Replies

• tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    oh, and avocado. 1/2-1 a day
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Another thing that can help stimulate the bowels is caffeine... but just a quick walk around the block works better. I have a feeling caffeine is on the no-no list with your suppositories, @radiii‌
  • vanhavely
    vanhavely Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My morning BPC has been working just fine for me. Only a few days here and there with constipation. Usually a good fat bomb before bed clears that up.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    - See a big word? DO search it, no adult needs to thump the person helping by insisting they spoonfeed you….no excuses!….ah, bother reading to the end of the helpful post?..Eee the info graciously provided? Good.

For 15 years... in the age of instant information anytime of day I've watched someone share something useful in a group (ANY type of group..this is universal) ...and invariably (means "always") another person sends a 2 word email " What's X?" instead of making any effort at all to just type "X" into the search engine. While there are unlimited electrons willing to work forever, storing miles of pages of such emails is wasteful for any server farm.

Thank you! I see people do this on an hourly basis and it always has me scratching my head. If someone can take the time to ask another person to define something, they can just as easily google that same something and find pages and pages of clarification. That helps promote accuracy of comprehension, too, if it's something like a medical condition that can be researched via a legit medical site vs. a layperson's potentially sketchy rendition.
  • zoom2
    Options
    radiii wrote: »
    3) Get some exercise in the morning. Exercise stimulates things to move. Talk to any runner, google "Runner's trots"

4) Drink something hot in the morning. Hot liquid can stimulate things to move.

Coffee makes me poop so that I don't fill my pants or have to duck into the woods in the middle of a run. I have to get up extra early on race days to "clean house," which is tough...so not a morning person! :p
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    More than you ever wnated to know about pooping to follow, seriously, if you're not interested, skip this:
    DittoDan wrote: »
    At some point when I get more weight off, I will start exercising again...

Appropriate level exercise for you should help here, not hurt. Ok, so lets go above and beyond the squatty potty here, since I literally just did this two months ago in physical therapy (and i'm not directing this AT you Dan, just using this quote as a jumping point to talk about this)

What I'm descirbing won't work for everyone, if you have a legit digestive disorder, if you have IBS, maybe one of 100 other things, maybe this won't work perfectly for you.

<snip>

But I can tell you all that I, very recently, as part of spending literally thousands of dollars on therapy (copays plus other major changes I chose to make at home to improve things like a standing desk, etc, to get me off my *kitten*), I drastically changed these things and its an honest to god quality of life improvement. So there you go, do with this what you will :)

What a great post! Thank you Radiii... I'll have to print this out and read it when I'm on the pot ~ constipated. That way it will impress upon me to change my ways.... :D

Dan the Man from Michigan
    My Blog: It's Ketogenic or Bariatric (How I found the Ketogenic Diet)

P.S. I have only drunk about 10 cups of coffee in my life, and that was when I was child. I don't like the smell of it. It looks like a good laxative though.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I have a feeling caffeine is on the no-no list with your suppositories, @radiii‌

Caffeine is a personal no-no for me because it can be a bladder irritant for folks with issues there. Also I spent about 15 years completely addicted to full sugar/caffeine Dr Pepper, so I just choose to stay away(even though I 100% know the sugar in those drinks was my biggest problem, I still tend to associate them together). There seems to be lots of stuff talking about caffeine having benefits it seems though, as long as its not impacting the sleep or whatever.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    zoom2 wrote: »
    - See a big word? DO search it, no adult needs to thump the person helping by insisting they spoonfeed you….no excuses!….ah, bother reading to the end of the helpful post?..Eee the info graciously provided? Good.

For 15 years... in the age of instant information anytime of day I've watched someone share something useful in a group (ANY type of group..this is universal) ...and invariably (means "always") another person sends a 2 word email " What's X?" instead of making any effort at all to just type "X" into the search engine. While there are unlimited electrons willing to work forever, storing miles of pages of such emails is wasteful for any server farm.

Thank you! I see people do this on an hourly basis and it always has me scratching my head. If someone can take the time to ask another person to define something, they can just as easily google that same something and find pages and pages of clarification. That helps promote accuracy of comprehension, too, if it's something like a medical condition that can be researched via a legit medical site vs. a layperson's potentially sketchy rendition.

@zoom2 And there is a total difference in, "I read this, looked it up, but I still don't understand point B. Can someone elaborate?" :)
  • zoom2
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    zoom2 wrote: »

@zoom2 And there is a total difference in, "I read this, looked it up, but I still don't understand point B. Can someone elaborate?" :)

Yup. It kind of reminds me of the people who after any snowfall ask "is there a snow day, today?" on FB, rather than simply checking any of the local news sites' cancellations listings or registering for instant e-mail/text notifications for their district via these same sites or their school in question. In the time it took them to ask (on one local board a dozen or more people would come in and ask, not even taking the time to see if anyone had asked previously -- people who don't know how to internet, heh) they could have simply done a teensy bit of research.
  • Lil14U
    Lil14U Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I tried adding the psyllium husk to my beef goulash, BIG mistake the whole lot had the texture of snot even the dogs took their time to eat it.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Lil14U wrote: »
    I tried adding the psyllium husk to my beef goulash, BIG mistake the whole lot had the texture of snot even the dogs took their time to eat it.

