Anyone doing low-carb AND low-calories?

Options
I feel like I've been dieting forever and the only thing that seems to work for me is low-carb , low-calories and lots of exercise. Sometimes I find it very difficult to find foods that satisfy me while keeping my calories down. I have a major sweet tooth and would love to share low-carb recipes and tips.

Replies

• Annette_906
    Annette_906 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm doing low carb high fat and trying to keep my calories to 1200. I like sunflower seeds and pistachios as snacks. Make sure you have the right serving size and they make a great filling snack. I like to pick when I snack and these are perfect. These don't exactly help with the sweet tooth though! I eat a lot of eggs, shrimp, chicken and lean meats and wild game/fish. I don't eat dairy, so that limits a few food options. And also like you, I have to watch everything I eat and make sure I exercise or nothing happens. I have PCOS and low carb high fat is making a big difference. I use Pinterest a lot to find new snack and meal ideas! I made a sandwich the other day using cucumber instead of bread, it was really good :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I feel like I've been dieting forever and the only thing that seems to work for me is low-carb , low-calories and lots of exercise. Sometimes I find it very difficult to find foods that satisfy me while keeping my calories down. I have a major sweet tooth and would love to share low-carb recipes and tips.

The dieting forever part is probably why you have to go so very low calorie. You might want to look into methods to repair your metabolism, so that you can eat a proper amount of food, otherwise you risk burning out various parts of your endocrine system and have to keep going lower and lower calorie in order to maintain or lose weight. Additionally, if you're not eating as much as you should be eating, then it makes it harder for this way of eating to reduce your carb cravings. Going low carb usually enables you to eat more than you would with the typical "eat less, move more" mentality.

Check out the launch pad at the top of the group. There are a couple of recipe threads, as well as a number of other resources that will probably be of use.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    If you look through the discussions in this group, you'll see a lot of "Well I took your advice, increased my caloric intake, and the scale started moving downward again!"

Just like "high fat" is a concept that's so difficult to get our brains around at first, "don't starve yourself" is sadly a huge hurdle for many to overcome.

At first you would probably find you are starving, no matter how much you eat (of fats and proteins) at first. You may gain, you may stall but, with your carb intake under control, experiences of others tell us that you will eventually find your hunger signals regulating themselves, and finally you'll be satisfied with less.
  • pkroyle
    pkroyle Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do find that I need to track my calories to lose weight, but I need to eat "enough" and it varies on how much I work out that day as well. It's a balance to not eat too many calories, but also eat enough to keep my metabolism going and not go into starvation mode.

Regarding your sweet tooth, I would recommend doing this to try to kill your sugar demon. You crave sugar because it's like a drug, spikes your insulin levels and kicks your hormone out of balance. Even artificial sweeteners trick your brain into thinking it's being rewarded with sugar. I did the Whole30 cleanse a couple of months ago and it helped kill my sugar demon! You can technically find low carb sweets, but if you want to make long lasting health changes, it might be best to not have those treats. People ask how do they replace their craving and it's best to just ignore them and they will go away. You eventually stop craving it! :smile:

The book Well Fed does a great job of explaining how our bodies react to what we put in it.
  • pkroyle
    pkroyle Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure you're eating enough fat.....it will keep you satisfied! I eat like 1/2 an avacado with breakfast and lunch. I didn't eat it today at breakfast and noticed a huge lag in my energy today during my lunch time workout!
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I like sugar free jell-o for a sweet craving. 4 cups for 80 cal! Add some whipped HWC for extra fat!
  • Lillahe
    Lillahe Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I tried lclf and for me it gave me the shakes and irritability like hypoglycemia maybe? I went back to lchf and feel much better like it's more sustainable for me and thats a good thing. Also I am losing inches again.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Not anymore, sorry. I tried that for years and it really jacked up my system. LCHF may make losing weight a slower process, but its much more enjoyable.