Confused ...

Options
cmathies54
cmathies54 Posts: 9 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
A month ago I went for a complete medical and was told with a fasting blood glucose level of 7.5 and 6.7 on my A1C that I HAVE Type 2 diabetes. I questioned the Dr and asked if that was just borderline or prediabetic. She said no...I would be considered a diabetic. Then yesterday I went to see another doctor for another issue unrelated and the topic came up when he read my numbers and made a comment of being a prediabetic. He told me he wouldn't consider me a diabetic with those numbers. So confused. Any thoughts?

PS looking for friends with type 2 diabetes!!!

Replies

• robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm T2 diagnosed Nov 2011. Those numbers would be considered within the diabetic range by many Drs. The good news is that with a disciplined approach, which you have already shown in the past, you can live a healthy and active life. I've already accepted a friend request from you but just wanted to flag the fact that I'm T2 with an A1c of between 6.0 and 6.5 and aiming to get it down below 5.5. One of the definitive tests for Diabetes is to do an OGTT (oral glucose tolerance test). It's a simple test whereby the patient drinks a measured dose of glucose and the clinician then tests the insulin response over about 2 - 3 hours. You might want to speak to your Dr about this, if only to remove all doubt. Your numbers are a wake up call but not something to be overly worried about.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with T2 diabetes and currently my A1C is 5.6. My doctor thinks that is a bit too low so I'm confused as well. I do test my fasting BG and lately it's been in the mid to high 90s with an occasional 102. Prior to the last month or so it was running in the 120-130 range which I thought was high, according to all that I have read. I'm a lot confused as well.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    An initial diagnosis of diabetes is made if an A1C is 6.5% or higher. Prediabetes, a risk factor for diabetes, is signaled by levels between 5.7-6.4%. A result below 5.7% indicates a healthy blood sugar level.
    The typical target for people with diabetes is to get their A1C below 7%, but there are different targets for different individuals and stages of the disease

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265443.php#what_ a1c_level_defines_diabetes

In addition to the above information I read from another source that the A1C test has about a 0.5% margin of error. That seems alarmingly large since the difference between normal and diabetic is only 0.8%. This may also account for the confusingly different reaction of various doctors to similar levels.
  • aztec707
    aztec707 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    They consider 6.5 and above to be Diabetes. Pre diabetes would be the around 6, and a healthy level is 5.
  • Crystal_Mae
    Crystal_Mae Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was told August 2015 I'm diabetic T2 A1C was 7.2. Last month A1C is 5.3. I'm on Metformin twice a day. She told me not to think that I can go back to eating the way I was because my numbers are low, that I'm still a diabetic..
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I was told August 2015 I'm diabetic T2 A1C was 7.2. Last month A1C is 5.3. I'm on Metformin twice a day. She told me not to think that I can go back to eating the way I was because my numbers are low, that I'm still a diabetic..

Yup, this is how I look at it. I haven't taken any meds for blood sugar in 2 1/2 years now. I haven't had an A1C above 5.5 in two years, and the last few are in the 4.3-4.5 range (keto/very low carb). But if I go eat a bowl of ice cream right now and take my blood sugar an hour later, I guarentee you it'll be 170 or something and I'll feel HORRIBLE. I have no expectation that will ever change. But its ok, even with the diabetes diagnosis, I'm healthier now that I've ever been since I'm actually eating right on a consistent basis.
  • robert65ferguson
    Options
    I agree with radii. It would be rare to achieve a 'cure' from Diabetes. It is great to have blood sugars within the 'normal' range but don't forget this is being supported by your medication. Some people may claim that they have reversed Diabetes or are no longer diabetic. The definitive test would be for them to take an OGTT and then depending on the outcome make a definitive assessment. You have done well to achieve the results that you have but like security the price is eternal vigilence. Bank your success, give thanks and continue to be disciplined and you are more than likely to have a healthy and active life. I wish you well for the future.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    kudos on managing your blood sugar levels. But like your doc and other here, continue the vigilance. The damage done to your pancreas and your insulin resistance only get worse and not better.
  • turbocoupe5150
    turbocoupe5150 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ...The damage done to your pancreas and your insulin resistance only get worse and not better.
    That might not be true. Insulin sensitivity and pancreatic function might be able to be restored with elimination of pancreatic fat and prolonged exposure to a low insulin environment. This study was only 11 people, but it looks promising. It's goal was to replicate the observed rapid reversal of T2D after bariatric surgery. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3168743/
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    My doctor ( a certified diabetic educator) told me that once a diabetic, always a diabetic. Being diabetic means that your body does not control blood sugar levels properly and the only differences are in how it is managed. I was diagnosed in Jan, 2014 with an A1C of 7.2 and put on glipizide (my kidneys did not like metformin). My 3 month follow up A1C was 6.2 and my 6 month was 5.5. I have stayed around 5.4-5.5 ever since and my Dr. took me off the meds in December. I am now a diabetic who is managing the disease with diet and exercise. Eating reduced carb (max of 180 g daily) and getting enough exercise is taking care of it. I will never be able to go back to eating like I used to, but why would I want to? Eating that way caused me to be overweight by 150 lb and gave me the T2D. (I have lost 106 of the excess poundage so far)
  • robert65ferguson
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The good news is that while claims of a 'cure' for T2 diabetes is open to interpretation and dependent to a large extent on the advisers definition of diabetes. It is perfectly possible for the vast majority of people with T2 to achieve a really good level of control and to live healthy and active lives. This is borne out both by anecdotal evidence and a number of studies which have been carried out. Years ago there was a view among medics that once diagnosed with T2 the prognosis was one of inevitable decline with ever increasing levels of medication. Research and a more enlightened view among medics shows that that is not the case. Provided the person with T2 is prepared to adopt a disciplined approach it is more than likely that they can live healthy and active lives. This is borne out by the life stories of countless people in the support groups. Thanks to the internet, like minded people can access up to date information and share experiences. Thankfully we are no longer dependent on the views of the 'wise one'.