LOL! That is so funny! I can relate to that...!

Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
    LCHF is the XXXX (A funny animated explantion of the Keto WOE)
  • Astharteea
    Astharteea Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I also drink Senna based teas twice a week. It works and I like the fact that the bloat goes with it. You can find these teas at the Asian food stores. Give it a try, see if it works for you. efscy03k74xm.jpg
  • stevieedge2015
    stevieedge2015 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Oh god I bought psyllium husk capsules today to try to get things moving along after reading this thread...I'm now in bits with crampy stomach pain. Has anyone else had this reaction? Just curled up with a hot water bottle waiting for it to pass... :'(
  • DittoDan
    Options
    I just saw Squatty Potty on the TV show " Shark Tank". Pretty interesting.

• Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    I know the Squatty Potty sounds weird, but after using it you will swear by it.
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    The husk actually made my constipation worse no matter how much water I drank. TMI my stools were hard and painful. I drink smooth move tea about once a week and it gets things moving . They have chocolate flavor , regular flavor and regular flavor.
    It's an organic tea
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My personal experience is that this "situation" is almost always due to eating too much protein and not enough fat while doing keto. If you're keeping your fat level up to at least 80% and your protein under 20% then you should never run into this problem. I always had this problem until I learned how to get my macros correct.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Fiber is a recommendation, but all of us low carbers already know about this. I am currently still using chia seeds to get fiber, I expect to stop this at some point to experiement and see if I need it or not.

I made a post earlier on this page, a very long one, on all of the steps I took, with a huge amount of help from my pelvic floor physical therapist, to fix probles I'd had my entire adult life in this arena, but I was still getting 25g+ fiber a day, in part b/c it was working, in part because while I was in physical therapy the goal was simply to establish a baseline set of habits I could follow (while still remaining on keto, of course) to get my bathroom problems fixed, then I could always go back to those if I needed but could experiment and figure out how strict I needed to be with some things.

Apparently its a common problem that when physical therapy ends and you aren't having a "check-in" every week with your therapist, to allow old habits to creep back in. That definitely happened with me. I was getting the fiber still but had slacked off on many of the other habits I'd learned and a few weeks ago I started having some fairly large constipation problems. So I decided to refocus on the list of things I had learned, but this time, without the fiber to see what would happen.

For the last ~10 days or so I've been constipation free with no fiber, or whatever little fiber I'm getting from eating some strawberries for dessert, certainly not a huge amount. Definitely a first for me, and a good lesson for me in remembering all the things I learned in PT and actually doing them :pensive:

I still don't see anything wrong w/ fiber for those who it helps, or those who have a routine involving it, and there are all kinds of digestive issues for different people, so what worked for me may not work for everyone, but since a lot of people here (myself included) like to experiment, I figured this was worth a followup post and bringing this old thread back :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Fiber is a recommendation, but all of us low carbers already know about this. I am currently still using chia seeds to get fiber, I expect to stop this at some point to experiement and see if I need it or not.

I made a post earlier on this page, a very long one, on all of the steps I took, with a huge amount of help from my pelvic floor physical therapist, to fix probles I'd had my entire adult life in this arena, but I was still getting 25g+ fiber a day, in part b/c it was working, in part because while I was in physical therapy the goal was simply to establish a baseline set of habits I could follow (while still remaining on keto, of course) to get my bathroom problems fixed, then I could always go back to those if I needed but could experiment and figure out how strict I needed to be with some things.

Apparently its a common problem that when physical therapy ends and you aren't having a "check-in" every week with your therapist, to allow old habits to creep back in. That definitely happened with me. I was getting the fiber still but had slacked off on many of the other habits I'd learned and a few weeks ago I started having some fairly large constipation problems. So I decided to refocus on the list of things I had learned, but this time, without the fiber to see what would happen.

For the last ~10 days or so I've been constipation free with no fiber, or whatever little fiber I'm getting from eating some strawberries for dessert, certainly not a huge amount. Definitely a first for me, and a good lesson for me in remembering all the things I learned in PT and actually doing them :pensive:

I still don't see anything wrong w/ fiber for those who it helps, or those who have a routine involving it, and there are all kinds of digestive issues for different people, so what worked for me may not work for everyone, but since a lot of people here (myself included) like to experiment, I figured this was worth a followup post and bringing this old thread back :)

That's such a great set of news and updates and reminders. Thanks!
  • fitter_happier94
    fitter_happier94 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I know I'm (really) late to the party here, but for anyone looking in this thread for future ref RE your original question about psyllium husks, you can buy capsule versions (I use them religiously). Sorry if anyone else has said this, I'm a bit sleepy :blush: