Medical Information & Resources

Options
BRaye325
BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
I am creating this discussion as a location for all of us to share what we've learned about some of our common medical problems. Hopefully we can make it a place we can all use as a reference and have discussions to help each other learn more about them.
The only caution is that we want to refrain from giving medical advice (unless your an M.D.) Please post links when possible to reputable sources.

Replies

• BRaye325
    Options
    Obesity & Body Mass Index (BMI)

Obesity has such a negative connotation, but I guess it should.
    Before I started on my fitness plan last year, I'm not sure if I would have called myself OBESE - overweight sure, extremely overweight maybe, but not OBESE.
    Well after 8 months of this, I've learned that not only was I the definition of obese, I was morbidly obese.
    BMI is considered by some to be an 'outdated' scale, however I now think differently. When I first started I put it in my goal plans, but then I heard such negative information on it that I removed it. After more research, I put it back into my plan and think it is a valuable health assessment tool. Many doctors, including mine, use it as a means to evaluate their patients.
    The basics is this, it classifies each individual based on height into one of these categories:
    1) Underweight BMI = less than 19
    2) Healthy BMI = 19 to 24.9
    3) Overweight BMI = 25 to 29.9 Increased risk for medical problems
    4) Obese Class 1 BMI = 30 to 34.9 Moderately Obese - high risk
    5) Obese Class 2 BMI = 35 to 39.9 Severely obese
    6) Obese Class 3 BMI = 40 to 44.9 Morbidly obese - extremely high risk
    7) Obese Class 4 BMI = greater than 45 Super obese

If you don't know your BMI, you can calculate it here on MFP:
    Go to the main menu, select Apps, and then BMI or
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmi-calculator

Instead of getting myself down about such a negative label, I choose to use it as motivation to turn my fitness around. So while I'm still considered obese, I moved down from Class 3 to Class 1 and I'm currently 23 pounds from the overweight category and 60 pounds from healthy.

Obesity is a very serious crisis infecting our country and the better educated we all become on what it is and how to prevent it in ourselves and our children, the stronger we will be.

Here are some resources if you want to learn more:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/obesity/basics/definition/con-20014834

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Thanku BRaye325 for such an interesting blog.. I just checked my BMI & it's 32.7
    I really need to get my act together..
  • BRaye325
    Options
    Yes, mine was 44.1 when I started and now it's 33.0 so we are right about the same place.
  • BRaye325
    Options
    Is anyone here familiar with Bariatric Surgery?
    I just found out my sister is having gastric sleeve surgery and I know very little about it.
  • BRaye325
    Options
    Cholesterol

The screening test that is usually performed is a blood test called a lipid profile. Experts recommend that men ages 35 and older and women ages 45 and older be more frequently screened for lipid disorders. The lipoprotein profile includes:

Total blood (or serum) cholesterol
    Your total cholesterol score is calculated using the following equation: HDL + LDL + 20 percent of your triglyceride level. A total cholesterol score of less than 180 mg/dL is considered optimal.

HDL (good) cholesterol
    With HDL cholesterol, higher levels are better. Low HDL cholesterol puts you at higher risk for heart disease. People with high blood triglycerides usually also have lower HDL cholesterol. Genetic factors, type 2 diabetes, and certain drugs, such as beta-blockers and anabolic steroids, also lower HDL cholesterol levels. Smoking, being overweight and being sedentary can all result in lower HDL cholesterol.

LDL (bad) cholesterol
    A low LDL cholesterol level is considered good for your heart health. However, your LDL number should no longer be the main factor in guiding treatment to prevent heart attack and stroke, according to new guidelines from the American Heart Association. For patients taking statins, the guidelines say they no longer need to get LDL cholesterol levels down to a specific target number. A diet high in saturated and trans fats raises LDL cholesterol.

Triglycerides
    Triglyceride is the most common type of fat in the body. Normal triglyceride levels vary by age and sex. A high triglyceride level combined with low HDL cholesterol or high LDL cholesterol is associated with atherosclerosis, the buildup of fatty deposits in artery walls that increases the risk for heart attack and stroke

Results of your blood test will come in the forms of numbers. Here is how to interpret your cholesterol numbers. The first thing you need to know is that the numbers by themselves are not enough to predict your risk of heart problems or to determine what you need to do to lower that risk. They are, instead, one part of a larger equation that includes your age, your blood pressure, your smoking status, and your use of blood pressure medicines. Your doctor will use this information to calculate your 10-year risk for serious heart problems. Then the two of you will develop a strategy for reducing that risk.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/AboutCholesterol/What-Your-Cholesterol-Levels-Mean_UCM_305562_Article.jsp

http://www.mayoclinic.org/vid-20078243

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/guide/understanding-numbers
  • lynnstacey2
    lynnstacey2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think the sleeve is the safest of the three options for bariatric surgery. Instead of cutting and rewiring your insides, the doctors just put something around the stomach to make it much smaller, similar to the band but without some of the slippage problems and none of the nutrient deprivation of the rouen-Y which can have some very nasty side effects for some people, trouble being, who ever thinks they are going to be the ones with the trouble?? Your sister will still have to stick to a strict diet and learn to move more but sometimes people need a little something more to get them to eat less than "just do it".
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I hope your sister will do well with this surgery.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Apparently my BMI is 21, so ok. Before I started, My cholesterol was pretty high, well over 200, with better diet and exercise it is 166. I also have Hashimoto's disease. My thyroid is pretty well shot. I take meds for it, before it was discovered losing weight was a nightmare. Now while not easy, it is doable.

I hope your sister does well. I have a couple relative and numerous patients that have had different bariatric surgeries. Most didn't learn to eat properly and have gained most or all of what they lost back. A few others. who did their homework are doing brilliantly.
  • BRaye325
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    Apparently my BMI is 21, so ok. Before I started, My cholesterol was pretty high, well over 200, with better diet and exercise it is 166. I also have Hashimoto's disease. My thyroid is pretty well shot. I take meds for it, before it was discovered losing weight was a nightmare. Now while not easy, it is doable.

I hope your sister does well. I have a couple relative and numerous patients that have had different bariatric surgeries. Most didn't learn to eat properly and have gained most or all of what they lost back. A few others. who did their homework are doing brilliantly.

Wow a BMI of 21 awesome! What is Hashimoto's disease, I've never heard of it?

My sister is doing pretty good so far. However I am truly concerned if she is mentally committed, has realistic expectations and a longterm understanding of the path she's taking. That type of surgery is certainly not something I would choose, but we all need to find our own path.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disease that basically is your own body destroying your thyroid. I may have to have it taken out some day, but until them I want to get what use I can out of it. I go every 4-6 months for blood tests to check my thyroid hormone levels. Then they adjust the med that I take for it.

Really hope your sister mentally prepares for this. It is a tough journey under the best of circumstances.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I have two friends who did gastric bypass. One is rigidly compliant in both diet and exercise and has done extremely well. It isn't easy to maintain this lifestyle but she is committed. Another friend suffered from some post op complications and, frankly, I don't think she ever got a good handle on the lifestyle changes necessary. I think without following instructions and doing what you're supposed to you will fail, just like at any other diet. The surgeries are not magic. While they provide a tool to get you where you want to go, there is a lot of effort required to finish the job. I hope your sister is a success story.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    My sister in law had that surgery in November. She has lost 55 pounds and probably has another 55 to go. She is doing well, educating herself,and taking it slow and steady.