Keto too long???? Answer please!

Options
illmatic7
illmatic7 Posts: 24 Member
newbie about 3 months in I told my friend Sara about keto and she looked it up and found an article saying that maintaining a state of ketosis to long will result in heart problems,muscle loss and other complications i doubt this article as I know nothing wrong with sat fats and keto has a muscle sparing affect nonetheless she got me thinking about if what I'm doing is going to be problematic down the road really into this lifestyle don't want to stop until necessary so can an experienced ketoer tell me if ketosis to long is dangerous??? And if it causes heart probs?

Replies

• SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    There are people who have been in ketosis for decades. For example, there's Dr. Richard K. Bernstein, who has been on a ketogenic diet since 1969, and is now 80 years old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_K._Bernstein
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    As long as you're getting adequate protein, no worries about protein loss.

As long as you're getting adequate minerals and electrolytes, no major heart problems to worry about.

There are some longish-term studies on kids who were on a ketogenic diet, and I think they found that their arteries were a bit stiffer after 6 months on the diet, but it was reversible.

There are a bunch of keto studies, and some of them are on fasting/starvation. The people on long-term fasts did have protein loss and heart problems, but not those on nutritional ketosis AFAIK.
  • illmatic7
    illmatic7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Most studies I've seen have also been done on Frankenfood keto - soybean oil & all that malarkey.
  • YukiBuns
    YukiBuns Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned. I know a few friends who did Keto only for the sole purpose of weight loss and returned back to their carb loving, candy munching ways after they reached their goal and managed to maintain their current weight 2-4 years after dropping 70lbs. So it all depends. It can be a lifestyle change forever for some people, and some people just do it for weight loss and once they're done they break their Ketosis and go back to food they use to love but only eating it in moderation so they don't pack pounds.

Not saying you should do that. But it's a suggestion if you are worried about long-term effects it may have on the body that may be negative. You could also ask a doctor about it too. But some doctors actually are not as knowledgeable when it comes to Keto diets and Ketosis and sometimes mixes it up with a very similar term. So do a little more research and take everything in slowly and come to your own conclusions if this is something for you long-term or just temporary.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    15 years and I'm not dead. You'll be fine.
  • marciabwls
    marciabwls Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It's been so long since I did a low carb count..how long does it take to get into Keto..I use to use the keto
    test strips but I don't have any right now
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Strips aren't good for gauging keto since they just do the ketones in urine not blood, and only excess ones at that.
    Liver glycogen is depleted after about 16 hours so within 24 hours or so of low enough carbs you'll be in ketosis at least somewhat.