Goals for May

Options
NJbabe
NJbabe Posts: 113 Member
What are everyone's goals for May? :)

Here are mine:

I'm trying to lose 12 lbs. (5.5 kg.)

I'm going to swim 60 min. a day, 5 days a week.

I also plan on taking my dog for longer walks... about an hour each day. It will be fun for him too. And my husband (who is also trying to lose weight) is going to join us ;)

And I'm going to take some supplements for skin tightening.

Replies

• Etherlily1
    Etherlily1 Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    To rebel against the side effects of my medicine and lose ten pounds instead of gaining the projected twelve

Walk one hour a day total in increments

To not give up hope
  • deedee8102
    deedee8102 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My May goals are to increase my walk-in home program (Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds).
    Increase my water intake.
    Severely cut intake of refined carbs and sugar.
    To keep positive and not give up on this journey!! :)
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    My May goals are increasing weight training and cardio.
    Do better with protein.
    Limit my fat intake.
    Lose 15 lbs.
  • Mrs_Cunningham420
    Mrs_Cunningham420 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    eat more fruit and veggies, and exercise more too. to lose any amount would be great.
  • Etherlily1
    Options
    I'm adjusting my goals after meeting with the nutritionist. Walk 1.5 hours a day per her recommendation to move more than I do. We'll see how it goes.
  • SuperSizeMeNot
    SuperSizeMeNot Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    30 pounds in 30 days.
    so far ive been doing it for 5 days...
    I lost 5 pounds.
    ill be going low carb and have a daily cal. limit
  • NJbabe
    Options
    30 pounds in 30 days.
    so far ive been doing it for 5 days...
    I lost 5 pounds.
    ill be going low carb and have a daily cal. limit

You lose weight (mostly water) much quicker in the beginning (the initial 2 weeks.) Your weight loss stabilizes after that.

Losing 30 lbs. in 30 days means that you plan on getting a 105,000 calorie deficit (1 lbs. of fat = approx. 3,500 calories.)

I'm curious, how do you plan on doing that?
  • SuperSizeMeNot
    SuperSizeMeNot Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    low carb (atkins diet) and a 500 cal diet for the month of may.
  • NJbabe
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'd like to point a few things out...

Diets under 800 calories per day should only be administered when an obese individual must lose a lot of weight quickly for medical reasons (i.e. undergoing surgery or keeping immediate health concerns at bay.) And they should be supervised by an experienced doctor.

Also, keep in mind that you are likely to develop gallstones. Take this into consideration: "The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases states that between 10 and 25 percent of people who undergo a VLCD develop gallstones. Some of these patients--approximately one-third, according to the NIDDK--show symptoms that become severe enough to warrant surgery. Why this happens isn't fully known. The Cleveland Clinic and NIDDK suggest that rapid weight loss might make the gallbladder contract less and expel less bile, leading to gallstone formation."

I don't know if you follow /r/loseit on Reddit. But if you do, you might have read about quite a few people who go on these VLCD (very low calorie diets) and end up having their gallbladders removed.

You should also take supplements. 500 calorie level is too low to obtain adequate nutrition for your body.

Also, eating below 1,000-1,200 calories per day makes your body assume that there is a food shortage. It needs a certain amount of calories per day just to do its basic functions (Basal Metabolic Rate or the calories your body burns while at rest.) The end result will cause it to go into what is known as "starvation mode." As a result, your metabolism will slow down and try to conserve energy. And slow metabolism will make it more difficult for your body to lose weight. Not to mention that while you may lose weight initially, you will gain it all back and probably even more on top of it once you get back on a regular diet.

What is your TDEE?
  • Etherlily1
    Options
    Before the Minnesota study of men is brought out to disprove starvation mode, I would like to point out that the lowest it went is the lowest that is recommended for a person to eat. They were not actually in a starvation zone. The diets were equivocal to a 1200 calorie diet for women, the minimum recommended. Starvation mode tends tends to happen on average below 1,000 calories a day, although, despite what some claim it doesn't occur the moment you eat below that limit, it takes a couple of weeks for it to really hit home. That calorie level the body is going to keep its fat stores and instead pull from your lean muscle tissue for energy and in turn will slow down your metabolism while it is learning to become very good at burning the few calories it does bring in. There are better ways to go.

You are not in a race with anyone to get to the goal. Also, the faster you go the more loose skin you will have in the end. I get it, we want it gone and fast, but to keep it off it also needs to be slow. AND Atkins is supposed to be a high cal diet in order to hit the markers you are supposed to with it in order to lose. Be cautious here. Don't hurt yourself in pursuit of getting there as fast as possible.
  • dawnz75
    dawnz75 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    May Goals:
    100% food tracking (even if I go over, even if it is a guess-timate)
    Exercise 4-5 times a week (Hasfit- free beginners videos) 25-30 min each
    Would love to see 10-15 pounds depart...
    Work on healthy choices for calories, have lots of chopped fruit and vegetables in my house, esp. with famers markets starting up....
    Kinda silly goal, but challenging for me... to not purchase cereal for breakfast, but to have healthier alternatives for myself and my kids and hubbie...
  • NJbabe
    Options
    Adding 2 goals...

I'm going to get full blood work done this week.

I'm also going to see a very experienced dietitian in NYC. I'm going to discuss what I've been doing with her and see if she has any other ideas for optimizing weight loss.
  • cameo3244
    cameo3244 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My goals for May is to lose 14 lbs (to cross a milestone). Since I am just starting out (again...but for the last time!), 14 lbs shouldn't be unrealistic in my first month. Other times I have dieted, 20 lbs have been typical for me the first month with my results slowing to about 10 lbs per month afterwards.

My 2nd goal is to move more - whether it's just by walking around the property, playing on the wii - it doesn't matter! :) I work long hours and when I come home, I just want to sit on the couch and not move until it's time to go to bed. I know habits are hard to break so I am not going to set an unrealistic goal for myself - I am going to set little goals this time and celebrate the small steps. That way, I won't have my vision clouded by the distance to the finish line and give up.

Hope you all are having a fabulous Cinco de Mayo!
  • cameo3244
    cameo3244 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    dawnz75 wrote: »
    May Goals:
    100% food tracking (even if I go over, even if it is a guess-timate)

This is a fantastic goal! I start tracking but when I have a bad day, I tend to skip tracking that day because I figure "why bother when I know I've done poorly" then I continue to derail until I'm so far from the tracks i can no longer see the train.

Thank you for the insight - I will try to do better in this area as well :)
  • quafferj
    quafferj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My goal for May is to lose 7lbs...initially I was hoping for that to be my mid-may goal, but due to a week of stalled weight loss, it seems a little out of reach to lose that much in 2 weeks!
  • NJbabe
    edited May 2015
    Options
    NJbabe wrote: »
    Adding 2 goals...

I'm going to get full blood work done this week.

I'm also going to see a very experienced dietitian in NYC. I'm going to discuss what I've been doing with her and see if she has any other ideas for optimizing weight loss.

Well, I'm scheduled for blood work today at 11:30 a.m.

I found a wonderful dietitian. She's quite busy though. So I'm going to see her on May 22nd. I guess 2 weeks wait time is not that bad. And I'm on the right track in the meantime. I just hope that she isn't one of those dietitians who tell you to go vegetarian/vegan or dairy free... or some other nonsense. I'd like to be able to eat most things (in moderation.)
  • anmajon24
    anmajon24 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My goal for May is to lose any amount of weight. I haven't been eating and exercising like I should be and haven't lost anything, so any amount of weight lost will be a positive.
  • NJbabe
    Options
    How are everyone's goals for May coming along? :)

I received the results from my blood work. I am happy to report that I don't have diabetes (phew!) or even pre-diabetes. That was my biggest concern. My thyroid gland looks good as well.

I've lost 3 kg. (6.6 lbs.) in the past 4 weeks. That's slightly lower than what I expected. But I've also been unable to get to the pool (family emergency.) That's about to change in the middle of next week. I could really use the extra 900 calories burned 5 times a week. ;)

The dietitian cancelled my appointment today, because she got sick. Meh. She wanted to reschedule it. We'll see...
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear about your progress!

My May Goals are going okay. Definitely improved my cardio/strength training. Also doing better with protein. So far I have only lost 7.6 lbs this month (was hoping for 15 by 6/01) and my fat intake is still a bit of an issue.