Lowest Carb Go To's?

Options
Mhairih30
Mhairih30 Posts: 15 Member
I'm trying my best to stay under the 20kg of carbs a day but after filling out my diary for today I'm at 29 :smirk:

For breakfast I have had crustless quiche consisting of 2 eggs, spinach and mushrooms.
For lunch I'm having Spinach, Romaine Lettuce, Cherry Tomatoes, 3 Rashers of bacon, half a chicken breast, sprinkling of parmesan shavings and some garlic mayo.
For dinner I'm having Chicken leg & thigh with steamed asparagus.
Snacks two boiled eggs. Couple of cups of tea with a dash of lacto free milk.

Can anyone see where I'm going wrong? I've also gone over on calories. I really want to commit to this way of eating and am so disappointed I've gone over today.

Any help greatly appreciated :smile:

Replies

• RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Have you checked mfp addition. it made 11 + 0 = 13 the other day!
  • Mhairih30
    Options
    Sorry I'm not to up on the MPF, what does that mean if you don't mind me asking :smile:
  • Mhairih30
    Options
    ahhhh sorry I think I get it....do you mean go through and add them up myself?
  • Mhairih30
    Options
    I checked there and all seems to be correct, thanks :smile:
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    'MFP' means My Fitness Pal, and more specifically in this case your food diary. Are you able to make your diary visible for others to look at? Then we can get an idea of the quantities you're eating of things and where the problem areas may lie. I don't know how carb-filled (or not) your lacto free milk is, for example.

To be honest, the amount of veggies you're eating is adding to your carb count. Even the green leaves can add up. You can look at the data next to each entry that you make to see how many carbs are in each item and make some changes by what you see yourself, even if you don't want to open the diary up for others to view. My diary is open if you want to look at that, you don't have to friend me, you can just go look. Just click on my avatar and then you'll see 'View Diary' as an option and you can click backwards through my days.

I aim for less than 15 grams of carbs per day. My record was 2 grams for the whole day on Monday of this week, my highest (since 23rd January when I started) was 30, but it's not a competition and there's nothing wrong with 29 grams unless you've been really badly metabollicaly challenged. Under 50 grams is enough for most people, and if you're not aiming to be keto then I believe that under 100 grams (or even more) is fine.

All the best in your new journey!
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I'd try cream instead of milk, as it's generally much lower in carbs. Otherwise, yeah, it's the veg. What she^^^ said.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest cucumber instead of tomato with your salads, and maybe replace the romaine with kale or arugula?
  • Mhairih30
    Options
    Thank for your replies everyone. I was trying to add a bit of green in to make it a bit healthier, I will reduce the amount of veg I'm having tomorrow and see how I go :smile:
  • glossbones
    Options
    I always find my stomach gets upset when I eat lettuce-based salads. It really helped me get over that "you need more vegetables!" mindset.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    and maybe replace the romaine with kale or arugula?

Nononono!

Keep the romaine: it's 1.1 net carb per 100g, arugula is 2.1, kale is EIGHT!

• glossbones
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    and maybe replace the romaine with kale or arugula?

Nononono!

Keep the romaine: it's 1.1 net carb per 100g, arugula is 2.1, kale is EIGHT!

Yes, you're right. I mis-remembered because romaine upsets my stomach I forgot why I haven't touched the stuff!

Mea culpa!
  • ibetty55
    ibetty55 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If you are in the U.S. Look at your fiber count and deduct that from your carbs to get Net. That is what is important for many people if you have no extenuating health issues. The veggies you listed are pretty high fiber
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I eat vegetables and give myself a little leeway because they are higher carb. As long as I don't exceed my goal in NET carbs (carbs minus fiber), I don't panic.

Edit to add: I eat lower carb vegetables as much as possible, tending to stick with green ones like broccoli and spinach and lettuce and asparagus (because who doesn't love asparagus? ;-)). I avoid corn and carrots. Tomatoes are an occasional treat (they are technically fruit, though) added to salad or a burger or in the form of a sauce on top of a portabello mushroom cap pizza or beanless chili.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder that I should go cut asparagus soon.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »
    Thanks for the reminder that I should go cut asparagus soon.

I don't cut it...I find the natural "snap" of the stems, then keep the stems for stock! LOL Cutting would probably be quicker though.