New...need calorie help

Options
Kelly2300
Kelly2300 Posts: 43 Member
Hi all, I am hoping for some help from here. I am trying to set my calories up and looking for some suggestions. I am 35 year old female, desk job, two small kids at home. I lift 3 times a week (new rules of lifting for women) and swim twice a week for 30 mins. I went and used the scooby calculator and came up with the following results for 20% below TDEE it says anywhere between 2249 and 2535 for different levels of exercise. I have previously been keeping my calories at around 1800. My questions for you are...should I try to eat the 2249 to 2535 or because I have so much to lose, that is too high? If I should up my calories, do I do it all at once?

Thanks in Advance for your help.

Replies

• keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hi friend. Welcome aboard :-) You'll get great help and support here.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I think you should try that calorie level for 4 weeks and see what happens.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    What is your full TDEE, without a cut? Since you're coming from such low calories maybe calculate your TDEE and start there.
  • Kelly2300
    Options
    Full TDEE is 2798...seems really high to me
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Mine is right around 2000 when i have a 'relaxed' week of gym 1-2 times, so 2798 does not seem high at all. Have you tested thsi number to make sure it is correct?
  • Jennbecca33
    Jennbecca33 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I would choose moderate level activity and yes, increase your calories slowly. 1800 is too low. Even though you have a lot to lose, eating at too large of a calorie deficit will work against your fat loss. Increasing slowly will help to minimize any gains on the scale that can be common for those that increase calories too quickly or all at once. You want to give your body time to adjust to the increased food intake. You didn't mention how much you weigh. EM2WL does not suggest taking more than a 15% deficit from your TDEE. If you truly have a lot to lose, you could use 20% deficit just to get the first 5-10 lbs off, but then you would need to move to a 15% deficit. If you find yourself too hungry at the 20% deficit, then move to 15% and perhaps your TDEE is a bit higher than calculated. The calculators are just an estimate but they give us a good place to start. Welcome!
  • Kelly2300
    Options
    if by testing you mean trying it out...I have not. If you mean something else, let me know.

I forgot to add my weight...I am 285 lbs, about 130-140 overweight.

When you say go up slowly..how much would you add a week?
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Most people suggest 100 calories per day added per week. So go from 1800/day to 1900/day for a week and then bump up to 2000/day for another week.

Hope that helps!
  • Jennbecca33
    Jennbecca33 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Yes ^^^^ agreed. 100 calories daily per week - and increase by 100 every week. 1800 one week, 1900 the next week, and so on. It will take you several weeks to get to your calorie goal. You can go as slow as you want. Fluctuations are normal, so don't get discouraged as your body is adjusting to the new calorie intake. Here's a great read on what to expect if you haven't already seen it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/521728/increasing-calories-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience/p1