Lunch Warmer Croc-Pot

Options

Replies

• pattyperkins927
    pattyperkins927 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to make due with a Microwave at work. The Real Estate org will come and rain down pain on me if I plug something like that in in my office. I'm managing though :)
  • grmshelle
    grmshelle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My 16oz Hamilton Beach is kind of small and it took forever to heat up my chicken noodle soup. Glad I didn't pay much for it, I think I'll check out that 20oz one.
  • Nightingale2200
    Nightingale2200 Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to make due with a Microwave at work.

You can cook it the night before, Patty, place in a microwavable container, warm in the microwave at work.
    I think I'll check out that 20oz one.

I think you'll be happy with the 20 ounce, grmshelle.
  • PeggyS925
    PeggyS925 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    PeggyS925 wrote: »

Kung Poa Noodles - (I fixed as per instructions in microwave)

Peggy, wanted to add to this. You don't have to prepare the container in the microwave at all. Just remove the lid, take out the packet, add water to the fill line (you can add low sodium broth if you like). Then dump the container of liquid/noodles in the lunch crock, break up the noodles, add your veggies. Noodles are tender within minutes and you can warm all morning if you want. I put mine on around 9ish and eat around noonish.

This was very good. Adding chicken was a great idea. Thanks again for this.

Oh, btw ... I thought I was really good at judging how much ounces, grams, cups, etc., were. Boy, was I wrong. I purchased a food scale and has made all the difference in the world with the correct measurements of everything I put in my body and correlates with my plan.

Glad to know I don't have to nuke first! Thanks for the update. I need to get me some scales. I'm sure I'd be shocked at how much more I'm eating than I thought.
  • grmshelle
    Options
    I think I'll hold off on the 20oz now that I ate my chicken noodle soup with a cup of raw spinach chopped. It was good and held all of it well and plenty hot. I will use it again a few times before I give up.
  • sznsido
    sznsido Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have a hard time finding the fill line???
  • Nightingale2200
    Options

Glad to know I don't have to nuke first! Thanks for the update. I need to get me some scales. I'm sure I'd be shocked at how much more I'm eating than I thought.

Hey, Peggy,

I found nuking some of the meals, some of the ingredients are hard and just not done like I want. The crock does a wonderful job of rectifying this.

sznsido wrote: »

HAHAHA! Yes, sznsido, I do. I had to turn on 2 lights, get my glasses and hold the container juussssttt right. LOL!

grmshelle wrote: »
    I think I'll hold off on the 20oz now that I ate my chicken noodle soup with a cup of raw spinach chopped. It was good and held all of it well and plenty hot. I will use it again a few times before I give up.

Sounds like you have it all worked out o.k., grmshelle. I keep seeing people adding spinach to things, but haven't tried doing that yet. Never was spinach eater.

• PeggyS925
    Options

I've gone to actually measuring the liquid because I can't see the line. I thought it was just my tired, old eyes!
  • grmshelle
    Options
    Hey Night...you never know the spinach is there, I use it for color and filler, besides it's super healthy.--Shelle
  • kdubskwags
    kdubskwags Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The "fill line" is a myth. The directions have you look for it to burn calories.
  • PeggyS925
    Options
    kdubskwags wrote: »
    The "fill line" is a myth. The directions have you look for it to burn calories.

HA! I think you're on to something!
  • MsDimeo
    MsDimeo Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. But I have found that you can actually feel it from the outside so that helps a little.

• Nightingale2200
    Options
    grmshelle wrote: »
    Hey Night...you never know the spinach is there, I use it for color and filler, besides it's super healthy.--Shelle

I remember spinach as a kid. Was just awful. Now, I do like salads w/spinach leaves. Cooked, however ... I'm going to give it a try, grmshelle. :)

kdubskwags wrote: »

HAHAHAHA! I agree with ya, kdubskwags. Now, how do you log that exercise??

I've gone to actually measuring the liquid because I can't see the line. I thought it was just my tired, old eyes!

Well, I thought that was my problem, too, Peggy. With the Diabetic retinopathy I have trouble seeing a lot of things like this.

Feeling for it like MsDimeo said is a good idea.

• flomay5253
    flomay5253 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I got mine directly from the Crock Pot website and it was on sale. I got for 17.98 with free shipping. Extra container and lid was only $5.00
  • shedthesweater
    shedthesweater Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    A member at NS went through the very long Lunch Crock thread and condensed everything so thought I'd place it here to help us ...
    NS Sloppy Joe mix - added onions, green & red bell peppers, and a little salsa.
    NS Loaded Mashed Potato - with celery, turkey, onions and peppers
    NS chicken Noodle soup - added some Tyson grilled chicken strips (pf), 1/2 can sliced carrots, onions & celery. It was delicious and very filling. Even though it wasn't one of the "add water" lunches I did add a little extra water as it looked dry when I started.
    NS Three Cheese Chicken & Pasta (with water filled to the line), a cup of frozen broccoli, 1/4 cup frozen onions, 5 grape tomatoes, and added frozen Tyson chicken strips (fully cooked) as my PF. After about an hour and a half I added a wedge of LC Garlic & Herb, then waited about 45 more minutes to eat. This was ridiculously filling and delicious.
    NS Mac & Cheese - added about 4 oz of water, 1/2 cup of diced tomatos with green chiles, 1/2 cup mushrooms (canned that I drained and rinsed) and 1/2 cup black beans as my smart carb and some cooked turkey burgers as a leftover PF. I put it on about 4:45 pm before I left for 5:00 mass and ended up eating it about 6:45 or so which means it cooked for about 2 hours. It was perfect!! The noodles were not mushy at all and it was totally delish!!!
    NS Red Beans & Rice - 1/2 cup of low sodium beef broth. I also added 1/2 cup of canned petite diced tomatoes (no salt added) and the only other veggie I had in the house was frozen green beans so I tossed some of those in too. I also added a few dashes of tabasco sauce.
    NS Hickory Smoked Burger - added a bit of low sodium broth, put in the burger and dumped diced onion on top. I let the patty stay in the crock for 2 hours. The results were super yummy!
    NS Mexican Tortilla Soup - with the seasoning packet, added some frozen stir fry veggie blend (sugar snap peas, carrots, onions and mushrooms), frozen pepper strips, 2 oz chicken breast, a little no sodium Mexican spice blend, and the lunch cup full of water. It was DELISH!
    NS Mac 'n Cheese - with mushrooms, frozen broccoli, 2 oz. chicken breast, and an LC wedge
    NS Three Cheese Chicken - added fresh zucchini, carrots chicken breast, and cilantro. I also used chicken broth in place of the water. I filled the cup to the fill line with the chicken stock. Let it cook for about a hour and half.
    NS - Cheddar Broccoli Rice lunch cup (water to the fill line) with: chopped onions, a couple of frozen asparagus stalks snapped into small pieces, a half a can of drained chicken, and added spices and some pepper
    NS Chicken Noodle soup - added raw carrots and celery
    NS Multigrain Pilaf - added a frozen blend of onion and bell pepper and also added some broccoli and some shrimp as my PF.
    NS - Loaded Potato - add a slice of Pre-Cooked Bacon @ 20 calories for the slice. Or I may add 1 1/2 as that should still fit as a limited extra. The Real bacon enhances the flavor for my taste buds. I tried Bacon Bits first and they did not do as good a job as the real bacon. The Next one I do I may try with a slice of Canadian bacon or a PF of Canadian Bacon diced into the crock. I like Ham and Potatoes.
    NS Mexican Tortilla soup - added chicken breast (PF) and Rotel. Can also add Laughing cow
    NS Meatball dinner - added some onions, pepper and mushrooms and put it all on a hot dog bun
    NS Tortellini lunch entree - sliced crimini mushrooms, broccoli slaw, little LS chicken broth, 2T sauerkraut (sp), 1 wedge laughing cow. I put them into the crock pot in that order so that the mushrooms and broccoli slaw cooked hottest. The slaw needs the extra time to cook enough for me.
    NS Fettuccini Alfredo - added some left over green beans, some water chestnuts, fresh broccoli, a wedge of LC cheese & 4oz of cooked shrimp (my lunch PF).
    NS Mexican Style Tortilla Soup - added frozen peppers and onions, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, a tad of leftover taco meat (pf), and a chipotle laughing cow wedge(pf)
    NS Multigrain Pilaf - with frozen onions and peppers, chicken broth, chipotle Laughing cow, and just about a tbsp. of left over taco meat with homemade taco seasoning
    NS Cheddar Broccoli Rice cup (lunch) - with veggies and chicken (I use broccoli & cauliflower and precooked roasted chicken
    NS Cheesy Potatoes - with green beans, peppers and vegetable broth is the bomb!
    NS Mexican-Style Tortilla Soup - add the amount of water listed on the cup (to fill line), 1/2 cup of diced tomatoes (drained), cooked chicken (2oz), 1 cup raw broccoli and 1 cup raw cauliflower and cook until all vegetable is tender (1 1/2 to 2 hours).
    NS Chicken Parmesan Pasta - with half water, half low sodium chicken broth. added some garlic, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes and 1/4 cup Brussels sprouts.
    NS Fettuccini Alfredo - with mushrooms and turkey (I used Perdue Carving Board Turkey)
    NS Fettucini cup lunch - with the water and a 3-oz can of tuna.
    NS Black Beans and Rice Lunch Cup - with Carrots, Canned Tomatoes, Chicken Broth, Onions, Red Bell Pepper, Chili Powder, Cumin, in the pot and cooked for a couple of hours.
    NS Mexican Tortilla Soup - with a can of diced tomatoes (with juice), 3oz of canned chicken (with water), and half a zucchini chopped. I didn't even add any extra water because the juice of the tomatoes, the water from the chicken and from the zucchini as it cooked was enough.
    NS Italian Wedding soup - with either kale or spinach, mushrooms and cooked ground turkey. I usually cook the kale or spinach in a cup or bowl in the microwave first and then cut up with scissors while still in the cup or bowl. Put the cut greens, mushrooms, turkey, and soup in the warmer. Makes a very thick soup/stew.
    NS Beans and Ham soup - with WF BBQ sauce, chopped FF hot dog and some chopped onions. Delicious!
    Baked apple in a crockpot - I decided to make my SC in it to add to my dessert. Since the crockpot only warms, I cut up an apple in chunks, added some Torani sugar-free caramel syrup (about 1-2T) and a couple dashes of cinnamon. After a couple hours, it smelled heavenly! When it was done it was perfect with a spiced "sauce". I added that to a NS frozen carrot cake and it truly felt like I was cheating, but it was just a SC and a NS dessert.
    Stuffed Pepper - i stuffed the pepper with the red rice and beans lunch pouch with hot sauce and a little WW shredded Mexican cheese.
    i poured a mix of canned tomato, onions, mushrooms and celery on top and around the pepper. i did steam the pepper a bit before cooking since i was afraid that since it was not submerged in a liquid like most other soups that it wouldn't cook the pepper right.
    Tips & Techniques:

• Tip: Kernel Seasonings, flavors are: Ranch, Buffalo Wing, Bacon Cheddar, Milk Chocolate Caramel, Nacho Cheddar & Butter. The calories range 2-5 calories for 1/4 tsp:
    Garlic Parmesan one in my Turkey Bacon Rigatoni
    White Cheddar in my Fettuccini Alfredo

• Tip: Do a Google search for Dr. McDougall's food (I can't post a link). They have lots of dry cup lunches & shelf stable liquid soups in boxes. Many of them fit the NS stats & several are low sodium, if that's something you keep an eye on. I love their Tomato Basil Pasta & Minestrone cups...& their Split Pea soup. You can also find these on Amazon & on the Vitacost site.

• I start my lunch crock about 5-6 hours before lunchtime and I add hot (almost boiling) water from our hot water fountain spigot at work, and almost always raw cauliflower & raw zucchini along with whatever NS lunch I'm having, and everything does cook by lunchtime. Carrots can be a little bit hard still and sometimes I nuke them for a minute or two before adding if I am goig to use them; otherwise I do all my veggies raw and they cook just fine. I also add water almost to the crockpot fill line regardless of how much water NS says to add, and I do this for the canned NS lunches too, not just the dry cup ones and i end up with a stew/soup like concoction that I really like.

• The Mac n cheese and mashed potato items take less than an hour. If you add frozen veggies to rice dish it takes about 2 hours. But I have forgotten them for 3 or 4 hours and it doesn't hurt or burn the dish. It is like putting it on warm to hold for when you are ready.

• I have used the Kirkland (Costco) canned Chicken with it and added a little bit of the juice from the can along with the chicken. It works out that each can has 3.5 servings. A serving is 2 oz., 1 gram fat, 45 Mg Cholesterol, 270 Mg Sodium, 13 Grams Protein and 4% Vitamin C, 2% of Calcium and Iron. I think of it as fairly decent and easy. I also use it to make a Chicken salad.

• I will marinate some chicken breasts (normally in the Balsalmic dressing from Nutrisystem - it's a great marinade but I don't like it as a dressing, and I use about 1 packet per 3 breasts.) on Saturday, then Sunday I will grill them all up, chop them, and measure them out in 2 oz packages. Then, to each package I will add 1 cup to 1.5 cups of my favorite frozen veggies - normally 1/4 cup edamame/corn succotash (counts as my afternoon SC), some asparagus stir fry, chopped broccoli, and chopped spinach. I usually end up making about 12 packets, which are then super easy to just dump into the lunch crock in the morning. I use the same mix for everything

Amazing ideas!! Thanks for sharing
  • Nightingale2200
    Options
    You are welcome, shedthesweater
  • Beach949RN
    Beach949RN Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You're welcome, Beach. :) What color are you gonna get? I guess I should have purchased one that went with my kitchen colors, black/white, but I got red and it matches my microwave grill. LOL!

I ordered the same color and supposed to arrive tomorrow. I also have the red micro hearth grill and love that. Hadn't even heard of it until reading about it on the NS boards. Can't wait to try it the lunch warmer!
  • Nightingale2200
    Options
    I have the same Microhearth grill, Beach ... :)

I have not used it yet. Been so busy and need to go back and refresh my memory on how others used theirs. I bought some asparagus today (never cooked that before in my life) and think I'm going to try grilling those.
  • evhutchings
    evhutchings Posts: 448 Member
    Options

Thanks so much for the add in tips, nightingale2200!!
    A member at NS went through the very long Lunch Crock thread and condensed everything so thought I'd place it here to help us ...
    NS chicken Noodle soup - added some Tyson grilled chicken strips (pf), 1/2 can sliced carrots, onions & celery. It was delicious and very filling. Even though it wasn't one of the "add water" lunches I did add a little extra water as it looked dry when I started.
    NS Three Cheese Chicken & Pasta (with water filled to the line), a cup of frozen broccoli, 1/4 cup frozen onions, 5 grape tomatoes, and added frozen Tyson chicken strips (fully cooked) as my PF. After about an hour and a half I added a wedge of LC Garlic & Herb, then waited about 45 more minutes to eat. This was ridiculously filling and delicious.
    NS Mac & Cheese - added about 4 oz of water, 1/2 cup of diced tomatos with green chiles, 1/2 cup mushrooms (canned that I drained and rinsed) and 1/2 cup black beans as my smart carb and some cooked turkey burgers as a leftover PF. I put it on about 4:45 pm before I left for 5:00 mass and ended up eating it about 6:45 or so which means it cooked for about 2 hours. It was perfect!! The noodles were not mushy at all and it was totally delish!!!
    NS Red Beans & Rice - 1/2 cup of low sodium beef broth. I also added 1/2 cup of canned petite diced tomatoes (no salt added) and the only other veggie I had in the house was frozen green beans so I tossed some of those in too. I also added a few dashes of tabasco sauce.
    NS Hickory Smoked Burger - added a bit of low sodium broth, put in the burger and dumped diced onion on top. I let the patty stay in the crock for 2 hours. The results were super yummy!
    NS Mexican Tortilla Soup - with the seasoning packet, added some frozen stir fry veggie blend (sugar snap peas, carrots, onions and mushrooms), frozen pepper strips, 2 oz chicken breast, a little no sodium Mexican spice blend, and the lunch cup full of water. It was DELISH!
    NS Mac 'n Cheese - with mushrooms, frozen broccoli, 2 oz. chicken breast, and an LC wedge
    NS Three Cheese Chicken - added fresh zucchini, carrots chicken breast, and cilantro. I also used chicken broth in place of the water. I filled the cup to the fill line with the chicken stock. Let it cook for about a hour and half.
    NS - Cheddar Broccoli Rice lunch cup (water to the fill line) with: chopped onions, a couple of frozen asparagus stalks snapped into small pieces, a half a can of drained chicken, and added spices and some pepper
    NS Multigrain Pilaf - added a frozen blend of onion and bell pepper and also added some broccoli and some shrimp as my PF.
    NS - Loaded Potato - add a slice of Pre-Cooked Bacon @ 20 calories for the slice. Or I may add 1 1/2 as that should still fit as a limited extra. The Real bacon enhances the flavor for my taste buds. I tried Bacon Bits first and they did not do as good a job as the real bacon. The Next one I do I may try with a slice of Canadian bacon or a PF of Canadian Bacon diced into the crock. I like Ham and Potatoes.
    NS Mexican Tortilla soup - added chicken breast (PF) and Rotel. Can also add Laughing cow
    NS Meatball dinner - added some onions, pepper and mushrooms and put it all on a hot dog bun
    NS Tortellini lunch entree - sliced crimini mushrooms, broccoli slaw, little LS chicken broth, 2T sauerkraut (sp), 1 wedge laughing cow. I put them into the crock pot in that order so that the mushrooms and broccoli slaw cooked hottest. The slaw needs the extra time to cook enough for me.
    NS Fettuccini Alfredo - added some left over green beans, some water chestnuts, fresh broccoli, a wedge of LC cheese & 4oz of cooked shrimp (my lunch PF).
    NS Mexican Style Tortilla Soup - added frozen peppers and onions, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, a tad of leftover taco meat (pf), and a chipotle laughing cow wedge(pf)
    NS Multigrain Pilaf - with frozen onions and peppers, chicken broth, chipotle Laughing cow, and just about a tbsp. of left over taco meat with homemade taco seasoning
    NS Cheddar Broccoli Rice cup (lunch) - with veggies and chicken (I use broccoli & cauliflower and precooked roasted chicken
    NS Mexican-Style Tortilla Soup - add the amount of water listed on the cup (to fill line), 1/2 cup of diced tomatoes (drained), cooked chicken (2oz), 1 cup raw broccoli and 1 cup raw cauliflower and cook until all vegetable is tender (1 1/2 to 2 hours).
    NS Chicken Parmesan Pasta - with half water, half low sodium chicken broth. added some garlic, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes and 1/4 cup Brussels sprouts.
    NS Fettuccini Alfredo - with mushrooms and turkey (I used Perdue Carving Board Turkey)
    NS Black Beans and Rice Lunch Cup - with Carrots, Canned Tomatoes, Chicken Broth, Onions, Red Bell Pepper, Chili Powder, Cumin, in the pot and cooked for a couple of hours.
    NS Mexican Tortilla Soup - with a can of diced tomatoes (with juice), 3oz of canned chicken (with water), and half a zucchini chopped. I didn't even add any extra water because the juice of the tomatoes, the water from the chicken and from the zucchini as it cooked was enough.
    NS Italian Wedding soup - with either kale or spinach, mushrooms and cooked ground turkey. I usually cook the kale or spinach in a cup or bowl in the microwave first and then cut up with scissors while still in the cup or bowl. Put the cut greens, mushrooms, turkey, and soup in the warmer. Makes a very thick soup/stew.
    NS Beans and Ham soup - with WF BBQ sauce, chopped FF hot dog and some chopped onions. Delicious!
    Baked apple in a crockpot - I decided to make my SC in it to add to my dessert. Since the crockpot only warms, I cut up an apple in chunks, added some Torani sugar-free caramel syrup (about 1-2T) and a couple dashes of cinnamon. After a couple hours, it smelled heavenly! When it was done it was perfect with a spiced "sauce". I added that to a NS frozen carrot cake and it truly felt like I was cheating, but it was just a SC and a NS dessert.
    Stuffed Pepper - i stuffed the pepper with the red rice and beans lunch pouch with hot sauce and a little WW shredded Mexican cheese.
    i poured a mix of canned tomato, onions, mushrooms and celery on top and around the pepper. i did steam the pepper a bit before cooking since i was afraid that since it was not submerged in a liquid like most other soups that it wouldn't cook the pepper right.
    Tips & Techniques:

• Tip: Kernel Seasonings, flavors are: Ranch, Buffalo Wing, Bacon Cheddar, Milk Chocolate Caramel, Nacho Cheddar & Butter. The calories range 2-5 calories for 1/4 tsp:

• Tip: Do a Google search for Dr. McDougall's food (I can't post a link). They have lots of dry cup lunches & shelf stable liquid soups in boxes. Many of them fit the NS stats & several are low sodium, if that's something you keep an eye on. I love their Tomato Basil Pasta & Minestrone cups...& their Split Pea soup. You can also find these on Amazon & on the Vitacost site.

• I start my lunch crock about 5-6 hours before lunchtime and I add hot (almost boiling) water from our hot water fountain spigot at work, and almost always raw cauliflower & raw zucchini along with whatever NS lunch I'm having, and everything does cook by lunchtime. Carrots can be a little bit hard still and sometimes I nuke them for a minute or two before adding if I am goig to use them; otherwise I do all my veggies raw and they cook just fine. I also add water almost to the crockpot fill line regardless of how much water NS says to add, and I do this for the canned NS lunches too, not just the dry cup ones and i end up with a stew/soup like concoction that I really like.

• The Mac n cheese and mashed potato items take less than an hour. If you add frozen veggies to rice dish it takes about 2 hours. But I have forgotten them for 3 or 4 hours and it doesn't hurt or burn the dish. It is like putting it on warm to hold for when you are ready.

• I have used the Kirkland (Costco) canned Chicken with it and added a little bit of the juice from the can along with the chicken. It works out that each can has 3.5 servings. A serving is 2 oz., 1 gram fat, 45 Mg Cholesterol, 270 Mg Sodium, 13 Grams Protein and 4% Vitamin C, 2% of Calcium and Iron. I think of it as fairly decent and easy. I also use it to make a Chicken salad.

• I will marinate some chicken breasts (normally in the Balsalmic dressing from Nutrisystem - it's a great marinade but I don't like it as a dressing, and I use about 1 packet per 3 breasts.) on Saturday, then Sunday I will grill them all up, chop them, and measure them out in 2 oz packages. Then, to each package I will add 1 cup to 1.5 cups of my favorite frozen veggies - normally 1/4 cup edamame/corn succotash (counts as my afternoon SC), some asparagus stir fry, chopped broccoli, and chopped spinach. I usually end up making about 12 packets, which are then super easy to just dump into the lunch crock in the morning. I use the same mix for everything
    Tips & Techniques:

thanks for these tips!!!!!
  • pattyperkins927
    pattyperkins927 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    ok, so how does the Micro Hearth grill compare to the GrillMate that they advertise on QVC? I'm guessing they are basically the same thing? I see a retangular version, and a round version that has some accesssories. Which one are you using and what all is it that you guys are using this for?