First half marathon in 3 weeks - any tips?!

Options
fall_away
fall_away Posts: 7 Member
Hello! This is my first ever post on MyFitnessPal :) I am about to do my first half marathon in three weeks time and am wondering if anyone can share any tips with me for the big day?! I'm feeling quite nervous about doing it (the longest race I have done before is a 10k).
Any help much appreciated! x

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Half-mar advice: First, trust your training! You put in the time and effort, so on race day, just reap the rewards. Second, don't have a rigid time goal in place. Now matter what, it will be a PR, so enjoy the experience and know that your second race will be an opportunity to better your own performance. Third, don't try anything new! You might be tempted by the gel packets, Gatorade and fruits they may be handing out, but if you haven't tried it during training, don't tempt the fates with it during the race. The last thing you want is stomach cramps at mile 11 (*ahem* Gatorade at mile 10 during my first half *ahem*)!

Good luck with the last bit of training and your taper! Let us know how the race turned out!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    What Kristine said. And trust in your training.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Don't go out too fast! I'm sure you've heard this a million times but it's so easy to get caught up in the excitement and go out at a faster pace than you're used to (you'll even feel great in the moment). Slow down or you'll really regret it later.

Good luck :)
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I agree...don't go out too fast. Don't experiment with new foods the day before.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Welcome! Have a good night sleep before the race. Eat something in the morning, but not too close to the race. Use the toilet...run in proper shoes, but not brand new ones. Don't train hard the last days before the race. Smile for the cameras and greet bystanders. Say thank you to all the volunteers, including police! ...and all of the above!

I have two halfs in the next four weeks and just did a 10k last weekend...you can get addicted!
    Stef.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Go slow is what I've been told
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I did my first half a couple weeks ago and I agree up above, don't do anything that day you didn't do before. I even trained carrying a water bottle to make sure it wouldn't annoy me during the race. Get lots of rest before the race and like other said trust your training. If they have pacers, use them. It made it so nice to have to think about pace I stayed either behind or near my pace group the whole time. Enjoy the race and smile when you see a camera :-)
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Running with the pacers to start will help with the temptation to run too fast because it feels good to run in that race environment. The half-marathon is just long enough that going out too fast can cost you at the end.

All the other advice above is good. It boils down to trust your training and never do something new on race day that you've not done or worn before. A friend of mine, who always runs with compression shorts because the lycra helps cut down on chafing, didn't on one half-marathon she ran. She never trained without them and she found out her inner thighs do rub together and without body glide, she was pretty raw at the end of two and a half hours.

Don't wear something new and unwashed on race day. If you haven't washed it and haven't worn it before race day in a training run, I don't recommend wearing it (that includes the race t-shirt). Save the shirt for your completion of the race.

I found out the hard way that tech shirts and rain can be very hard on men's nipples (and the few women who run braless). Even though I'd run in the summer with tech shirts in a fair amount of sweat, rain soaked the shirt and that soaking wet shirt was something I had not trained in or anticipated. Can you say "sandpaper?" I was running a marathon that day and still had 15 miles to go when I checked in to the medical tent for a little first aid.

Have a good time and smile for the cameras. It'll keep everyone guessing.
  • fall_away
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice everyone! Feeling much more confident :# Love the comment about the 'sandpaper', I'll make sure I have a solid bra on that day :D I am now SO excited to run my first 13.1 miles and can hardly wait to tell everyone how I get on!

Thanks again!xxx
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    fall_away wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the advice everyone! Feeling much more confident :# Love the comment about the 'sandpaper', I'll make sure I have a solid bra on that day :D I am now SO excited to run my first 13.1 miles and can hardly wait to tell everyone how I get on!

Thanks again!xxx

Oh yeah, the sandpaper can be real! If you haven't gone 13 before you'll probably discover some new places you will chafe. That seems to happen for me right around HM distance so if you suspect it'll happen anywhere, definitely consider putting some BodyGlide on before you start. Good luck and have fun!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    1- body glide...invest invest invest! I even put body glide on my feet.
    2- don't eat a giant pasta meal the night before. Everyone always says "carb load!" Don't fall for it. My week leading up is when I am eating brown rice, couscous or quinoa and 4 oz of meat. I don't ever eat the giant pasta meals that places offer.
    3- Plan your race and race your plan. One of the worst experiences I had was going out to fast and I hit the wall and the last part of the race was horrible.
    4- Post race gear check bag I always put flip flops. My feet just want out of those running shoes after that long.
    5- Bring a trash bag for in the morning while you wait until the race starts (if it will be chilly) also include a light weight shirt of jacket in your gear check bag. I always get cold not matter the temps after a race.
    6-ENJOY!!! Make sure you smile for the cameras! :smiley:
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Great post! I'm running my first 1/2 June 7th. Love the hints about the flip flops and the trash bags :)
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Bring some toilet paper just in case the portapotties at the start have run out. That is my only race tip, but it never stops being important. :)
  • fall_away
    Options
    Oh my gosh I didn't even think about loo roll! Or flip flops!!! I haven't heard f Body Glide but I've been using Vaseline on my feet and any other places my clothes have been chafing - good substitute or should I get Body Glide?!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Vaseline is fine, and cheaper. The only place it's less than effective for me is under my HRM strap. I have a perpetual scuff across my sternum where it's abraded.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Vaseline is fine, and cheaper. The only place it's less than effective for me is under my HRM strap. I have a perpetual scuff across my sternum where it's abraded.

I finally quit wearing my HRM last summer. Nothing worked no matter how diligent I was when it was 85 and 85% humidity. I still have a fading scar from the damage it did.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    fall_away wrote: »
    Oh my gosh I didn't even think about loo roll! Or flip flops!!! I haven't heard f Body Glide but I've been using Vaseline on my feet and any other places my clothes have been chafing - good substitute or should I get Body Glide?!

I used to use BG and switched to Vaseline. I think Vaseline lasts longer, is more effective, and cheaper. A tub lasts ages!

litsy3 wrote: »
    Bring some toilet paper just in case the portapotties at the start have run out. That is my only race tip, but it never stops being important. :)

YES! I had a very close call at my HM this weekend and will definitely remember this for my next race!
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options

YES! I had a very close call at my HM this weekend and will definitely remember this for my next race!

Haha, I've only actually used the spare toilet paper about twice and I've done loads of races, but better safe than sorry...
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Haha, I've only actually used the spare toilet paper about twice and I've done loads of races, but better safe than sorry...

Ha. Thought I was the only one. I keep a spare stash in my gym bag. I always put a small supply in the key pocket of my running shorts. Because, you know, emergencies happen.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Oh yeah I have some spare TP with me all of the time. Just in case. No need is trying to use anything else. I will also carry feminine product in my pouch just in case. Sorry for TMI but I learned that lesson the hard way.