Anyone dairy free??

Options
Annette_906
Annette_906 Posts: 44 Member
Hi All!
Does anyone know if a dairy free group? Or are there people on here dairy free? I'm loving the low carb way of eating, I'm currently at 90g for the day and working my way down (slowly) but I am trying seriously to be dairy free. I don't drink milk at all or eat yogurt, cream cheese, cheese, etc (only on a rare occasion). I find that I bloat right away with dairy and also get an upset stomach not too long after eating dairy (not always but often).
Im not lactose intolerant but I do have PCOS and I'm almost 100% sure that is why dairy has a horrible affect on me. Overall, I just don't like how dairy makes me feel.
Thanks!

Replies

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    There are at least a few folks here who find that dairy compromises their happiness, so you're definitely not alone.

I'm trying it for a couple days myself, mostly to see if I can stand to drink my coffee without cream because I suspect that causes me to stall.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Bumping for ya.
  • EarthAmber
    EarthAmber Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am! PCOS as well and a dairy intolerance. Makes finding new recipes tricky.
  • Annette_906
    Annette_906 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    EarthAmber wrote: »
    I am! PCOS as well and a dairy intolerance. Makes finding new recipes tricky.

Yes it does!!! So many recipes call for cheese or cream cheese
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    There are at least a few folks here who find that dairy compromises their happiness, so you're definitely not alone.

I'm trying it for a couple days myself, mostly to see if I can stand to drink my coffee without cream because I suspect that causes me to stall.

Have you tried coconut milk/cream in your coffee? It's just like cream!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Fat4Fuel2 wrote: »

Have you tried coconut milk/cream in your coffee? It's just like cream!

I haven't! I will give it a shot the next time we have coconut milk in the house. I'm pretty happy if I don't need to add anything, though.
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    You should check out paleo recipes, no dairy. I went 4 months without dairy but I'm now allowing Greek yogurt and heavy whipping cream. I've noticed a bit of bloating as you say though. May drop it again next month.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    I'm dairy free because of prostate concerns. I drink Silk Unsweetened Almond milk and I'm very happy. It's a bit more challenging to get the fat grams without all of the cheese, sour cream/butter but it's definitely possible. Coconut oil is my savior.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I added dairy back but I do not drink/use milk but stick with cheese, 36% fat heavy whipping cream, cottage cheese (in same amounts because if its sugar content) and when eating out I will use half and half in plain coffee. Very low carb dairy is doable in my case after I got totally off of processed food and drink. I was coming up low on fats so I added back the dairy that floats to the top in raw milk. :)
  • EarthAmber
    EarthAmber Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You should check out paleo recipes, no dairy. I went 4 months without dairy but I'm now allowing Greek yogurt and heavy whipping cream. I've noticed a bit of bloating as you say though. May drop it again next month.

I wish I could do this. I'm allergic to dairy and almost all of the alternatives: soy, almonds, coconut.

But they just started making cashew milk products more available! So happy
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    @EarthAmber you an make your own nut milks with a decent blender. Soak the nuts for an hour or so, then throw the nuts and their water into the blender and blend really well. Add more water while you continue blending. About 1/4 cup of nuts makes a litre (or 1½ pints) of milk. You can either use it as it is, or strain it through a muslin cloth if the small bits freak you out.
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I eat a little cheese, little eggs and lots of butter but that is it for dairy. I'm not trying to cut dairy, I'm just not a huge fan of it