Macro's & Calorie Counting Ingredients Spreadsheet, Collaboration Needed

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
I couldn't find an Excel spreadsheet that listed the macro's and calories for popular foods. So I made one myself. I went to www.calorieking.com and transferred their data to my spread sheet. It was a lot of work. I wanted to know the macro's & calories for a particular weight of food. So I chose two weights: 100 grams & one pound (16 oz). Yes, I know that you never eat a pound of anything. But, I wanted to compare the foods against each other to see which had higher calories, carbs, fat, fiber & protein.

So I made 10 categories: (I included non-Keto foods).

Beverages
Condiments
Dairy (milk products)
Fruits
Grains
Meats
Nuts
Oils
Sugars
Veggies

I tried to keep single items only. No complex foods, no recipes, no restaurant food, etc. Stuff in the raw, or in a bag or bottle. Foods you would prepare recipes with. I limited it to generic for the most part. But I did use some popular branding ~ like Heinz ketchup. I indicated brands in the Notes column. Some of the nuts are dry roasted with salt and some are raw.

Now, if you don't have Excel, you can get a free viewer from Microsoft. It is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=10

I don't know if the viewer has any extra capabilities like sorting. I imagine it does. Because you can sort by carbs, protein, calories, fiber, food name, and most importantly ~ fat.

I only have about 107 items on the list. I am hoping you can look at it and find foods I missed. I am woefully lacking on beverages, because all I drink is water. Please note: I am not including a lot of sugary or alcohol drinks, I only put Coke, white wine, and orange juice. Beer ~ I forgot beer, (I'll add it on the next update). Teas are all zero. And I am not including sugar free products, they are usually rated as zero anyway. Also, I am not including every weird cheese ~ like limburger (that hardly anyone eats). And I included some BAD high carb food like grains. I am wanting the 95% percentile of each food group. Foods we eat everyday or that we can buy at Walmart.

When all the suggestions come in, I'll update it and post it again here and on my blog.

There are 11 sheets. One master sheet with all items. Then individual sheets for the ten categories. That way you can narrow your comparison easily.

After looking at the data, some foods will surprise you on their macro content. I hopes this increases your knowledge on what you eat.

KCKO,

Dan the Man from Spreadsheet Land

P.S. The file is attached to this post (click on it below)

Replies

• cchild2
    cchild2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Yes, I liked CalorieKing better... I could use them for a backup if I can't find something in CK...

Thanks, I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

• lindsaymacaluso
    Options
    @DittoDan this is really helpful, thanks for sharing!!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Put it in a Google file then it can be shared and collaborated on.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your hard work to make our lives easier!
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Thank you again Dan for all your work and your willingness to share your information gleaning, it's much appreciated, particularly by the less computer savvy amongst us.
  • cdpits
    cdpits Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! I am a newb, and just absorbing all the info I can and this is a tremendous help. Huge kudos for your hard work :smiley:
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Nice work on the spreadsheet.

In regards to the best site with nutritional data, personally I prefer http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/ because it tends to be the most accurate and uses measures to the hundredths decimal place.
  • k35cunning
    k35cunning Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you again Dan for all your work and your willingness to share your information gleaning, it's much appreciated, particularly by the less computer savvy amongst us.

what he said ! thank you- very nice of you
  • VainerNote
    VainerNote Posts: 13 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Nicely done! Thanks
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Pretty cool! Nice to see someone using grams, metric is so much easier for me to compute.