Married at First Sight

pa_jorg
pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
Season 2 of the show Married at First Sight just started recently. In case people don't know, it's a show where singles go through crazy amounts of psychological profiling and interviews and then 4 experts match them and they literally get married at first sight. The show itself is totally addicting and all online: http://www.fyi.tv/shows/married-at-first-sight

Anyway, I know it seems insane at first, but after watching and all the profiling they use I'm starting to wonder if there could be something to this? Has anyone else watched and if so what do you think?

Replies

• bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Hmm haven't seen it but it sounds interesting. I'll check it out and let you know what I think.
  • maria1113
    maria1113 Posts: 508 Member
    I have seen the Finnish version and it was interesting :) 2/3 of the marriages worked after 9 months of the wedding. And they seemed happy :) The one that didn't work ended up well and the couple is good freinds now. Apparently they just missed the right chemistry (their own words).
  • Belle8312
    Belle8312 Posts: 2,151 Member
    I saw a preview for it, it looks pretty interesting!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    It would be interesting to see if the marriages last. Still, a seriously huge step to take for the sake of television? Would you take part? :D

I dont think you can measure chemistry though which has always played a huge part in my relationships. Although I have no problem with couples that seem to make it work through common ground and equal commitment. Arranged marriages, for example, are based on status, background and dowry?

Do they tell you what questions are asked with the profiling? Are they paired on common interests? So no chance of opposites attracting??

I dunno, seems a bit clinical..........but I'd probably watch it if I was in America :D

• bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    maria1113 wrote: »
    I have seen the Finnish version and it was interesting :)

If you're from Finland I'm jealous.
  • maria1113
    maria1113 Posts: 508 Member
    bregalad5 wrote: »
    maria1113 wrote: »
    I have seen the Finnish version and it was interesting :)

If you're from Finland I'm jealous.

Yep, I'm a Finn, born and bred :)
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    I have been watching the American version and they matched 3 couples. I think one of the couples will make it work as they seem to have a lot of the same family values but the other ones. The girl friend zoned the guy so fast and treats him like he doesn't know anything.
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    (Guilty admission) I've been watching it and honestly, it's made me wonder if I should try to find some sort of matchmaker for myself; not for marriage at first sight, but at least for dating. They seem to be doing a lot better in their matches than I have in picking my own for the last several years.
  • Tube_socks
    Tube_socks Posts: 808 Member
    Yes, it's one of the couple of shoes I watch. It seems to be working!
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    photo_kyla wrote: »
    (Guilty admission) I've been watching it and honestly, it's made me wonder if I should try to find some sort of matchmaker for myself; not for marriage at first sight, but at least for dating. They seem to be doing a lot better in their matches than I have in picking my own for the last several years.

I was thinking the same thing for me.

• Tube_socks
    Do yall think it's interesting that the couples who had sex the night of the wedding aren't doing so hot (last season too)?
    Granted the one couple where both were bullied as children are also having difficulties but more because of life circumstances .. Not because they themselves are clashing.
  • MissingMinnesota
    I actually think the couple that had sex is doing better than the couple that was bullied as kids. They might have some arguements but it's on how they communicate with eachother and that is can difficult when you first meet someone. I think the Indian girl is being way selfish and the guy isn't helping by being a pushover. I am surprised that the couple that seemed to be friendzoned at the begining is actually turning into my favorite couple.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    due to the conversation here, I started watching this show and am totally addicted to it!! My favorite couple is definitely the ones that started as friendzoned. I really like Jess, but don't think she and Ryan are going to make it...he has anger issues and does not like to talk anything out, and she is completely the opposite. I do hope I am wrong and they can work through things, butI don't know.
  • Tube_socks
    See the couple who had sex seem
    Doomed to me. I think their personalities clash.
    I think the chick came off as desperate to me though. I don't know. They both seem a little off.

And I love friend zoned couple too! They weren't my fav either but so cute.
    Just like the first season... Doug and Jamie became my fav too.
  • MissingMinnesota
    I watched tuesday's episode last night and yay the couple that had sex are doomed. I don't think she was really ready for marriage and he is taking cues from an old russian couple (his grandparents) on how to treat his wife which are very out dated and is a lot of yelling.
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    I wonder how much of what we're seeing is edited for the drama. That said, if a guy treated me like Ryan has been treating Jess (when she was trying so hard to communicate telling her "I'm not going to tell you why I'm mad, you should know! Any decent person would know!") I would be PISSED and probably feel like it was doomed too.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    photo_kyla wrote: »
    I wonder how much of what we're seeing is edited for the drama. That said, if a guy treated me like Ryan has been treating Jess (when she was trying so hard to communicate telling her "I'm not going to tell you why I'm mad, you should know! Any decent person would know!") I would be PISSED and probably feel like it was doomed too.

I caught two episodes last night - I feel like the matchmakers blew that one. A needy wreck and a rage-aholic? Not a good match at all.
  • MissingMinnesota
    I finally watched this weeks episode and next week is going to be interesting with Jess having to write down the words that hurt her and how Ryan will take that. Also see how the friendzone couple handles it when she is out of town. I hope that makes the other Ryan miss her.
  • Tube_socks
    The nurse guy is a poon. Not my style. And why the hell did he hammer a screw into the wall? That coue is annoying me.

Jess and Ryan are not even interesting to me anymore. Yuck! They both think they're right. I just don't think they're personalities go together. If I were with Ryan, you can bet I'd speak up!!

I do like the friend zone couple. They were my least favorite in the beginning too!

• lkaoki
    lkaoki Posts: 51 Member
    I love this show! I think the process can work. Sometimes we get so hung up with our issues that it's hard to think through things logically. The experts focused on issues that are important in order for the relationship work, their values, their background, their views on sex, etc. I noticed all couples need to work on communication and bringing down that wall. Of course they married a complete stranger with the possibility of getting a divorce in six weeks. To make oneself vulnerable with the very strong chance of getting divorce is definitely a challenge. I don't know about anyone else, but I would totally keep that wall up and proceed with caution.

I would love to see follow ups though. Kind of like a where are they now type of thing one year later and beyond.