Acid Reflux

Options
MissMissie1987
MissMissie1987 Posts: 72 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
I am having terrible reflux during the night and I wake up to a huge sore throat and begin to cough. I already take a prescription omeperazole once a day. I would hope that I could find a remedy to fix this issue before I talk to the doctor. Someone mentioned bananas and I tried that but with my sore throat from the reflux so bad I couldn't tell if it worked. Any suggestions? I go to my doctor at the end of the month so I will talk to her then. Thanks for the advice. :)

Replies

• CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Did you have the sleeve? My surgeon said those that have the sleeve are very apt to develop GERD/acid reflux. And those that had it prior to their surgery could get worse afterward. You will want to discuss with your surgeon for sure. Why wait till your appointment? Call them and let them know. Maybe they can help right away.
  • cheekitty
    cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Seconding the suggestion not to wait. Give your surgeon's office a call. They may have a different medication for you.
  • LunaGuido
    LunaGuido Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Agree about calling the surgeon, but in the interim, try propping yourself up on a bunch of pillows. If you can sleep in more of a reclining position, rather than flat, it can sometimes help with the reflux. Good luck!
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'd do both, call your dr asap and sleep in an inclined position. Do you have a recliner you can sleep in instead of a bed till you hear from your dr?
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    This happened to me (6 weeks out from sleeve). I actually threw up in my sleep and aspirated a bit of acid into my lungs - not good! I doubled up on the prilosec, taking one every 12 hours for about 3-4 days and then went back to once a day. I have to be very careful to take it at the same time each day or I have issues. So far I've been able to stay at once per day but I am going to talk to my surgeon at my 3-month.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve and have had refulux for decades. There area couple of things you can try immediately to help. One, do not eat within an hour or two before you go to bed. My normal bedtime is 10 so I do not eat past 8. Any later and I will wake in the middle of the night just like you. The other thing is try taking your omeperozale later in the day, so you've got the strongest control of the reflux during the night. If these changes don't work, don't wait to talk to the doctor. If they do, tell your doctor this at your next visit.
  • MissMissie1987
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have a theory that it may be the caffiene I just started recently drinking. I bought the energy MIO flavoring for the water and I didn't realize that it had caffiene in it. I stopped taking using it and I will now see how I am affected by it. I will call my doctor tomorrow if it is not better tonight. This is just unbearable, I went out in the middle of the night to pick up tums and zantac....that only helped for an hour. Sleeping on an incline doesn't help. I have coughing fits during the day because I can feel the acid creep up :( Thank you every one again!
  • Bugged53
    Bugged53 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was told to take two Preceds (spelling), the 24 hour ones. One in am and one in pm. I can tell if I forget one.
  • MissMissie1987
    Options
    Update: COme to find out it was not acid reflux at all. I just had horrible post nasal drip that caused my sore throat. Thank you everyone that responded to me. Have a good day!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I had GERD or acid reflux before WLS and after some but my WLS surgeon told me people would sleeve would have acid reflux. But when they did my sleeve they found a hital hernia and fixed it and I really had no acid reflux post op or since then. They can give you a acid reflux rx for it that helps. You can buy them over the counter too, Prevecid, Prilosec are two brands that OTC. I think since I can't eat and drink at the same time now and along w taking smaller bites of food and having to chew it better also is why I don't have GERD/Acid reflux anymore.
    Good luck!