place
  • iam4life
    iam4life Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Chinese food has so many carbs. I always get steamed chicken and broccoli when my family does Chinese. Their sauces are loaded with sugar. But you were aware of making healthier choices (Good job avoiding sesame chicken!), and you can count this as a learning experience and move on. Also, don't be surprised if your carb cravings show up the next day. But press on!
  • SazzySuze
    Options
    Made more poor choices today. He and I have now come to an agreement that we will decide where we are eating before we leave home so I have time to not make rushed decisions and can see if they have something that works for me before we go. No more surprises! I truly hope we're able to stick to that plan. Otherwise I'll be working on goals all week long just to undo all my hard work on the weekends. Learning experiences are stepping stones, I hope. :/
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    SazzySuze wrote: »
    Made more poor choices today. He and I have now come to an agreement that we will decide where we are eating before we leave home so I have time to not make rushed decisions and can see if they have something that works for me before we go. No more surprises! I truly hope we're able to stick to that plan. Otherwise I'll be working on goals all week long just to undo all my hard work on the weekends. Learning experiences are stepping stones, I hope. :/

This is what I do. I decide ahead of time what I'm going to eat from wherever we are going. You'd be surprised how many carbs are in salads at some places....
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've been low carbing for more than 10 years, and the best advice I can give when going out for a meal, is eat your proteins first. :) Fill up on a plateful of meat and then eat the rest. You'll find you get full faster and won't be tempted by the higher carbs and you can find a fairly good piece of meat in just about any restaurant.
  • GSD_Mama
    Options
    Yes, I look at menu of the restaurant we're going to and go from there. If there is meat, then it's a game! Pretty much all steak houses work, some authentic places are more challenging but i make my choices carefully. You don't have to carb up and stress out about going out to eat. Once you plan, it's all fun from there.