Sweeteners (in coffee and diet soda etc)

Options
Hi Guys, I'm very new to Keto (10 pounds in 18 days) and been checking out this forum (lovely people btw) and I have a v quick question. Sweeteners in coffee/tea and diet drinks (coke/pepsi etc). did any of you find to slows down your weight loss? I would be very interested in hearing your experiences.

Replies

• GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I don't drink soda and don't add any sweeteners to my tea or coffee, but from what I've learned sweetener can cause more sweet craving. Some people can do well and some don't. You probably should keep track of it and see how you feel :)
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I don't drink much pop and don't drink coffee at all, but I love chrystal light which has sweeteners in it and it hasn't stalled me or made me crave anything sweet. Everyone is different though. I know a lot of people like bullet proof coffee so that might be something you want to look into. I believe it is coffee coconut oil and butter, but I'm not 100% sure. If you google it, the recipe will come up
  • spush
    spush Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have heard sweeteners stall, I avoid them mostly, but on the odd occasion I have a diet coke or add some splenda to mascapone cheese I've been ok. Lol, not much help I guess.
    Well done on the great starting loss
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I think this is a case of YMMV.... Your Milage May Varry... For me I cut out soda, but not coffee... Yes I put Truvia in it... No it has not slowed down my losses at all... That I can tell. My recomendation is try it... Then try it without.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I find sweeteners (carbs where real or fake) are negative in my case.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I have tried to give up diet coke but failed. It doesn't SEEM to affect weight loss, but I could be wrong. I have used stevia, it's OK but in v small amounts. I did make a cheesecake with xylitol and it was great!
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I've read mixed opinions on artificial sweeteners. When I followed a non low carb diet in the past, I drank tons of diet pop, and it didn't stall my weight loss. I drink diet pop once a week now, but I do add sweet n low to my coffee, and the sugar free favors to my water. I don't crave sweets, and it doesn't seem to have slowed down my progress.
  • bikerchick2012
    bikerchick2012 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you Guys!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I find that diet sodas make me crave more sugar, but the stevia I use in my tea and sometimes in fat bombs does not generally make me crave more - unless I'm having it with heavy cream like in a mousse, without something more substantial to balance it...and I think that's more about the substantiating nature, etc.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I have equal in my coffee and like coke zero. Doesn't stall my weightloss at all.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    That tea is bullet proof tea (double strength tea with coconut oil and heavy cream and 1 packet of stevia to 12-16 oz of tea)...
  • moonius
    moonius Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I gave up sugar last year and this year I gave up AS and stevia. No longer do I have a sweet tooth!