Food addiction or hormones?

Options
I hear the term "food addiction" a LOT in the WLS community. Is that really a thing? I'm more inclined to believe it's a chemical/hormonal issue that is resolved by the release of fat, subsequent stabilisation of hormones, and removal of hormone gremlin (sp?) in the stomach... Curious if there have been any studies or research done on this? The reason I think it's hormones is because when I'm PMS or ovulating I'm desperately hungry, angst, and can't find satisfaction for intense cravings... As soon as my cycle is almost done and two weeks following, I have very little appetite, no cravings, and feel peaceful... Thoughts?

Replies

• cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    It's very likely it's a combination of both. When I had the seminar where my hospital trains people about the three surgical weight loss options, they talked about how grehlin rests in the bottom of the stomach and how it impacts people post-surgery (which is to say that sometimes I have to be reminded to eat because I just don't feel hunger anymore). Anyway, their studies showed that what determines the level of hunger your body feels (how much grehlin you produce) seems to be genetic. Surgery impacts that, especially with gastric sleeve since the lower portion of your stomach where grehlin stays is gone.

Food addiction is a real thing, however, and can't be dismissed. Habit is a STRONG motivator for most people, and reaching for food as an emotional response can be just as difficult to shake as alcohol or drugs.

Just my two cents, anyway. I'm not a clinician, so grain of salt and all.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I agree, I think it is both. For PMS, I am non-stop hungry and not just for sweets. I just feel like I can't eat enough to make me not hungry. But, pre-surgery I was most definitely addicted to pop. I "had" to have it first thing in the morning and then it continued on through the day.
  • IslandSneezerooo
    IslandSneezerooo Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You're both right... I think maybe I just don't have an addictive personality. I can decide I'm not going to eat something anymore and not touch it for years without a second thought... I quit drinking diet coke cold turkey in 2005 (after 17 years of drinking 3-6 cans a day) and haven't had a single one since... I've never missed it. I realized I was having stomach pain and gas from wheat and went gluten free cold turkey back in 2010... never think about it or crave it, even when I'm hormonal... I love how sugar/carbs make me feel, but only crave that feeling (peaceful, satisfied) when I'm hormonal (which is the only time I feel angsty and hungry), but I don't think it's an addiction otherwise I'd want it all the time, right, not just when I'm feeling hormonal?