Outdoor swimming question

Options
earlnabby
earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
For those who do outdoor swimming in lakes, what do you do to make yourself visible to boaters? My pool is closing for about 10 days at the end of May and I need to find an alternative. I live in an area with a lot of lakes, all of which have at least one public landing, and would swim in them. The public beaches are just too small for any kind of exercise swimming so I want to go "cross country" instead.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I would find a friend who kayaks or canoes. Seriously, be very careful.
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You can also get a safety buoy. It's a bright colored buoy attached to a cord that straps around your waist, making you visible to others. But I do agree with Robertus, having someone kayak or canoe next to you is best.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Have somebody with you in some sort of vessel so that if you have a physical issue (cramp, etc.) they are there to help you, plus you can always grab onto the boat. If you're out there by yourself, you have no help if something happens & nothing to grab onto if need be. That's how tragedies happen.....
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Getting someone to come with me is not going to be possible. On the other hand, I can borrow my brother's kayak and get an upper body workout that way instead of swimming. I'll just have to add a couple of miles to my daily walk to make up for it.

Thanks for the help! I'll keep the safety buoy in mind if I ever decide to do some open water swimming. I wonder if they make a swim cap in blaze orange? I live in a state where hunting is very popular and they seem to make everything else in blaze orange.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Speedo makes a bright yellow cap. I have one for open water swimming. But are you really intending to swim alone? I have to discourage that strongly.
  • starseedxo
    starseedxo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    As the Red Cross teaches all the swim students, "Swim with a buddy in a supervised area". Also, be sure that it's legal to swim across the lakes. Where I live, people get ticketed and fined if they are swimming outside of the beaches.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Buoy or no, don't swim open water without somebody right there with you. It just isn't worth taking the chance, too many things (many of them not in your control) can happen......
  • CathyPot
    CathyPot Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    We have a safety buoy with us. We swim in a lake that has an arm for swimmers. There are usually other swimmers there, and boats must be wakeless. I am comfortable swimming there alone. However, we sometimes head across the lake (in a group of 2-4) in the early, early morning before boats are out. At that time the buoy is essential. It has a dry pouch where you could keep a flare, or even your phone. Look on the Keifer website.