Nuts... Yes or No?

Options
Jbarnes1210
Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
Just wondering about adding almonds or other nuts to my diet. Has anyone added almonds or some other form of nuts to their diet? Did it effect weight loss?

Replies

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    It can, depending on how you handle them. If you can eat one serving, which is small, or if they are a binge food for you. Some can, others can't handle them. It is individual.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Nuts are my main snack and one of my bigger carb sources. Almonds are supposedly highly satiating.

Good discussion here:
    http://caloriesproper.com/good-calories/
    ... in 3 out of 4 of the conditions, the almonds were so satiating that the participants actually ended up eating fewer overall calories.

In terms of weight loss, I can't tell you because I never stopped eating them. Be careful with salted nuts just because they're more addictive.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I eat cashew nuts often. Love em! Around 15 grams a time along with something else so it's more satisfying.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Yeah I added almonds in last week. I haven't noticed it affecting my weight loss at all, I love the crunchiness as a snack. I portion then into a small bag by weight so I don't overeat.
  • spush
    spush Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I had pecans as a snack last week and lost 3lbs. I portioned a big bag in 50g portions. Plus shared a few so at less.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I love nuts and seeds.... especially on salads. They add a great crunch!
    On their own, I tend to only really eat them when I'm exercising a lot because they are pretty calorie dense -they're the perfect snack for a 3-4 hour hike!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I do eat nuts if I'm hungry as a snack. Some of them you do need to watch the carbs on eg cashew nuts.

If the nuts are salty, I tend to eat more of them, so need to watch that. In fact, I could binge on them, so have to try and not keep the lovely roasted, salted nuts in the house...
  • Jbarnes1210
    Options
    Thanks for the input, I've been wanting to add mainly almonds back into my diet, but just wasn't sure if I would continue to loose, and if they would effect ketosis.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I think it's highly individual whether or not it could stall your weight loss efforts, but nuts are good for you. I find them so satisfying that I have never binged on them (and I've binged on lots of other foods) and am fully satisfied with one ounce of peanuts, sunflower seeds, roasted pumpkin seeds. I cannot eat the other nuts, but do need to try almonds again to see if I can tolerate them.
  • bikerchick2012
    bikerchick2012 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Walnuts with cream cheese :) - but I need to weigh them as I could so easily binge on them
  • abcplum
    abcplum Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think it depends which stage of "Keto adaptation" you are in. From research I wouldn't until 6 months into the change.
    I'm still learning which foods agree with my system and which don't. After no losing fat, I'm eliminating cheese, nuts, caffeine.
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Just wondering about adding almonds or other nuts to my diet. Has anyone added almonds or some other form of nuts to their diet? Did it effect weight loss?

I have 1-3 oz of almonds every day, but I am just low carb, not keto.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Walnuts with cream cheese :) - but I need to weigh them as I could so easily binge on them

That sounds so good
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I don't do nuts at all. I have self-control issues with them and find them to be craving inducing and unsatisfying. Everyone is different.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I eat pre-portioned packs of almonds and pecans, sometimes macadamias too. I have huge issues with portion control and limit nuts severely. I measure nut butters to the gram.
  • Jbarnes1210
    Options
    I tried serving of almonds today, 3grams of net carbs. Hopefully this won't push me out of ketosis, I was trying to find an easy way to add fat to my diet, one serving is 14grams...
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    For fat, you want macadamias.
  • Jbarnes1210
    Options
    Maybe I'll try them next, the almonds weren't as good as I was expecting them to be....
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I have, but not recently and definitely not in May. Almonds are my choice if I do.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Walnuts 28 grams is 200 calories...