Struggling with pre-op lifestyle changes

Options
dragonflies6
dragonflies6 Posts: 52 Member
Hello everyone!
I have been going my gastric surgery classes in preparation for surgery and how things will be after surgery. I am taking the classes with my husband because he is planning surgery as well. I have been doing pretty good with my food choices and have steadily lost weight and if I gain its no more than 2 pounds. But this past week I have just been horrible about my food choices. How have you handled this issues before surgery and were cravings better after surgery?

Replies

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    For me I just kept my eyes on the prize. I knew it was only a matter of weeks before surgery so I tried to stay steady with avoiding added sugars and bad carbs. And I started MOVING a lot more. After the surgery it's "easier" because quite simply you can't eat as much. Your cravings will pretty much disappear... in the short term. But they'll be back. Nobody is perfect so if you have a bad day (or week) shake it off and get right back to doing the right things.

Do you know about how long until your surgery?
  • dragonflies6
    dragonflies6 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I will not have surgery until the end of July. My husband and I will finish our class the end of May, he will have surgery first at the end of June and then I'll go a month later.
  • IslandSneezerooo
    IslandSneezerooo Posts: 268 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Boy can I relate! I don't have a surgery date yet and they told me it will be around a year from when I was referred (last November) so I have a long time ahead of me to try and stay focused... plus I have the added "bonus" of PCOS hormonal roller-coaster, wreaking havoc on my good intentions with cravings and hunger... good times! My strategy is to just keep moving forward. I'm not perfect, but all the good days do add up over time...
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    It's good to start making changes now, but the truth is you'll lose weight on the pre-op liquid diet and will fully comply after surgery - so don't beat yourself up at this point, you'll be fine. That said, every pound you lose now is one you won't have to lose later.
  • april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I struggled mightily with the pre-op diet. I lost and gained the same 7 pounds during my 3 months of supervised nutritionist visits. I did lose 13 pounds during my 2 weeks of liquids right before surgery, but I struggled with that as well (as in, ate a steak dinner 3 days before surgery).

For me, surgery day was the line drawn in the sand. The post-op diet has been relatively easy for me - but I don't often test the waters and stay 99% on plan. It's when you start adding things back in, particularly simple carbs, that you start down the slippery slope to bad habits.

I don't recommend you do as I did pre-op, but, in my experience, your pre-op ability to stick to the program does not necessarily predict your potential post-op success.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    april731 wrote: »
    your pre-op ability to stick to the program does not necessarily predict your potential post-op success.

This is so true! Yes, every change you make prior to surgery will make the post-op lifestyle changes easier, but following the pre-op plan to the "t" or not doesn't affect your success rate.

I didn't have the same pre-op program you did. I had 2 weeks of a pre-op plan with the last 3-4 days liquid only. You will most likely find that your tastes change after surgery and I think that goes a long way towards making these WLSs successful. I have cut out food completely that I know are triggers for me. Some can go back and do the "everything in moderation" route. I can't and I know it. So I just never added those foods back into my life. I don't miss or crave them either. Maybe it's the change in my tastes or maybe it's because it was my decision not to eat them again rather than some plan I was on saying I couldn't have them. Either way, you will probably find that as long as you don't add your trigger foods back in, you probably won't have those cravings.
  • JudiMoving2
    JudiMoving2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have struggled also during this pre-op time. I am scheduled for surgery May 27th. It seems a pattern that I follow each month, I do well for about 10 days and then bad for 3, then back to good. I have done this for the last five months. The good news is that I actually have lost some weight during this time. Not a lot but my good days are outweighing my bad so I am in the right direction. The bad days always start with cravings, and I give in thinking that I will not be able to eat this after surgery, and then crash... I am eating wrong for a day or two. I worry about the ability to work with these cravings after the "honeymoon" period of WLS. I normally like to keep myself busy or go out and walk/garden/shop anything to get away from the food in the refrigerator, on my bad days, I am tired, feeling deprived and I stare the refrigerator like it is a television set! :smile:
  • april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    @JudiMoving2 that's very normal to give in to the "I'm never going to be able to eat this again" fear and cravings. I have found that cravings post-op are way less intense than before. Also, cravings honestly won't kill you.

Here's an example for me: Every couple of weeks I find myself craving chocolate chip cookies (Not coincidentally, it's usually during "that" time of the month). I have tried to substitute them with sugar free/grain free ingredients with rather blah results. I've looked at nutritional information and I just can't justify 50+g of carbs for one cookie (and eating a piece of a cookie just isn't worth it to me either).

So, I just don't eat them. Why not just eat one since it's a rare occurrence? Because that's not how I operate and I know it. I'll eat that one cookie and not be able to stop thinking about it until I eat another one. But, if I just let the craving pass, and it will because I don't feed that sugar beast, it'll be another few weeks before I even think about chocolate chip cookies again. And then I get my Starbucks iced coffee with cream and Splenda and all is right with the world. ;)

Try not to stress too much about this, which, I know, is a lot easier said than done. Some of the greatest gifts surgery has given me, and I hope you will experience something similar, are less feelings of desperation and lack of control when it comes to food. But, like @pawoodhull said, where people seem to get back into those old patterns is reintroducing trigger foods.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Great posts and advice here. I have done well during my pre-op and have shed 40lbs, but like @april731 I am an all or nothing girl so I need to self-talk during those cravings and find a substitute. If I am having a weak moment I take a deep breath, drink 8oz of water and think about the success I will feel when I put my head on my pillow at night. It isn't always easy but learning these skills now will really help us after surgery. I am scheduled for June 15th and I'm really excited about getting on the other side of it so I can get on with my life. Good luck. Lots of support here which is just great!
  • cheekitty
    cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You might find too that something else that's 'safe' and on plan satisfies your cravings. Pre surgery, I would have rolled my eyes at the idea that a sugar free fudgecicle would satisfy my sweet cravings, but it seriously does (coupled with a handful of strawberries).

I'm two months out, and save for the odd piece of dark chocolate (100%, fits within my carb/calorie goals for the day), I've been absolutely fine and I was a sugar fiend pre-surgery.
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yeah, post-op is totally different. The only thing I crave is diet soda. I haven't really been hungry at all in over a month. I have to force myself to eat, whereas before I had to force myself to not think about food. Presurgery my protein shakes tasted like delicious chocolate milk and I could probably have had 3 or 4 of them in one siting. Now I really have to work to even get one down, and I usually have to stop at 2/3. Your habits and desires just totally flip around.
  • lowcountrygal75
    lowcountrygal75 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have had no cravings at all since my surgery in January. I also have a totally different mindset after going through gastric By-Pass. As far as eating prior to, I didn't follow the plan exactly. I left myself some "wiggle room" because I know that I would not be eating most of the things I was eating after surgery. Now, I would not dare touch food that are not on the plan. Looking in the mirror and seeing the results of all my hard work is so much better than the taste of those forbidden foods that got me to the point I was in the first place.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    The pre op phase is to prepare you for life post op. Many think it is "making people jump through the hoops" to get approval for WLS but it really is to prepare you. Remember, the surgery is on the stomach and not your head. So dealing with the head hunger issues pre op is very important. I basically did everything my WLS program told me to do since I wanted to get team approval so they would send in my insurance paperwork for wls approval. Life does happen pre op and post op. There will be good days and there will be bad days. Tomorrow is another day. Best thing to do is to log all foods you eat here on MFP, the good and the bad so you are accountable to your self.
    Good luck!
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    dragonflies6 - One thing you have to your advantage is your husband will be on the journey with you. You and he can support each other 'if' you have a craving for something that might not be on the plan. I'm nearly 3 months out and I haven't had any cravings for foods that don't add value. I was a chip, bread, and pasta girl. I know what my downfall is so I don't buy chips. I know if I bring them home I would eat them craving or not. I have not had any pasta. I am allowed 1/2 slice of whole wheat bread and a serving of 3 saltine crackers. I opted for the crackers because of the shelf life (I hate throwing out food) and I don't like frozen defrosted bread.

Prior to surgery I cleaned the pantry and freezer to remove temptation from the house. If I don't have it I can't eat it. I always eat before I to shopping and I stick to the list. I do walk the chip isle to prove to myself I don't need them. Before going to a restaurant I pull up the menu on line and write down what I'm going to eat. At the restaurant I tell them I don't need a menu I know what I want. That eliminates the tempting pictures that might sway me away from my earlier decision.

Congratulations on your start, you'll do well.