Increased 4 days ago. When to weigh?

Options
DitchThis
DitchThis Posts: 24 Member
Hi all!
I increased cals from 1700 to 2200 after finding the general consensus for my TDEE to be 2500-2600. When should I weigh myself? I want to find my actual TDEE, so it'd be a necessary evil, I suppose. But I don't want to jump the gun.

Replies

• AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you raised your calories from 1700 to 2200 in one big jump, then you might expect to see a pretty big jump on the scale. I normally recommend that people take that increase slower in order to give the body time to adapt and adjust along the way to the increase in calories. (perhaps add 100 calories on to each day's intake and maintain at that level for a week or so before making another 100 calorie increase..)

You can certainly use either method (either the slow one, or the rip off the "BandAid" method :-), and they will both ultimately get you to the same end-point, but by taking the slower route, you are able to monitor your weight after each increase see how your body reacts. Often, after you make even a small increase you may see a small jump on the scale, but that will normally trend back downwards over the next few days usually ending right back where you started, at which point you can increase another 100 calories or so. By doing this method, as you get closer and closer to your TDEE, you will most likely notice that your weight is slower to trend back downwards, and if you keep increasing, you will eventually start to see slow gains over time *that never stabilize*, and at this point you would have most likely surpassed your TDEE.

Understanding the process and knowing what to expect is key. I recently wrote a blog post for the EM2WL site which goes into detail what one can expect when upping their calories. Check it out, as you might find it helpful in guiding you through this process:

http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabolism-reset-guide/

Hope that helps a bit :-)
  • DitchThis
    Options
    Thank you! I'm not super concerned about the gain; I know it's part of the process. Just curious as to when it might level off.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If whatever level you were eating at was showing no loss anymore, that is your literal TDEE.

So sounds like a 500 cal increase, or 1 lb weekly of fat gain, plus some water weight.
    But hopefully the body speeds up during that time, so 1 lb week one, less next week, ect.

Depends on how slow your system is to speed up that 500 cal difference if that was good estimate of TDEE.

But indeed, weekly weigh-in on valid day help show that decreasing amount gained.
  • DitchThis
    Options
    Thanks @heybales! My estimated TDEE based on Scooby, IIFYM, and your spreadsheet was between 2500-2600. So I'm still under (hopefully). And I hadn't stopped losing completely at 1700, i just realized where it was heading and turned the bus around. Thanks for the insight.